Sign in to follow this  
SparrowMarie

Nano 2020

Managed about 300 words yesterday. A little under 1k today. 

I've got some catching up to do but I consider both pretty good progress seeing as anxiety took over yesterday and had a migraine today.

• Like 1

About 300 words for me today. I was tired af after not sleeping and then had to babysit and am sick apparently and blah blah blah. This will leave me just a few hundred words off overall pace thanks to my day 1 bank, so I'm telling myself I'm in good shape to get back on the horse. If I'm not sick-sick, anyway. Or just lazy. We'll see.

• Like 2

Got rewrites done up to page 52, got distracted last evening, TCM had High Sierra on. Expanded the main character's rant about not trusting Randy from a paragraph to a page and a half, fleshing out that those two have a history of not getting along. Not confrontational so much as they deliberately avoided each other, and now that they're trapped in the situation with the entity and forced to coexist, they're butting heads.

I wasn't sure how to work in some other parts of the discussion, so I decided to sleep on it, and now I figure that this would be as good a time as any to start the Dennys meeting between Josh and Randy, since apparently Randy's the focus of the aftermath so far. So I've got the internal conflict of the group piggybacking on the external conflict with the entity, now to set up external conflict with Josh, while trying to avoid making him a carbon copy of Drexel from True Romance...

• Like 1

Ah, Thursday! I slept late. In horrible form in terms of sheer word-producing, went back and spent a while adding and editing a little--but it was necessary for me. Had to get a little better situated. This story just feels so thin to me, and it may be a dud even at the end of the day, but trying to make it happen. Honestly do feel better about it than I did last night. Sat down and mapped it a little. Hopefully it pulls out.

But anyway! Put a hundred words into that, and then rolled the daily count up to about 425, which catchers me up to the pace for yesterday and about a hundred words into reaching the day-5 pace. Breaking for breakfast now (seriously y'all, got up late), and hopefully later this afternoon I'll get it rolling on out. Feeling better. About it and healthwise. Think it's just a cold that's gonna pass on. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Welp. Thought my optimism might have been misplaced for a while, but the long game paid off. I really wanted to make the daily count, and then I was so close so I really wanted to catch up to the pace, and then I was so close that I just really wanted to finish that story. Another dirty draft, but it's there. Feels good mang.

Took me into the early morning here, but put me down for down for 2300 words on the day. I'm sitting a few hundred words ahead of the daily pace, so hopefully I'll stick with it tomorrow. No clue where I'm turning next--honestly too tired to figure it out tonight lol.

Hope y'all are faring well.

• Like 2

Rewrote pages 50-52 a few more times, finally got it more or less where I want it. Got up to page 54 before falling asleep, but I've finally got the "voice" down for Randy and his cohorts, the Denny's scene is flowing smoothly. On of the things I tend to have trouble with is that far too often, what I write has a tendency to fall into long sections of dialogue, with not much by way of description. But recently, I've been having a better time incorperating elements of the background, bit characters and such into the mix. Which was to problem with my previous attempts, the world around the characters didn't really come through. 

• Like 1

We can do it! Admittedly, I have spent the day binging avatar the last airbender, cooking buttermilk pancakes and birdwatching... but, um... I did write... some... words...

The day is not over yet! Go team! We can do it!!

In the immortal words from Galaxy Quest: Never give up. Never surrender!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Corporea said:

We can do it! Admittedly, I have spent the day binging avatar the last airbender, cooking buttermilk pancakes and birdwatching... but, um... I did write... some... words...

The day is not over yet! Go team! We can do it!!

In the immortal words from Galaxy Quest: Never give up. Never surrender!

Just woke up from a nap, picking up where I left off. 

• Like 1

Good day here again; I'm 2200 words up. Woke up and got brekkies and got to work on a little paragraph I'd saved to the desktop a couple weeks ago and found the thread I was looking for with it in the first place. So that was nice.  Dropped nearly a thousand words on it and the rest on a new story. This one's about a girl who's a high-school golf standout. Because if there's one thing I know, surely it's--*checks notes*--high school girls and golf. :unsure:

But it's feeling good. Hoping it opens on up and works.

