Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

GETTING TO KNOW YOU NOVEMBER 2020 by GLITTERWOLF

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 18th.

What was your first job?

It depends on how you count it; I got some odd bits of money here and there for acting, having done a few things for local children’s theater groups in Dearborn, Michigan, but my first real 9-5 (more or less) job was as a tour guide (presenter) at the Greenfield Village/Henry Ford Museum complex in Dearborn.  That was in 1979, but after the crash course on antique furniture style and evolution, I can still tell a Chippendale piece from a Queen Anne piece at a glance 40 years later :rolleyes: (and tell you all about Thomas Edison’s Menlo Park laboratory, where, like a proper mad scientist’s lair, there was a pipe organ against the back upstairs wall of the main lab building).

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 18th.

What was your first job?

Movie theater usher. I was age 15, and worked at the local cinema. I learned the fine art of sweeping up popcorn off carpet with a tiny broom and dustpan, that children's movie are a nightmare to clean up after (though they sometimes leave unopened candy behind), and that soda for fountain machines comes as concentrated syrup, and then gets mixed with water and CO2 in the fountain machine (1 part syrup to 6 parts water).

I also learned you can get the pure syrup out of the machine (too hard to get it out of the boxes, lots of safety lock features to ensure no drippage), and that Mt. Dew syrup is great on pancakes. Really kickstarts your morning.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question November 18th.

What was your first job?

Well, that depends on what we call a job, since I grew up on a farm...I had lots of "chores" that others might consider jobs....

But if we look at something with extra financial compensation, that would probably have been haying.

First job outside of the farm field would have been a summer job working as a "general IT guy" for the Dept of Housing for the city I grew up near in 89, doing everything from making and running cable, to system admin for vaxen, to making custom menus for the secretaries' PCs (which would have been 286s.....).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question November 18th.

What was your first job?

I believe that would be working retail, specifically at a clothing store called Northern Elements.  I particularly liked their wolf sweaters at the time. 

By the end of that Xmas season I sure wanted to murder the next person who wanted to buy my shirt and couldn't understand that no, they don't give us clothes to wear, we were just allowed to wear what we wanted, provided it was sold by the company (and y'know, we had bought it). Some days it was literally two dozen people trying to buy the shirt off my back... 

Also was not amused by all the people with their "oh, it'll just be a second" requests, who didn't care they'd already spent fifteen minutes of my time trying to get me to try clothes on because "I look the same height as the person it's being purchased for", or that we had two dozen other customers waiting impatiently behind them so they could pay for something... 

Yeah, I was glad to escape that hell into a different one, because at least in fast food they're slightly more polite about wasting your time... Funny how a physical barrier and you holding a knife (plus potentially their food) makes them pay slightly more attention/respect to you.  (then I escaped to warehouse work, then delivery) 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 18th.

What was your first job?

I don't remember. It was one of several after school factory jobs when I was fifteen or so.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question November 18th.

What was your first job?

To help pay for college I worked as a pump jockey at a Gas Station.  You had to have an employee pump the gas and we washed your windshield and checked your oil at the same time.  Sometimes for under a quarter for a gallon of gas if there was a price war on.  For some of the time we even had to wear ties.  Stupid things around a running engine when checking out a noisy fan belt.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question November 18th.

What was your first job?

Not counting general farm labor and occasionally getting paid a few bucks to bale hay for my neighbor, it was working at a factory after school. I can't remember the name of the place, but the job was to sort through bales of denim and organize them into piles based on size and quality. You'd come home covered in denim fluff and itchy as all hell. And after a single shift you'd be blowing blue snot out of your nose for days. Over the years I've worked in some factories that had actual air conditioning, but this wasn't one of them. And the building had pretty much zero air flow. You can imagine what that's like when covered in denim at around 100 degrees F. The place was pretty bad and so the only people they could get to work there were teenage kids like me who needed a job, ex cons, and the kind of guys who get fired for showing up drunk. But hey, it wasn't all great, the pay sucked too. Lasted about a month before I finally decided to cut my hair and go work at a fast food place.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Question November 18th.

What was your first job?

library. I put the books on the shelves and answered stupid questions.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18th

Dishwasher at one of the local restaurants. Not the most glorious job but I got paid + I worked my way up to prep cook & then line cook, before leaving. I did meet some pretty cool people & one guy kinda got me into classic rock n roll, or at least more love for it. He was a Vietnam vet & such. He also brought some whiskey that we took shots from in the cooler. He was a cool character, I was sad the day he quit.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 18th.

What was your first job?

Farm slave. Other than that I've only done very short term contract jobs using equipment like skidsteers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Question November 18th.

What was your first job?

Worked for a hardware store: Trustworthy Hardware.  Was a competitor to True Value at the time.  Eventually they shut down all of the retail stores and focused on just being a distributor.  I had already signed to join the Navy so I didn't bother looking for a new job afterwards.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question November 18th.

What was your first job?

I worked as a trap setter for a local rod and gun club.  I was 12.  I got paid $2.50 an hour cash plus all the pop I wanted.  I had 2 jobs, set the clay pigeons on the throwers after each throw and keep score and push the button for the shooters.  We worked in teams of 2 boys, alternating jobs.  It was boring and monotonous, but I made a lot of money for a 12 year-old kid.  I'm pretty sure in retrospect that it was illegal as hell, but that was a lot of how country life went.

I also worked for all the local farmers doing odd jobs like picking rocks and baling hay.  

And I ran my own trap line, trapping gophers for the local farmers (gopher holes can break cow legs).  I got $1 per tail from the county and one farmer matched them if I caught them on his land.  

I also cut grass for local old people.

I hatched eggs for people too, after I bought an incubator with my trap setting money.  One local resort even paid me to hatch their peacock eggs!

My first legal job was as a cashier at the new Hardee's they built in a near-by town (our area's first fast food that wasn't DQ) when I was 16. I remember being shocked by the taxes/SS removal from my pay.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question November 18th.

What was your first job?

Depends how you qualify "job".

• The first one where people gave me money for serious work (not yard work), was working in a lab, preparing samples (tree needles actually) for one of my dad's grad students' research project (early 90s). It was more of a contract work, as once all of the samples were done, the job was over.
  • The first conventional job would be working the weekend graveyard shift in a convenience store. (mid 90s)
  • The first job as a professional in my field of study, with benefits, would be as a plastics processing engineer. (mid 2000s)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 18th.

What was your first job?

I kind of had two. I was working at Safeway on the freight crew (never again!) and was working in a warehouse part time. I haven't had a lot of jobs...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 18th.

What was your first job?

Like many others, I was free child labor. Hated it at the time, but it gave me a solid work ethic. It was also back when kids actually worked for money, mowing lawns and whatnot. I made decent money doing stuff for neighbors, one had a horse farm and there were always a few bucks to be made. And I was always up for splitting and stacking wood.

First 'w-2' kind of job was as a general laborer on a road construction crew. I loved the work (and the pay was crazy good for an 18yr old), but the hours were pretty long and my penchant for always volunteering for overtime started cutting into the productivity of my band (which was my primary concern at the time).

First career was musician, but it turns out I was terrible at the business part. Tough industry. Spent many years doing all kinds of work, which ended up being amazing for my general competency level. I can definitely see a difference between myself and folks I work with that came out of college directly into their career jobs, they're not very versatile or flexible, relatively speaking.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1