Advice Wanted - Touching Up a Finished Mini?

MoonglowMinis

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might want to give them a gentle clean/rinse to get any finger grease off (if you've been handling them a lot), always the risk of losing any basing ballast/flock when doing this, and then have at it.

Only thing I'd caution is that when/if you go to seal them again you might want to put a coat of gloss varnish on before the next matte coat. If you are only doing some minimal touch ups, the previous matte layer isn't going to get covered up much, and then the new matte coat on top of that will increase your risk of frosting. I've had that issue with Krylon Matte a few times, if a layer gets too thick or with multiple matte layers. If you are doing extensive touch-ups, it might not be much of a problem, so you may not need the gloss coat layer.

Never had that problem with Testors Dullcote... *grumble*

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Might want to give them a gentle clean/rinse to get any finger grease off (if you've been handling them a lot), always the risk of losing any basing ballast/flock when doing this, and then have at it.

Just reading this made me anxious.  It makes sense to clean them, but the idea of cleaning a finished mini is frightening.  Just imagining all those hours of paint coming off.  Yikes!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MoonglowMinis said:

Just reading this made me anxious.  It makes sense to clean them, but the idea of cleaning a finished mini is frightening.  Just imagining all those hours of paint coming off.  Yikes!

Emphasis on the gentle in "gentle clean/rinse". Don't scrub them with a toothbrush. Dunk them in some soapy water a few times (or soak a few minutes if you don't care about basing material falling off), then rinse them off with a slow trickle of water, don't have the faucet on full blast. Dry them, you guessed it, gently.

The coat of sealer you put on should help protect the paint. And the paint should hold up, because acrylics don't reactivate after they've fully cured. Quite waterproof... if you did your pre-painting prep/priming properly... otherwise it might start falling off in layers...

Consider it an opportunity to reflect and learn. ::D: Then, in X amount of years, when someone asks this question, you'll be able to chime in on your experience.

Edited by ManvsMini
typos
  • Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Zira
      Hi! I was just wondering if there were any reaper dragon minis close in size to the young green wizkids dragon? or any other dragons of any types that's not wizkids that's similar in size? I'm wanting to run an encounter with two dragons of the same size and would prefer not to double up on minis, and would love to expand my dragon collection to other companies than wizkids.
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Hi all. Was hoping you could help me find a mini.

I have a player in an upcoming game of D&D who wants a flying monkey as a familiar. 

I'm having trouble finding a good option. I'm surprised how few options there are.

I'm looking for one with feathered wings as opposed to bat wings. And something without a fez. Minimal clothing is okay (a vest or some bracelets) but in general looking for something that's more like a wild animal.

STLs are okay. But physical is better.

Thanks in advance!
    • By lexomatic
      I cant find any of my old threads. I used to have links in my signature which doesnt display in mobile, and I'm rarely on a computer and its awkward on a phone (like I havent been able to make it work, but I'm assuming its possible).
      I can't search just my topics with an empty search term. So how am I supposed to find things now? How does everybody else do it.
      I think a modern can lock this file. I've gotten  desktop working better since I posted.
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Hi gang.

I always have trouble with finishing minis if they take too long.  Groups of minis are a frequent struggle for me.  What kind of advice do you have to avoid burnout?

I try to mix things up to stave off the exhaustion and tedium.  I typically switch off between working on groups of minis, to just doing one at a time.  Small minis to big minis.  Detailed minis to simple minis.  I'll even avoid things that are the same color back-to-back.  Anything to help avoid getting sick of painting.

But I have a harder time just getting through a group of minis.  I'll try breaking them into sub groups, or just focusing on painting everything of the same color like all of the wood, or all the leather.

Maybe I'm just tired in general, but I'm definitely feeling worn down on my current set, which is a shame because I am excited to see them finished.

What advice do you have?

How do you avoid burnout?

How do you get yourself to just keep painting?
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Anyone have any useful leads on a set of elves in tribal garb?  I'm specifically looking for elves that would fit in a jungle, tropic, or coastal setting.  Not looking for heavy armor.  If there's some gender diversity in the set that's even more ideal.

I could kit bash if needed, but trying to avoid that.  Also looking for things that would fit well in scale with Reaper Bones' offerings.

Have I made this easy enough for you all?
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)