Sign in to follow this  
SparrowMarie

Nano 2020

I'll hop in on this. I've got 44 good pages of the story about the kids and the Ouiji board, ending right after the first incident. Third "first" draft of that part, and 10 or so pages of first draft for the rest of that evening which needs quite a bit of work. I doubt I'll get the whole story written in a month, but I might as well see if I can get it mostly down.

Need to go over my outline again as well and get it a bit more coherent. 

• Like 2

Welp! I actually stuck to the plan on day 1. I'm 1800 words in and both hating and loving it. Just been rolling right along, and it's a little thin in a certain way involving the narrator and the source of his conflict, which is what got me out of sorts and made me sputter out on this in the first place, but I'm getting it all down on paper, so to speak, finally, and I can fix it later. Which is the point, right? Right. Right? Right.

Gonna go check on my folks and while away a while. Might come back and finish this story before the night's out. Would make for a nice pad to start the month, but would also make for a good easy start tomorrow, so I'unno lol.

• Like 3

Okay, clock me in at 3900 words for day 1. It got a little out of hand. I got determined to finish that story and just kept pounding the keys until it was done. I'll have to clean it up no telling how much lol. But it's done.

But then 600 of those words were a flash for which I suddenly had an idea. It's crap, but it's also done.

I have no earthly idea what I'm doing tomorrow now.

Blah.

• Like 2

Managed to get 9 pages written/reworked from the first draft of post incident stuff. 

The characters' nerves are raw from what just happened, and almost getting run down by a random car that was trying to flee a gang hit, then seeing the wreckage of that car a block or two later didn't exactly help. One character, Jodi, is in more or less a state of shock about everything, the half elfed gangster wannabe Randy is running his mouth, trying to cover for the fact he cut and run during the incident and because he's dead set on trying to make it to the buy. He antagonizes the main character, Del one too many times leading to the main character giving him a rather violent warning at knife point, the other two, Ben and Jaime are now starting to get frightened of the main character, and Jaime is wondering if the entity they trapped might have some kind of lingering influence over him...

Added some new material of the meet/buy at the Dennys, with Josh, the first human antagonist. He knows who everyone is, having accompanied Randy to one of the previous year's basement parties, he's sleeping with Del's girlfriend, (which Del just learned about that night, hence the hair trigger temper, although Josh doesn't know about Del as anything more than a name quite yet). He's also leading a small crew of dealers/wannabes, haven't figured out yet which affiliation they have, but they're small time. The chase/crash/hit earlier is going to tie in, not sure yet if they have connection to the hitter or the victim, but word of the hit has already spread and is going to be sparking off a response by someone, not sure who yet. (might have the victim be a drug task force infiltrator who got found out, riling up the local cops when they learn what's happened to him or maybe someone connected to higher wheels in Chicago who are now looking to get some payback, maybe work both in, with the hitters being from Chicago, tasked with eliminating the "rat"...)

Found some more first draft pages numbered up to 57 which deal with the planning for the second attempt at banishing the entity, which look like they only need minimal revision, removing the references to having to leave early to pick up Randy, and need to work on the references dropped to Del's connection with the militia/cult (which I also need to write out a formal outline about, while I have a good idea in my head about it, having something "official" to refer to is going to help out later on.)

Not a bad first day, although the Denny's references now have me craving a plate of cheese fries with bacon bits and ranch dressing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Not a bad first day, although the Denny's references now have me craving a plate of cheese fries with bacon bits and ranch dressing.

I experienced something similar, but it was whisky references. :ph34r:

I am so tired this morning. Getting to work feels like it's gonna be a real challenge today. *sleepy face intensifies*

• Like 1

2020 sure is something, right?

I've been participating in National Novel Writing Month since 2014, and I am not about the let this sorry excuse for a year ruin my awesome writing streak.  I just checked out my page and lo and behold, I've logged 321,272 words. Dude!  It's things like this that remind me to keep on sweating out the metaphors in hopes I'll someday improve.  If anyone wants to join me in this uphill slog through plot holes, wandering middles and reach the dynamic, but ever treacherous endgame, then I'd welcome the support. I can promise pep talks and happy trees, er, words. Maybe I can even whip up some digital cookies.

At any rate, we'll get there.  I'm Corporea over on Nano as well.

Happy writing! You can do it!

Erin

• Like 6

Yesterday was very productive, I got in just over 3k words. Today is not going so well, migraine has hit me. Thankfully, I got enough done yesterday that I don't have a ton to do if I really don't feel up to it. 

• Like 2

Ugh. Dislike thread move.

And headaches. Feel better!

Been a battle here too today. Worked my way into an old, old story idea and had a false start I had to toss out and start over and meh.

But! I finally got about 800 words in before I took a break here. I am fortunately without a good excuse to quit, so gonna try to buckle down again and get the day's worth in. Really wanna keep myself at the 1667 daily minimum.

• Like 2

Put me down for 2000 grueling words on day 2.

Felt like a fight the whole way. Took all day. But did it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Marvin said:

Ugh. Dislike thread move.

And headaches. Feel better!

Same and thanks! Head is better for now.

I'm up way too early for a 3rd day in a row. Yesterday felt like everything I wrote was trash. Going to try to wake up some more and then get some words out onto the page. Maybe I'll be happier with it today.

• Like 2

Didn't get anything down yesterday. I did, however come across a brief overview of the history of gang wars in Aurora IL, where the story is set. Turns out that in 97, the year the story takes place, the cops began a major push to get it under control, so I can tie that in easily enough. But while I came across some useful bits of information, writing the gang bits is gonna be a bit more of a challenge than I thought, as far as getting it to ring true and having them not sound like they're straight outta the 1930s. 

So that's today's task, to at least get the first scene with them down, and get a general outline of events with the war, and later worry about weaving it in with the main plot.

Edited by Lord of the Dish Pit
  • Like 2

I'm just not there today. Haven't written word 1 lol. May just call it a bust today, which is not good, but. Unless the flip gets switched here soon.

• Like 3

Got the outline for the gang subplot down, only extends to the end of the first day, but Josh's crew now at least have names, and I can extend this in a logical direction as needed later on. The main plot outline I wrote out last year doesn't really pick up until after the first week, so I've got some blank space to work with, but I've got some ideas on where I'm going with that at least.

So now it's just a matter of buckling down and getting some words onto the page...

On the subject of quotas, rather than try and tie myself to a word count, I'm going for "do something related to the story at some point in the day". Unfortunately I have a tendency to either fall into a research rabbithole, or work everything out in my mind, but neglect to write it down.