Glitterwolf

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 5th.

Is there an animal that you're really afraid of?

And why?

Apart from the already covered humans, there isn't anything in our current environment that I'm too worried about. I have a healthy respect for anything big and stompy (black bears, moose, deer, wolves, wildcats, etc) that could hurt me if cornered, but I don't expect any of them to just randomly try to kill me or anything. I don't like being surprised, so snakes and bugs can get a response out of me, but that isn't fear, just me reacting poorly to be being startled.

But I'm pretty worried about all the poisonous stuff to the south of us (I'm talking critters here folks, not implying anything else :poke:) that may migrate as the climate changes more and more (my wife is into bird watching and we are already seeing species here that never used to come this far north). Folks here aren't used to poisonous snakes (we have grass and garter snakes, and that's pretty much it) or poisonous spiders or anything like that currently, so have no built in skills for dealing with those... ("Oh look, long grass, let's go run around in it").

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, malefactus said:

People & skunks for very similar reasons; i.e., they both thoughtlessly make the world a more noxious place by their innate actions or reactions.

Skunks don't do that. I have a skunk colony in the woods behind my house (neighbor feeds them). They're polite little folk, very shy and respectful.

In general, they don't spray. They have a lot of posturing that resolves conflicts - they're very territorial and we have a feeding station bottleneck, so I have been observing them for generations now. I have watched two young males face each other down from about 5' away without too much fear. It can take over a week for their spray weapon to recharge, during which they're basically defenseless. A stinky skunk is likely a target for all the other skunks, because they know he's discharged his defenses recently. The worst is generally the yearlings during their first mating season. They don't have their control down well enough, leading to more spraying than usual.

They are pretty friendly (understanding they're shy and wild). When I hear or see a confrontation in the yard, I can go out and talk them down. Sometimes when I'm grilling, they will come root around by the patio, I talk to them while they get their grub on, I know the general families and lots of the individuals.

Basically, outside of some AD (or maybe ND) from the yearlings during mating season, their are only two times a skunk will discharge. 1) when posturing doesn't work (very rare) and 2) when they're provoked by other species (very common). Dogs and humans can't read posturing and will push a skunk past it's comfort level and it will panic defend itself. I've been hanging out with my yard skunks for 12 years now, only one time was I worried about getting sprayed (when two really contentious yearlings had a confrontation on my patio and I went out to talk them down).

Makes me sad that they're so misunderstood. They're generally sweet little duders. Here's my favorite, Mr White. He's glorious. 

68287725_2464228190471780_8601206858222403584_n.jpg.43a95697acb7861ca7670f1f8de47cb3.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I'm really happy that I managed to climb the Inaccessible Pinnacle, which is part of The Cullin in Skye, even if I lost my camera on the way down.

I'm guessing that calling it the Really Hard to Reach Pinnacle just didn't have the same ring to it?

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 5th.

And why?

Much like Indiana Jones, I don't like snakes. I had a bad experience as a young boy in a field in North Carolina (in which I bravely ran away). As an adult I still run away (bravely). The only time I set out to do battle with one in recent years was when I saw Molly leap as if something bit her paw during summer in the woods out back; I took her inside immediately, checked her, and returned armed with a shovel to see if I could find the vile serpent (didn't find one, Molly was ok, but I would rather have been armed with a grenade instead of a shovel... no, it's not overkill against a snake, it's being thorough).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Question November 5th.

And why?

I do not like insects, arachnids, and reptiles. I can't relate to them like I can most other creatures, they're just too alien to me. And, let's be honest, spiders are just little walking nightmares. DO NOT TRY TO CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE, THANK YOU!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question November 5th.

And why?

Snakes, and some spiders.  Yes, the tiny little cute jumping spiders that find humans FASCINATING scare the hell out of me.  He just wanted to say hi, and so... He waved. He didn't know I was playing a horror game at the time, and while he thought standing on a thumbscrew on my computer case was great, for me, having a tiny little critter come around the corner and wave.... Well, hubby had to gently let the little guy out of the house. 

Now that I know more about those spiders, I look forward to meeting one again. Just hope this one doesn't say hi in the middle of a horror game! ^_^

As for snakes, not quite sure why I'm terrified of various breeds of them, because typically I have no problem with them... Holding them, or even softly petting them (if they'll let me and/or like such), and I know some snakes have rather enjoyed curling up against me (something something warm body). 

But then there's Slick, a friend's snake. Can't remember what type, Python I think?  During the day, he's a sweet, innocent snake... At night, when everyone's distracted by a movie, and a tired fox inadvertently passes out on the couch while said movie is going? Sneak, sneak, sneak went the snek along the back of the couch.... Then oh so slowly leaned in, and flicked his tongue along the edge of my ear.  Apparently, according to others in the room, I not only cleared the height of the couch with my reaction, but I also ignored gravity for half a second or so before going back down to said couch - and shot daggers through my gaze at Slick... Who had partially curled behind my friend's neck, trying to pretend that he'd been there the whole time.. 

