Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

GETTING TO KNOW YOU NOVEMBER 2020 by GLITTERWOLF

21 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Do your fur people like steak? :poke: Order for two (or three, four, five) and do takeaway.

Many moons ago I waited tables for a summer at an open air restaurant in NYC. It was by the river, and dogs were welcome, we had water bowls to give four-legged diners and boxes of treats to give them (if their owners didn't object). Anyways, there was one guy who would always come in with his dog, small enough to fit under his arm, and he'd order two hamburgers, one thoroughly cooked and just on a bun for his dog. He was a cool regular.

My fur person does indeed love steak, but she also loves "cat nuggets". It seems like a waste to feed a steak to someone with such refined tastes. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 26th.

If there would be only one Season, which on would you prefer?

( Summer/Winter/Autumn/Spring...just in case one would go for hunting season or something like that:poke:)

What's with all the fall answers? Fall around here sucks. We don't have pretty leaves, only yellow ones that last for less than a week before a huge wind blows them away. Early fall is also when everyone spreads manure in the fields, as harvest is done and they're waiting for the calves to be weaned and sent from the auction mart. Because it's Alberta, you can have an Indian summer one weekend and wet snow the next. I absolutely love Halloween, but the year I was born it was -20C and the coldest Halloween on record. Mommy and I were actually kept overnight in the hospital because they felt it was too cold for us to travel back to the farm. (That doesn't happen 36 years on.)

So I vote for eternal summer! Canoeing and swimming every day, hopefully not down the Kananaskis. But if it's 30C out, swimming mountain rivers is actually quite nice. Campfires, marshmallows, burgers, veggies from the garden, Muskol cologne... I heart summer!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Question November 26th:

If there would be only one Season, which one would you prefer?

Autumn?
Or maybe I mean Holiday Season  ??

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Autumn, 'cause it's got the best holiday--Halloween.

It also contains the 2nd and 3rd best holidays. 

“It” being: Oct-Nov-Dec.***

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

The early days of Autumn.

image.jpg

From this ^ to ^ New Years Eve that’s my preferred Season. 

***This is close to Astronomical Fall; shifted about ten days. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Question November 26th.

( Summer/Winter/Autumn/Spring...just in case one would go for hunting season or something like that:poke:)

That sweet spot between Spring and Summer, where it's warm but not too hot and the rains come just often enough to refresh everything. And before all the bugs come out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

My fur person does indeed love steak, but she also loves "cat nuggets". It seems like a waste to feed a steak to someone with such refined tastes. 

"Kitty Roca" is what my dad calls it... :lol:

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 26th.

And here I was about to have the famous debate:

sesaons.thumb.jpg.42f0f04b177c03d949e5b832c247c257.jpg

More of an early fall/autumn person. I don't like hot weather, I don't like cold weather. I like weather where I can have a hooded sweatshirt and jeans. Late fall is too cold and wet here, same for early spring.

12 hours ago, kitchen_wolf said:

So it turns out that a fair number of housecats can't digest beef.  As in they will jettison the cargo more or less immediately.  That was an interesting morning...

Score one more point for dogs. Mine don't boak from normal food, and they at least have the courtesy to look sorry/ashamed when they do... unlike a certain cat who cost me three socks today because I stepped in three separate piles on a dark rug. :grr:

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Weekend Challenge November 27th / 29th.

Most of us have a favorite Fantasy/Scifi/Steampunk race.

Tell us which one, why this appeals to you, show the best pics of your creations, write a background story for your race/army/favorite character.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Tell us which one, why this appeals to you, show the best pics of your creations, write a background story for your race/army/favorite character.

This is going to sound really weird, but I'm a fan of humans in most things. We're in the perfect sweet spot of adaptability, moral flexibility, power, and longevity. Most other races are "humans but something" with doesn't really appeal to me for the most part.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Dwarves. But then seeing as I have a tendency to grumble, am somewhat rotund, and also usually find a way to utilize an ax to do most outdoor chores, this shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone. My dislike of bright sunny days falls in line with this as well, as does my fondness for tobacco, and booze.

So I find them relatable in a number of ways. 

