Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

GETTING TO KNOW YOU NOVEMBER 2020 by GLITTERWOLF

18 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Can't feel them on you?

:blink:

I have yet to be born by a tick because I always feel them on me. Probably helps that I'm rather furry...:lol:

I'll occasionally feel one on me. But they're so small that a lot of the time I'll find them on me without knowing they were there. We do a lot of tick checks in the field. And also, What Kuroneko says below. 

12 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

Speaking as someone who would love to read those stories, couldn't you just put them behind a spoiler wall? Then they'd only have themselves to blame if they looked :ph34r:

If I remember correctly, they inject an anaesthetic into the host so they feed in peace :zombie:

Where's the fun in that? All right...

Spoiler

But I'll be brief, I'm supposed to be working right now. 

This is a Northern Water Snake. Completely non-venomous. But fast, strong, and if you're not looking for it pretty hard to spot on rocky beaches where we find it. 

P1200195.thumb.JPG.c2fe12b1333df1912dab7fe48e559dd5.JPG

I took this last year after she bit me just above my mud boots. She was probably hiding on a bigger rock covered in mud and smaller rocks that I was stepping over. Must have spooked her because all I know is that I got a strong pinch behind my knee out of nowhere. She stayed on me for about three big strides away from her rock before letting go and then wriggling into a defensive ball and striking at us. She was probably about two and a half feet long. We left her where she was and went and did our jobs. We saw her again on the way back and she had calmed down enough to let me take a picture from a respectful distance. I've been bit by other snakes, typically when handling them. Once by a venomous Copperhead at a place known by the picturesque name of Dog Slaughter Falls. But that's a whole other, longer story.  But this is probably one of the only times I've been surprised by a snake like that.  Left a good bruise.

And as for spiders. Couple of years ago we were hiking up a steep stream in Appalachia to get to a pipeline cut. It was pretty hot out, but because we were within a certain distance of a large compressor station we were all required to where fireproof overalls and hard hats. Most of us keep those things zipped up to the necks (see above about me not liking ticks). But his one consultant was wearing his with the front zipped open. We stop to look at a feature in the stream and while we're talking a wolf spider (often mistaken by non-spider people for a tarantula) about four inches long drops on this guys shoulder and then immediately scurries inside his open overalls and down his back. We're all covered in sweat and grime and pushing through thick vegetation so there is no way he's feeling this. I'm the only one to see it and I just gently put my hand around his arm and tell him to stop. I'm afraid he's going to panic so I don't tell him what just crawled down his back but that something "fell" in there. I pull his collar way back and this thing crawls up the side of his neck. Everyone sees it and reacts, he realizes there's something on him and freezes. A fast thinking intern stepped up and grabbed it by the abdomen and set it on a nearby tree. As she's doing that this guy sees it for the first time and his eyes go wide and he starts breathing heavy. It took the rest of us about half an hour to get out of that little stream valley. It took that guy about five minutes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 5th.

Is there an animal that you're really afraid of?

And why?

Humans are gonna top /that/ list.

Semi-feral animals are next down; no fear of humans, no reason to trust humans. Bad combo. :/

I'm generally fairly easy-going otherwise. You do your thing in your space, I do mine. Spiders still get the jump reaction if they startle me, but I've got to a point where, if I know they're there, I'm okay. The bigger they are, the less okay I am, so, tarantulas... eheh. No. I do not wish to share space with spiders bigger than my hands. 

I am completely fine with snakes. I'd love an opportunity to handle a really big snek...  ^^;

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 5th.

And why?

Chickens. I'm not joking. I really hate chickens. My friend's family used to have an open chicken barn, where the hens aren't in cages. While this is much more humane, we had to walk through the chickens to get to the egg machine. The chickens would peck at your feet. I absolutely flipped. So I would kick the chickens, which you're not supposed to do because it stresses them and they have blood in the eggs. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 5th.

And why?

Nope. I must have a gene that should've been weeded out by natural selection. I think dragons are cute... imagine how I feel about bears. I'm more likely to confront an animal than run. I've gotten to play with a lion cub hold a few snakes and feed grapes to fruit bats. I'm really not afraid of hoomans either, not in the danger aspect at least (social situations and idiocy are different). 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 6th.

What's the scariest thing you've ever done and why did you do it?

(What) I made a hard, fast, left hand turn on a kid-size Schwinn brand, one speed, bicycle.

(Why) I wanted to LIVE.

