Sign in to follow this  
Reaper_Jon

Reaper Virtual Expo - classes are now live!

I would like to do a weathering class but not sure whichone.  "Dirty and Distressed" and "Weathering 101" both cover applying weathering effects to the Bones dumpster (80035).  There doesn't seem to be much difference in the brief description of the techniques to be used.and both appear to be intermediate level demos.  No PDF handout or supply list for either.

I don't want to do both.  So anyone have some advice on which class would be better?

Go find Lord Dave's weathering class (Schedule says 'Saturday'). 

Take that one. >.>

(I can't speak for the other two, as I have never worked with either instructor).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ferret said:

I would like to do a weathering class but not sure whichone.  "Dirty and Distressed" and "Weathering 101" both cover applying weathering effects to the Bones dumpster (80035).  There doesn't seem to be much difference in the brief description of the techniques to be used.and both appear to be intermediate level demos.  No PDF handout or supply list for either.

I don't want to do both.  So anyone have some advice on which class would be better?

Justin McCoy is a great teacher and also owner of Secret Weapon. I've taken two other classes with him and can recommend. Greg Zuniga is owner of Wicked Elf which make awesome vellum plants; Also a great teacher. I have not taken a class with Dave Cecil, but I've heard good things. 

You could probably contact them via Reaper to get more specific info on what they plan to cover in class and see which best aligns with your interests.

I'm personally taking Mister Justin's class but thats mainly because I haven't gotten to take one of his classes in a while...

• Like 2

If you want a taste of the class by Justin McCoy you can look up the Tips and Tutorials section on the Secret Weapon website. There are a number of videos that will give you an idea of his teaching style. And free, too. 

I'm interested in Dave's weathering class, as I somehow borked my schedule last time and missed it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice about the weathering classes.  I can't make Dave's class because a time conflict, but am thinking of making it my "weathering weekend" and go for both of the other classes::):.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ferret said:

Thanks for the advice about the weathering classes.  I can't make Dave's class because a time conflict, but am thinking of making it my "weathering weekend" and go for both of the other classes::):.

I actually find it *very* helpful to take several classes on the same subject from different teachers. Good plan!

• Like 4

On 2/6/2021 at 9:02 PM, ferret said:

You have probably already gotten your answer.  But maybe I can add to it.

Greg and Justin are not only amazing artists but also very experienced instructors.  You really cant go wrong with either of those 2 powerhouses.  Im honored to be mentioned in their company, but for my own weathering class, I cover a wide base of techniques.  I like to show multiple ways of doing things. That way people come away with various new tools in the toolbox.  My handout covers about 75% of what we will do in class, but here is the beauty of RVE.  The classes are recorded and therefore you can take all 3 if you chose to.  Bottomline, I have received many praises for my teaching style and use of class time, but that said, I have been a fan of both Justin and Greg for a long time.  Hope you learn great new stuff and enjoy the virtual Con.

• Like 2