GETTING TO KNOW YOU NOVEMBER 2020 by GLITTERWOLF

Glitterwolf

18 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Weekend Challenge November 27th / 29th.

Most of us have a favorite Fantasy/Scifi/Steampunk race.

Tell us which one, why this appeals to you, show the best pics of your creations, write a background story for your race/army/favorite character.

scifi, I've always gotta go with robots, particularly really junked up modified robots. I've been kind of poking at doing a broken robots fighting over the planet of scraps thing as the next RPG I run.

fantasy, I tend to go for not human. like kobolds are great if I'm able to play one. 

PXL_20201128_025930122~2.jpg

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
Robot photo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I've been dying to use this meme since the first season of Umbrella Academy, and I finally have an excuse to use it.

UA-hazel-elaborate.jpg.4ec74fee759518f71046e729f942bf98.jpg

Glad to be of service, good sir.  ::P:

So, let me preface this by saying that I'm talking in generalities and in very broad strokes. Not all races in all media suffer from it.

Look at things like Elves, for an example, they're usually "humans with pointed ears, long lives, better at magic, and are tree hugging hippies." Not only is this a Planet Of Hats problem but they're just humans, but different. They still look mostly human, think in human ways, and can interbreed with humans in most games/settings. Dwarves, as another example, are usually "short, drunken, usually Scottish, greedy humans with big beards."

When you get to Star Trek, look at the four founding races of the Federation: Humans, Tellerites, Vulcans, and Andorians. Tellerites are space pig dwarves (engineers and argumentative) and Vulcans are space elves. And they're not too different from humans in appearance and personality.

And even when you get into games, humans are usually "no modifiers" or get general bonus points, rather than true special abilities.

I hope this is making sense. We're the baseline for most other races. But, we usually have one thing the others don't: numbers. We tend to be the largest populations in fantasy settings (except maybe for monster races) and hold all of the cards in that respect. We might not have the magic of the Elves, but we can bury them in bodies. We might not have the high quality weapons of the Dwarves, but we have tons more hands to hold our weapons. We might not outnumber Orcs, but we're a little smarter and make better weapons.

TL;DR - I read too much Humanity, F Yeah fiction and humans are the perfect middle ground in most things.

Edit: I also love Star trek but have to laugh at all of the Planets Of Hats they visit. And I'm well aware of why they have to have bumpy forehead aliens.

Edited by CaptainPete
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 11/26/2020 at 4:09 PM, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 26th.

If there would be only one Season, which on would you prefer?

( Summer/Winter/Autumn/Spring...just in case one would go for hunting season or something like that:poke:)

Summer with a good bit of rain, which is mostly what the weather here is anyway. Woo for the climate! I've never actually been to a country which has had the conventional snowy winter or an autumn, which is why I chose pretty much the same climate as here. 

On 11/27/2020 at 4:22 PM, Glitterwolf said:

Tell us which one, why this appeals to you, show the best pics of your creations, write a background story for your race/army/favorite character.

I have a soft spot for elves which I've had for years. They're generally aesthetically pleasing to me, which is mostly from a Warhammer view.

I do like humans though as I am one, shh don't tell anyone though! And as @CaptainPete said, I'm not fond of settings where other species are just humans who all only like one thing.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2020 at 3:09 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 26th.

If there would be only one Season, which on would you prefer?

( Summer/Winter/Autumn/Spring...just in case one would go for hunting season or something like that:poke:)

For me it's summer. I thrive in the heat and the presence of abundant growing things. I even like all the cool bugs (ticks excluded) that you get in the summer time.

