Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

GETTING TO KNOW YOU NOVEMBER 2020 by GLITTERWOLF

Feeling down is pretty easy this year.  With all the changes we've all faced in 2020, it's pretty much a sure thing everyone has hit a low point.  Weather, Covid, economy, riots, news cycles, social media, isolation, stay-at-home orders and on and on.  So many things have changed in a single year. 

My motto this year has been, "it could be worse."  Each time i hit a wall or feel like I'm dealing with a lot, i try to put perspective on my situation.  Everyone has to face struggles and some are harder than others, but when your in the moment it can feel like you're dealing with something that's unique. How you deal with it may be unique, but the situation is often not.  Seeking positivity is a challenge at times, but it fills the soul more than the alternative.  Recognizing what brings me joy or helps me recharge has been a great outlet to keep myself going.  Fishing, camping, biking with my daughter, writing letters to friends (yes, i still do that), or just even getting up a little earlier to have a cup of coffee.  

Change is difficult and this year really pushed me to a limit.  However, finding new means of creating routines to help me push through all the chaos or inconsistency has been really helpful.  I gave up Facebook back in 2012 and look at that like it was the best thing i could have done.  Much of the distrust, stress, anger, and wasted time i get from so many around me stems somewhere from Facebook.  If anyone is feeling low, first thing I'd remove is time spent there.  If you notice a positive change after a couple weeks, then pull back further until your finally weaned away.  Having genuine dialogue with those close to you, picking up the phone (not texting), or like i said earlier writing a letter, is infinitely more rewarding.  

In short - seek positivity and create routines that negate the chaos. "It could be worse" has saved me from spiraling into dark times.

Edited by R2ED
Typo
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 11th.

If you're feeling down what's the best way to get you out of it?

I don't get down very often, but when I do these are what help most.

First, I need to be alone. My wife struggles with this as when she's down she wants to be around people. But I need time by myself to recharge.

If I can be at the track it fixes everything.  I don't exaggerate when I call it my Happy Place. As soon as I arrive all of my outside stresses go away and it is like being in a completely separate world.

If a beach is available, a couple hours there will do me a world of good.  Doesn't need to be nice and sunny. A cold blustery day with big waves is awesome.

If it is sunny and warm, a long drive with the windows down and the music cranked.

Otherwise just spending some alone time puttering.  I'll usually find something I've wanted to do and immerse myself in it (this could be hobbying, or computer stuff, or just series I've been putting off watching). When I come out the other side of that I'm usually feeling much better.

And of course chocolate always helps.

Sleeping it off doesn't work for me.  It keeps me up and when I do sleep it is crappy.  So the next day I'm still down but also cranky.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 11th.

Booze and old Bill Murry movies.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 11th.

Silly answer: invert gravity. There, now what was down is up! 

Actual answer: I find there is no best way, but a variety of things tend to work. Play a game, do hobbying stuff. In general, things that relax me, and I enjoy tend to help. 

Other things that are... Deeper are... Harder to keep tabs on.  My uncle Ken's death, for example, probably won't get as much resolution until the TSB concludes their investigation, which may take over a year from now before anything is decided and declared.  For that, I reflect on all the good he's done, the life he led, and such, but there's still that sadness that tries to come back in, but it doesn't hurt quite as much now compared to September. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 11th.

Seven years ago the answer would have been music and heavy exercise (involving lots of hitting things). These days it's still music, but combined with giving me my space; just leave me alone, I'll get out of it with enough time.

Puppies also tend to work well. A series of good tail wag from Molly or Dixie does wonders.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 11th.

Work. Doing something that forces me to concentrate, or just anything that occupies my hands and my time, usually stops me dwelling on whatever has me down. Then, when whatever I've been working on is finished, I have a completed project or bit of housework done. And that usually cheers me up just a little bit. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 11th.

It's hard for me to do anything when I'm feeling a bit low, because everything just seems so utterly pointless, so I basically mope around feeling sorry for myself until it passes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION NOVEMBER 12th.

2020 has been rough, share a positive event / happy moment you had this year.