Spiders like the tarantula creep me out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

25 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

But then there's Slick, a friend's snake. Can't remember what type, Python I think?  During the day, he's a sweet, innocent snake... At night, when everyone's distracted by a movie, and a tired fox inadvertently passes out on the couch while said movie is going? Sneak, sneak, sneak went the snek along the back of the couch.... Then oh so slowly leaned in, and flicked his tongue along the edge of my ear.  Apparently, according to others in the room, I not only cleared the height of the couch with my reaction, but I also ignored gravity for half a second or so before going back down to said couch - and shot daggers through my gaze at Slick... Who had partially curled behind my friend's neck, trying to pretend that he'd been there the whole time.. 

There is not an emoji capable of describing how I want to react. The adrenaline started pumping just reading that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, CashWiley said:

Skunks don't do that. I have a skunk colony in the woods behind my house (neighbor feeds them). They're polite little folk, very shy and respectful.

In general, they don't spray. They have a lot of posturing that resolves conflicts - they're very territorial and we have a feeding station bottleneck, so I have been observing them for generations now. I have watched two young males face each other down from about 5' away without too much fear. It can take over a week for their spray weapon to recharge, during which they're basically defenseless. A stinky skunk is likely a target for all the other skunks, because they know he's discharged his defenses recently. The worst is generally the yearlings during their first mating season. They don't have their control down well enough, leading to more spraying than usual.

They are pretty friendly (understanding they're shy and wild). When I hear or see a confrontation in the yard, I can go out and talk them down. Sometimes when I'm grilling, they will come root around by the patio, I talk to them while they get their grub on, I know the general families and lots of the individuals.

Basically, outside of some AD (or maybe ND) from the yearlings during mating season, their are only two times a skunk will discharge. 1) when posturing doesn't work (very rare) and 2) when they're provoked by other species (very common). Dogs and humans can't read posturing and will push a skunk past it's comfort level and it will panic defend itself. I've been hanging out with my yard skunks for 12 years now, only one time was I worried about getting sprayed (when two really contentious yearlings had a confrontation on my patio and I went out to talk them down).

Makes me sad that they're so misunderstood. They're generally sweet little duders. Here's my favorite, Mr White. He's glorious. 

68287725_2464228190471780_8601206858222403584_n.jpg.43a95697acb7861ca7670f1f8de47cb3.jpg

This is true. They are sweet little creatures. Yet the fear factor remains. I let my cat, Damnit out early one Spring morning. We stepped out the door just as Mom Skunk & her two little kits were skipping (skipping seems to be the way young skunks move) past us on their way to the creek. They were adorable, but we both froze in a close approximation of terror. That seems to be the universal reaction to a close encounter, cute as the may be.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm trying really hard, after reading that some folks are afraid of snakes and spiders, to not share a bunch of stories about the experiences I've had with them over the years. Or maybe even some close up pictures. I mean, on the one hand I really love freaking people out with nature stories. But on the other hand, I'm trying to be good today. So conflicted.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I think everyone has the people angle covered, and I heartily agree. But for me it's ticks. Can't feel them on you, they can be really hard to spot, and there are a number of terrible diseases they can transfer. Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Lyme disease being the well known issues. But now we have the Lone Star tick (so called for the single star pattern on its shell, and not for the state of Texas) showing up in my region. They carry a type of sugar molecule called Alpha-gal that, when transmitted through a bite, can cause the immune system to react in such a way that you become extremely allergic to meat from mammals. So, risk of deadly diseases or a lifetime of never eating pepperoni pizza again? Definitely terrifying. As for other, bigger animals that could potentially tear me apart... well, let's just say I'm not afraid of them, but I do have a healthy respect for their boundaries.

Can't feel them on you?

:blink:

I have yet to be born by a tick because I always feel them on me. Probably helps that I'm rather furry...:lol:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

I'm trying really hard, after reading that some folks are afraid of snakes and spiders, to not share a bunch of stories about the experiences I've had with them over the years. Or maybe even some close up pictures. I mean, on the one hand I really love freaking people out with nature stories. But on the other hand, I'm trying to be good today. So conflicted.

Speaking as someone who would love to read those stories, couldn't you just put them behind a spoiler wall? Then they'd only have themselves to blame if they looked :ph34r:

9 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Can't feel them on you?

:blink:

If I remember correctly, they inject an anaesthetic into the host so they feed in peace :zombie:

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

There is not an emoji capable of describing how I want to react. The adrenaline started pumping just reading that.

In Slick's defense, he did give me the snake equivalent of puppy eyes for the entirety of the next day.... 

I'm a lot better with snakes, to the point that I've no problem with hubby getting one when we move... So long as they don't do the surprise thing.  Surprise ferret/kitten/puppy you can get used to, a snake tongue fluttering along the edge of your ear is... A unique experience. You'd think something moving that fast wouldn't have such a soft touch!!! 

Spiders are.. Ah unno. Tarantulas are a big nope! For me, but nowhere near my reaction to hornets. Fairly certain I've got a decent phobia of those things. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question November 5th.

And why?

Though not a fan of the creepy crawlies as a whole. Neither am I particularly afraid of them (some of them are even cute looking).

Though the reputation is somewhat exaggerated, the mere existence of the Candiru, aka the penis fish, aka the toothpick fish, aka the vampire fish, aka the fish that swims up your urethra and lodges itself there with barbs, is enough to freak out just about anyone.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1