My Coffee Dwarf idea largely came about due to both a progression of my previous ranting about Agamenthar the Coffee God to my coworkers at the time, and a stumbling block concerning what colors to use on some Wizkids Dwarf Warriors I was painting as gifts. I found that existing Warhammer lore concerning Dwarves could fit easily with the Coffee Cult, and that over caffinated Slayers made a kind of sense. Combining this with the idea that instead of the usual Scottish accent, Dwarves with the accent and vocal patterns of Joe Pesci getting fanatical about their chosen coffee type blended with some of the habits my crew of friends had years ago. Gargantuan amounts of sugar, no milk or cream allowed, and if you spill a single drop you get a vicious knuckle wapping with a spoon...the allowing of the booze also dated back to the old days, and the allowing of the blood of one's enemies was merely a practical consideration concerning carrying an open topped mug into battle. 

The factions being based on Maxwell House, Folders, and Dunkin Donuts solved my need for a paint scheme, would allow for the difference in size and style of Dwarf minis from different manufacturers, and played well with the religious way in which Dwarves view coffee. Also fitting elves to Starkbucks as opponents was easy enough, Postum and other fake coffee products worked as demonic entities, and the lore concerning Agamenthar's connection to Our Lady of Tobacco was born from various mythologies humanizing the gods to the point that certain tales sound like something out of Jerry Springer. Which I suppose is true enough to the human experience, and allows for Agamenthar and his followers to have a certain comedic tone by dialing things up to 11 every so often. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I always liked the so called evil races, Chaos, Undead and I love the brighly coloured Lizard and Snakemen.

But somehow my old time favorite are the Undead in all their forms, ranging from the Gothic Undead, the Egyptian themed ones to the more obscure ones from other cultures.

In the end I think the Classic Gothic Undead are my favorite.

I can't resist a good looking Vampire mini, and it does includes Werewolves in my mind.

Some Undead I painted over the years.

Background varies in my several projects.

Reaper Insp.JPG

20201010_143826.jpg

DSCN0299.JPG

DSCN0135.JPG

Miniatures010_zpsba04e033 - kopie.jpg

• Like 12

I've always been partial to dragonmen. As with most things, it stems from my love of the Dragonlance setting, and the draconians. They had wings (mostly), and each type had consequences to their slayer when they died. They just captivated me. Been wanting for years to make some custom ones, but can't find enough different poses that are easily converted to have a good variety (I want like 10-12ish unique ones).

I think one of the first box sets I ever bought from Reaper was the Dragonmen of Varandar (which I obviously never finished painting). One of them had this weird thing on his left eye, which in hindsight might have been a sculpted monocle, but I snipped that off thinking it was flash or a casting flaw. Oops. I'll have to figure out how to sculpt a new eye in that socket. It's on the To Do list.

2 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

Most other races are "humans but something"

I've been dying to use this meme since the first season of Umbrella Academy, and I finally have an excuse to use it.

UA-hazel-elaborate.jpg.4ec74fee759518f71046e729f942bf98.jpg

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Flumphs. They're strange, odd-looking, not taken seriously, and persecuted just for what they are. But in spite of all that, they're complete altruists who look out for the common good of everyone around them, despite being hated by those they seek to protect. They're good and selfless beings who don't deserve how they're perceived, but they continue to help regardless of the cost to themselves. That's why I want Reaper to make both flumphs and flumph adventurers.

#FlumphRevolution

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I'd love to say minotaurs, werewolves, various types of anthro foxes (especially kitsunes), or even a few others, but the biggest one that comes to mind really is....  Gnolls.

Maybe it's their aloof personality, their hyena like attitudes and manes, the spots... Who knows.  They do seem to crop up a lot for me, so much so that my most recent project (minus the two I haven't bothered to do threads about, partially since I'd have no idea where to put them) they're literally a driving focus for it..  An idea that snowballed from "What would happen if gnolls got their paws on a tank?" and is now pushing towards becoming a diorama for me and taking yet another first for the project.

o_O  Just realized I actually never did a showoff thread for this upcoming guy.  I should probably fix that at some point.  Reaper's Reaver of Kargir was my first finished gnoll.

IMG_20190331_000944.thumb.jpg.0bb5a07ae69e3a07dbf70b083389bf84.jpgIMG_20190331_000958.thumb.jpg.d5b492679a3828b509eab1f36a33fb82.jpg

IMG_20190331_001009.thumb.jpg.29b290b62b375e4774f4d7088179bfa3.jpgIMG_20190331_001022.thumb.jpg.9d32359e333cf0efc584aec1fdd02cae.jpg

It's also been recently brought to my attention that I seem to enjoy working on bases - and scenery elements - almost as much if not more than the minis.  I never really noticed it, but apparently several friends (and yup, even hubby) picked up on it pretty quick, but were waiting for me to sit down and fully realize this.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I am an equal opportunity slayer.  My favorite races are those worth xp, and if it's worth xp...

• Haha 9