On 11/27/2020 at 3:22 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Probably goblins. My DM motto is "you can never have too many goblins and they can never be too weird." Last time I counted I have just over 100 goblins I can throw at my gaming group. Regular goblins, goblins with guns, musical goblins (the horror!), even a few cyber goblins. My latest painted goblin, pictured below, is a goblin ranger named Frank and his pet rat/familiar Bonnie (all of my goblins have normal names, in a world full of players with names that sound like they were rejected from a Tolkien tale, normal names are the oddity). Depending on which way the group decides to go they may have a meet up with Frank and Bonnie just outside of the Goblin Woods where he tries to gently dissuade adventurers from entering. He's a crack shot with that bow, knows a few really annoying spells, is pretty good with traps and can see through Bonnie's eyes when he needs to make a shot at someone from completely behind cover. Failing all that he has the traditional means of goblin persuasion on his belt, a club with a nail in it. Frank, Bonnie and I are going to have a good time hunting PC's.

IMG_20201128_122337747_2.thumb.jpg.cc975461f2fae14090cb9008a01e8ee8.jpg

• Like 8

On 11/27/2020 at 2:22 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Goblins are my favorite fantasy race; not the G.W. or JRRT variety, but my own Folksy take on them. 

I will pass on the second part of the question; re, it sound like a high school homework assignment.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Question November 30th.

If you could replace the actual Snow with something else.

What would fall out of the Sky instead then?

Thank you all!

This was my last question for November 2020.

December will be covered by our Quisitor @Werkrobotwerk !

I thank you all for participating.

Serious answers, silly answers, all great!

Hope you enjoyed this round.

Want to be a Quisitor?

Talk to @TaleSpinner we can use some new blood.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 30th.

Thank you all!

Want to be a Quisitor?

Glitter!

Or, less evil, a multicoloured snow-like substance.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 30th.

There's nothing wrong with snow.  You can't snowboard on cotton candy unless your name is Pezler... I vote for snow snow to replace the snow. Or, in other words, that nice and somewhat moist snow, instead of the usual daggers in your eyes dry snow we get here.  Oh, and none of that great lakes snow either, I like my gloves to stay dry! 

Besides, I like Sno, he's a really nice guy. Yes, I have a friend named Sno, and yes, he doesn't have a "w" at the end of his name ::P:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Question November 30th.

Thank you all!

I'm the wrong person to ask such a question so uh - Paper confetti!

Great questions, @Glitterwolf ! Thanks for doing this month. :)) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Question November 30th.

Thank you all!

Thanks for an interesting November, Glitter.

I would like fairy dust a la Peter Pan to fall from the sky. Then we could all fly off somewhere warn & pleasant.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Question November 30th.

Thank you all!

Want to be a Quisitor?

I somewhat agree with the Wulfe.  Snow to replace snow.  I like snow.  Yes Great Lakes Snow.  It's the only type of snow we get around here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

There's nothing wrong with snow.  You can't snowboard on cotton candy unless your name is Pezler... I vote for snow snow to replace the snow. Or, in other words, that nice and somewhat moist snow, instead of the usual daggers in your eyes dry snow we get here.  Oh, and none of that great lakes snow either, I like my gloves to stay dry! 

Besides, I like Sno, he's a really nice guy. Yes, I have a friend named Sno, and yes, he doesn't have a "w" at the end of his name ::P:

hqdefault.jpg

????? :lol:

While I'd rather it not snow, it can snow all it wants up in the mountains here. Snow is one of those things it's best to look at it behind a warm cozy window. While we've experienced snowy winters with the bunny as a neighborhood bunny (ie not entirely ours), it'll be interesting to see how she goes about when there is allot on the ground. She actually likes rain fall, so I'm sure she'll enjoy it. Thou she likes heat vent right now. ^_^

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, haldir said:

hqdefault.jpg

????? :lol:

No idea who that is. The Sno I know did not dress like that, but man did he dress up nicely for various industrial events! ^_^

6 minutes ago, haldir said:

it'll be interesting to see how she goes about when there is allot on the ground. She actually likes rain fall, so I'm sure she'll enjoy it. Thou she likes heat vent right now. ^_^

So the bunny rabbit is part cat... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1