Sign in to follow this  

Seem to have hit a road block since I posted last. Largely due to the fact that the next section, the interaction/conversation between Jaime, Jodi, and Jaime's folks involves "normal" people discussing "normal" things and trying to write that at this point in time isn't coming easy. With Jaime being the level headed peacemaker so far, with a certain amount of metaphysical knowledge, she's the easiest one to write of the group, but Jodi's weaker nature and clingyness have already been well established, and due to the circumstances earlier I can't really pull her out of that yet. Jaime's parents are somewhat coming together, but I'm unsure of whether or not they're coming off as something more than stock characters, there because they have to be. (which admittedly they are, but they're going to be around for awhile on the edges of things so they can't be made of cardboard)

So I've been in the stage of trying to let things gestate on their own for a bit, only to find that the ideas that are coming are those involving what happens several years down the timeline. Which is nice and all, but not what I need right now. 

As to the outline, it looks like there's going to be revision three of the last part. In the first Elder Melton was introduced and he and Del more or less immediately went to war, too early by far for that. In the second, they met and there was tension, but I'm still having to gloss over how a guy with a fanatical hatred of witches is going to let a kid who was rumored to have put a curse on the quarterback's girlfriend onto his property and not somehow find an excuse to shoot him "just in case"...so I think I'm going to arrange it so that Melton never knows Del is there at all. Which would work, the spirit of the murdered witch trapped in the car in the barn was trying to kill him the night before, Melton's not doing well because of this, Pastor Evans is trying to both minister to him and keep the boys from finding out too much at the same time, opens an opportunity to have Del sneak into the barn to try and find out what's calling to him from within it...yeah I think I'll go with this version...

Now to see if the magic of Burger King has unlocked my ability to get words onto the page again.

• Like 1

I! Did! Not! Want! To! Work! Today!

I struggled along for a while this afternoon and was all ready to call it a short day, but I hit a smoother stretch and was able to grind it out here in the last hour or so. Put me down for 1800 words today.

Tomorrow may call for a rest, I dunno. I'd like to put in a solid day, as it's the midpoint and all, but we'll see. Hopefully I'm feeling a whole lot more dialed in.

• Like 2

Some progress, made it to page 81, got distracted when it came to filling the details of the areas they were passing through. Went on an extended google street view session only to discover that almost everything I remember Aurora looking like has drastically changed, so I ran into a few difficulties there. At least I was able to get myself into the heads of the characters enough that the conversational bits are alright, they just need to be expanded on slightly. Hopefully after a nap I can pick this up again.

Little shy of 2k words here today. Had a long, halting go of it. Just kind of dribbled out. But I'm v. happy with this story, thrilled even, so I'm actually kind of enjoying it. As far as that goes.

Did not achieve the 35k I wanted at the halfway point but am at 34k, which ain't bad.

Goodnight and goodnight.

• Like 1

I'm getting back on track, was able to power thru the Jaime/Jodi bits, got Del's crew of friends, aka the Jr Cultists introduced, six more characters to juggle, but easier to write than the "normal" folks. On page 86 currently, and now all that remains is a backyard fistfight between Del and Corey over giving Del's number to Randy, Del lying his elf off over why he wasn't around, and that ought to wrap up the first day finally. Hopefully. 

• Like 2

Just over 1.7k words, another coaster day. Kinda. Didn't get to work 'til after dinner, and it went pretty quick and easy. Really would've liked to skip out tho lol. But I got moved to doctor-with-mom duty tomorrow to go with same already scheduled for Thursday, so with two days this week already getting booked up timewise it was definitely best not to let myself get lazy for no good reason.

Probably do some writing in the ol' notebook while I'm waiting on Mom tomorrow. Maybe dig up a prompt or two and look at generating some flash. Would like to finish this current story tomorrow. Should be less than 2k to go and prolly will wrap it up if I come home and get to work all responsible-like, but it may be more of a mix-and-match and/or offish day. We'll see.

• Like 2

Just broke that 1700-word mark again tonight, and I'll be honest: It's been miserable. Not feeling good, and that's what it took to finish this story. Worried if I'm getting sick I won't be up to working, and I wanted that one done. So hurray, I guess.

Aaaaaaand good freakin' night. Fingers crossed this passes.

Another late start, but 1800 words for me today and an earlier finish, actually.

Got to feeling a little better this evening but nothing was speaking to me. Thought about a couple prompts, but they weren't doing it. Strolled down the list of things, looked at a couple but everything just felt too thin, not quite ready... so then I launched in with a 12-year-old idea from a notebook I hadn't even bothered to dig out. Rolling pretty much blindly because of course lol.

But! It went all right. Pretty simple little story, but hopefully it shapes up. We'll see.

• Like 1

Been a rough week. Broke 14.5k though! Probably not getting to 50k this year so my goal is to get like 25k which would be more than the last nano I did. 

ETA: Ignore the day that I had zero drive and just downloaded Scrivener and spent several hours learning how to use it...

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 1

Had a long day of writing. Bit over 3.7k. I pushed through to finish that story I'd started and then squeaked out a little flash probably of no account because that put me across 43k total. Close enough to smell it lol.

I'm feeling pretty burnt right now tho tbh. I've got one thing shorter I may start on tomorrow, unless something grabs me, and then I've got one thing that'll eat most of that remaining space up. But I don't want to phone it all in. I'd love to push on to that 50k and then see how far beyond I can run it for the month, but I'm really ready to stop. So. Yada yada yada, nearly there and all set to call it a day.

2350 for me today. The short thing I had penciled in turned out a little longer than I was expecting, but I wrapped it up. It was pretty easy writing, for the most part. Had a bit of a formula to it. Not my usual thing, but once I clean it up it'll be a nice little piece.

So. Sitting over 45k now total. One more story should push me over the mark. There's a chance tomorrow turns into a lazy day, but barring that (and/or unforeseen disaster): Probably gonna jump to that one I've been saving, since it's fresh in my brain and I have the frame all worked out. And then see after that if I have the time/energy/life force to try to tack on bonus from there. There are a couple older ideas calling my name. Since I've been letting it hang out pretty loose here. So we'll see.

Lazy day confirmed lol. Wrote a little shy of 600 words and have just been a slug today. Felt like I was running into a wall and just did not have the energy to blast through.

But! I did order out things for this story pretty thoroughly. Story's feeling a little thinner than I'd thought, so don't wanna try to steamroll it. I should be in pretty good shape to jump back in tomorrow, provided I don't insist on being a turd again.

w00t w00t, just 4k to go.

Bit shy of 2k words today after a late start--thought I was going to have another one like yesterday for a while but finally got with it.

48k. Tomorrow may be the day. LFG u gaiz!

1500 words today. So barring something horrific the champagne pops tomorrow. So to speak.

Last few days have been such a drag tho lol. I'm feeling horrible about this story. Oh well.