@Reaper_Jon was kind enough to pick 2 of my painted minis to show in the "stuff of the week" section of Reaperlivand Friday show a couple of weeks ago :bday: It was awesomely surreal to see them on the show! Also, I was so chuffed that @TaleSpinner liked my interpretation of his awesome Mystic Portal, because it really gave me a major confidence boost. I'm my own worst enemy with regards to actually finishing minis, so the support(along with everyone on the forums that commented) is truly and deeply appreciated.

Here's the minis in question, one of these days I'll get round to that "3 colour rule" that I keep on heading about :ph34r:

316300032_1877719303_DSCN43741.thumb.JPG.83c7226d8fc8a2b0f3fee22c2c26f9c7(1).jpeg.c3cc6719a6d26093a00b4725e0c63435.jpeg1551981007_DSCN43841.thumb.JPG.1918b27afffedf9f1cb8ebaf0526b6bb.jpeg.a111852c4ec5b090d1b561b3360f2299.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

@Reaper_Jon was kind enough to pick 2 of my painted minis to show in the "stuff of the week" section of Reaperlivand Friday show a couple of weeks ago :bday: It was awesomely surreal to see them on the show! Also, I was so chuffed that @TaleSpinner liked my interpretation of his awesome Mystic Portal, because it really gave me a major confidence boost. I'm my own worst enemy with regards to actually finishing minis, so the support(along with everyone on the forums that commented) is truly and deeply appreciated.

Here's the minis in question, one of these days I'll get round to that "3 colour rule" that I keep on heading about :ph34r:

316300032_1877719303_DSCN43741.thumb.JPG.83c7226d8fc8a2b0f3fee22c2c26f9c7(1).jpeg.c3cc6719a6d26093a00b4725e0c63435.jpeg1551981007_DSCN43841.thumb.JPG.1918b27afffedf9f1cb8ebaf0526b6bb.jpeg.a111852c4ec5b090d1b561b3360f2299.jpeg

Both minis are truly fantastic paint jobs.  I personally feel blessed by your work, seriously.  Thank you.

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION NOVEMBER 12th.

My eldest son got engaged to this long time girlfriend, whom I already love as if she were our own daughter.  I got the rare opportunity to make her engagement ring.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION NOVEMBER 12th.

Turned 70 still breathing.  Also I have got much better at Disc Golf.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

QUESTION NOVEMBER 12th.

I got to start playing a minis game again.  It had been, oh a long time...10-15 years since I'd regularly played.  We played a few games with my gaming group, but it was mostly trying things out while someone was away, nothing really regular or consistently. 

And it almost didn't happen.  My first night I was supposed to go to the store to play Legion was the day they shut everything down in March, so it of course got cancelled.  But now the store has been open a couple of months and we get to play every other week, so I'm enjoying that and it has me actually focused on a game for the first time in a long time.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

QUESTION NOVEMBER 12th.

- my two weeks of vacation was enjoyed this year, even if it felt like it vanished in no time (usually I can't stand more than one week at a time) 

- new monitors are lovely. So nice to have triple 27" displays, with the center one being a gaming one that once I switch over to Windows 10 will be G-Sync Compatible (right now drivers cap it at 75Hz, oh well - it will be a 48-144 Hz display with Windows 10) 

- finally got my airbrush and spray booth! Im looking forward to giving it a whirl this upcoming weekend! 

- I'm building that tank I keep wanting to build.. Although, y'know, it's kind of stolen by gnolls (I'll get the WIP thread started eventually, figure I'll start it once it actually hits the desk and I'm actually doing something with it)... And I'm rather happy about such a combination, because, well, gnolls. 

- While there were numerous losses in the family, I got to say goodbye to the big one we knew was coming. The other major one, I'm doing a mini up with his airshow colours. Ordered the mini kit last night, actually ^_^

- I finally got my HOTAS set up, and have had "trouble" pulling myself away from Elite:Dangerous again, which is a good thing since its fun, and relaxing. 

- I have desk mounts now on the way thanks to crazy efficient Germans (quote four weeks, they're shipped four days later), AND a new joystick for my HOTAS on the way (I wanted a higher end one) 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1