May hey back in there in a while and run that total up some more.

• Like 2

Gimme 2850 for the day. Built back up to a 1500-word lead on the pace. Would've liked to push that on to a full day's lead, but I hit a good stopping point. And I'm tired. I've been staying up way too late, since election night especially.

Hopefully keep it up tomorrow. Aiming for a prewrite-while-oven-preheating/breakfast/writing start to the day. Will probably watch TNG and Chappelle's Show and lounge around and start late tho lol. But to keep working and make it a productive day is the goal. W00t.

• Like 1

12 more pages, almost done with rewrites on existing stuff. Storywise, had a few unexpected turns, the resturant owner of the place the rest of the group wound up turned out playing a larger role than I had envisioned, got some stuff on the militia/cult sorted out, and things are flowing fairly well. So after another nap, and some yardwork this morning, I should be able to wrap up the first day's events.

Edited by Lord of the Dish Pit

Up to page 72 now, and on all new material. Unlike the previous draft of this chapter, where the group had to go back and pick up Randy, this time since the incident they witnessed on the way to the Denny's and the retaliatory shooting a short time later stirred up Aurora quite a bit, and so when they get to the resturant, the owner, Lew offers to let them use his phone to call Jamie's folks to get her and Jodi, since a carlaod of young people driving around during all of this might get mistaken for someone else, by gangs and the cops.

So this removed the time limit that I'd originally had for the scene, so I was able to let the conversation branch out a bit more, give a little more in the way of characterization, etc. Where I'm at now, her father has just showed up with his girlfriend Helen, turns out he knows Lew, (who I'm beginning to suspect just might know everyone in my little story world...) and some comedic misunderstanding is going on, since Helen is convinced Del is Jaime's new boyfriend despite both of them trying to set her straight on this. Might make this a reoccuring thing, I might not.

On one hand I'm looking at this and shaking my head, wondering if all this is really needed, and if I watched too much Buffy in my younger years, but on the other hand I'm gonna need some regular slice of life type stuff to balance out the occult weirdness that is incoming later on. 

I'm not entirely sure where this is going to head from here, general plan is to have Del and Ben take off home along a route that avoids Aurora, a segment with Jaime and Jodi on the way back to Jaime's, their phone call with Alice who hasn't shown up in the story yet outside of being mentioned, and I'm tossing around the idea of Del's friends picking him up after he gets back, both to introduce the characters, and to make the next day's events flow a little smoother. 

I don't usually like letting things "garden" like this, but I haven't been derailed too much, and it's coming out well enough, so I will roll with it for now.

I've got my words for the day. Plus a little. Aiming to add some more tonight but breaking for a while.

Had a semi-sex scene earlier. Fun stuff. :unsure:

This story's got me flipping back and forth--love what I'm doing one moment, hate it the next. Worried it's too thin, then worried it's too long. So it might turn out all right.

Hope Marie's all right; she's been MIA a couple days now.

• Like 1

3000 words on the day here. Coming easily enough, so if it just turns out good, too, then reckon I'm in good shape. Stories running way longer than I was expecting, already at 5k words and likely getting an easy 3k more, but that's fine as cutting stuff down is never much of a problem for me. And I'm explicitly choosing not to worry about that this month. Ta-da.

Sitting at 14.5k words total, so better than a day and a half ahead of the pace now. Definitely want to push that to two whole days tomorrow if I can. Hopefully stay feeling good like I have been and it keeps coming easy. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Got a partial outline down for day 2 before falling asleep. Most of the day being an in depth introduction to the militia/cult whose service Del's friends drag him to, still need a few sections on Randy's dealings with the gang, Jaime and Jodi's dealing with the Aurora branch of the cult, (Jodi parents are involved with it, Jaime gets dragged along, nice paranoid segment of a self proclaimed witch in the midst of witch hunters who are insistent on teaching her to....can and preserve various foods.), and a section on what Ben and Alice are up to, which I'm not sure on as of yet.

Today's goal, is to if nothing else get everything outlined.