(When) I was nine at the time.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

If I remember correctly, they inject an anaesthetic into the host so they feed in peace :zombie:

I'm one of the lucky (not sarcastic) 10% who are allergic to the anesthetic they inject, and I start itching like hell.  It takes hours for ticks to be attached to transmit disease, so I can usually avaiod having one on me for more than an hour.  Once though one bit me in the center of the back while in the deep woods.  I figured I have a particularly itchy zit that I couldn't reach. By the time we got out of the wood and realized it was a deer tick, it had been on for over a day and I had the beginnings of Lyme disease.

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 6th.

Became a father.  Seemed like a good idea at the time.  Still keeps me up at night sometimes, even 21 years later.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Question November 6th.

Will be doing it tomorrow - An audition that I would like to prepare more of, for a course from a reputable theatre company here. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Question November 6th.

I have done LOTS of things that frightened me in retrospect, but not while I was doing them. A certain lack of judgement can lead to an interesting life.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Question November 6th.

Willingly or unwillingly took part in? 

Unwillingly would probably be the seatbelt test a military helicopter pilot did, where he showed off just how far the helicopter can roll - great way to momentarily scare a kid, making the horizon suddenly be a LOT higher... Then get in serious trouble with my dad after! Afterwards (when I realized it was a deliberate thing) I thought it was neat, but that split moment of whuuuuhtt??!?... 

Willingly? Oddly enough, not much comes to mind, although I've had a few "fun" encounters with black ice at work, so I'll go with one of those. One winter I turned onto a road I'd driven many a time. It's a slow, easy downwards road in the river valley, and I got this odd feeling that conditions were just right for it to be slick... Super slick.... So instead of the typical speed limit of 50 kph, I decided to slow down to 35 kph for the first relatively easy turn... And just to be safe, I was keeping a very close eye on the lane next to me, doing my best to ensure it was empty, since I was in a cargo van known for being light on the rear end AND I was completely empty, and going down meant most of the weight was shifted even more to the front wheels. 

Good thing I did, because in the blink of an eye, forwards was looking out my driver's side window with a partially cut off view, my arms had already reacted to counter the spin, and I held that awkward position for several seconds until the heavier front end of the vehicle naturally swung back into being up front again...  Breathed a long sigh of relief after that to say the least. 

Yup, when my body does that odd tense up and I get that weird "something doesn't feel right up ahead" feeling, I listen to it. 

I think the best part was seeing some of the fearful looks in the vehicles behind me that were moving to pass me just moments before because I was going "too slow", because so many of them slowed down once they saw me rotate on the road... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 6th.

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Became a father.  Seemed like a good idea at the time.  Still keeps me up at night sometimes, even 21 years later.

Yeah, this. Becoming a father. Leap of faith, bringing a child into the world. The ultimate act of hope that the world *will be a better place* for them to grow up in.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Question November 6th.

Back in my early 20s, I willingly walked into a situation that could've ended...badly. The sort of thing that statistics are made of. A friend of mine during his divorce had some property stolen, and another friend of mine was dead set on going over to the exwife's and getting it back. This guy, who I'd known since 4th grade, always had a sort of chip on his shoulder, and was not exactly blessed when it came to good judgement, so when he showed up at the house and told me what he was going to do, I had to make a choice. He'd told me he was armed with two pistols, and I knew the sort of people who the exwife was running with, and most importantly I knew exactly how this would end if I didn't go.

On the other hand, I knew very well that the odds were going to be high that by going I might be caught up in some serious things that would change my life for the worse if I walked out of there at all. But since I knew exactly what would happen if I let my friend go by himself, I knew I had a chance to maybe head things off before they went sideways. So, I went. Looking back some of it was I guess a sense of duty, responsibility, some of it was that if I didn't, and things went sideways, I knew I would spend the rest of my life blaming myself for it, and there was a certain amount of curiousity. It's one thing to sit on the couch and talk about what one may do in certain situations, how one would hold up, and here I had an opportunity to find out.

So I agree to go with, and after a few preperations we get to the exwife's. Things immediately start going South, the crew of shady types is there, around five of them, and as soon as we walk in, my friend goes into his billy badelf routine like he was auditioning for a Hollywood role...I on the other hand, having the reputation of being a drunken clown, had already splashed some whiskey on my face before we left. So the shady types, smelling that, knowing my reputation, figured I was harmless, didn't notice that I'd made my way into the corner next to the screen door, where I was behind and to the left of them. Good to get the drop on them if it came to it, and next to an exit. I was also going on with a solid string of jokes and bullelfery, so I'm keeping three of them somewhat distracted. My friend meanwhile is continuing to overplay the tough guy card, to the point he never noticed the fourth guy disappear a minute, then come back in with a bulge in his waistband, and started trying to find a corner of his own, where he could blindside my friend.

I can't remember with certainty just how long all this went on, probably around five ten minutes, then I see a car pull into the driveway. A couple more shady types get out, one of them has what looks to me like a rifle or a shotgun, and now we're outnumbered by a significant amount as well. So I manage to get my friend out of there, by now his own instincts were screaming a bit belatedly, and he's screaming at me, calling me every name in the book, because he figured I wasn't backing him up.

After we get in the truck and on our way out, he sees shotgun dude and his friends and shuts up. As we get back onto the road, there's another car load of them coming and I start explaining to him just how bad of a situation it really had been, tacticswise. Before going in, I'd taken one of his pistols, both for my own protection, and also because without the second one, he wouldn't be quite so reckless as he would've been with both.(my main concern was that he would lose his temper and pull the gun out, which would've sent us immediately into the the land of bad things) I hand it back to him, explaining the cold math. He'd only had five bullets in each, there had been close to fifteen of the shady types there when we left, and I told him about the fourth guy. Which my friend had noticed him moving on him, but had overlooked the gun the guy had and the fact that he'd made a quick phone call to his buddies. I explained to him why I had acted as I had, and tore into him a bit for his attempts to escalate things towards the end, letting him know very well that if he'd had his way, this would've ended with both of us buried in the septic field.

Around this time I think it kicked in for him, that he would have been the prime target and that there was no way he would've walked out of there if things went sideways. So I wound up driving us the rest of the way back. It caught up to me later that evening. 

Looking back, what fear I felt at the time was concerning making it out of there, keeping my friend out of jail or a coffin, whereas now I ponder more the general idiocy of all concerned, not excluding myself. My friend was doing what he thought he had to do, to a certain extent maybe he did, if only to calm his own insecurities. I did what I thought I had to do out of loyalty with an undercurrent of curiousity, and the ego that my presence there would make a difference. 

I suppose I was right, since we walked away, the shady types walked away, and things never reached that point. But the what ifs from this still bother me occasionally. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 6th.

Now THAT is a long list. My only metric when I was a younger man was 'would it be fun?' So I ended up close to death many, many, many times. Missed my calling as a stuntman, to be honest. Then there's also scary situations, but not from things I've done (things like getting shot at or jumped or living in LA during the King Riots).

I guess a good candidate would be one time in the mountains of California. I used to free climb, which is rock climbing without any safety gear. Unless you consider a backpack with a few bottles of beer 'safety gear', I guess. Anyway, one time I was racing a friend up the face, each of us on one side of a large cleft. I found a nice seam that would let me shimmy over to the corner, lots of vertical grips there.

However, as I edged along, feet firmly in a large horizontal crack, hands above my head on a nice 3" shelf (meaning very stable movement), the rock bellied outward at my midsection gradually...until I was barely able to reach with either my hands or feet. So there I am, hundreds of feet up a rock face, toes barely touching, fingertips only, my butt pushed out as far as it could go (the bulge was gradual, but ran the entire length of my body!). 

I guess I should mention at this time that I originally took up climbing to get over my fear of heights, so here I am, stuck with my only option to slowly make my way back to my original solid position at the beginning of the bulge. Panic rises up, has to be pushed back down. I eventually made it back, ascended to the top and had a couple beers before 'skiing' down the scree (basically jumping onto the scree hundreds of feet up and controlling my slide down by a controlled side slip move).

I've had a lot more dramatic events that were pretty scary, I think the slowness of this one is why it sticks out for me.

On the same face a couple months later, I came up to a small ledge about 3/4 of the way up that was a nice place to sit and dangle my feet while maybe sipping a beer. Except this time there was a chipmunk directly at eye level as I crested the ridge. Which doesn't sound too bad, if not for the giant raptor directly behind him, staring directly into my face. There was a what felt like an hour-long tableau, and the chipper finally bolted. The hawk took flight with a huge gust of flapping wings and wind that almost knocked me loose. Heart was fit to burst out of my chest that time!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Scariest thing was on May 4th 1970.  I took part in a protest to the Kent State shootings by sitting in the road of a major 4 lane street in Cleveland.  I did it because I thought that there was no reason for the National Guard to fire.  This will also be another answer to yesterdays question.  Normally I am not frightened by Horses, but if you have to jump up a three foot wall to escape a galloping horse that is trying to run you over, you are frightened.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1