Sign in to follow this  
R2ED

Ebay core sets?

I mean no disrespect in asking this question, but I'm dying to know.  I see on Ebay there's a bunch of people selling off their Core Sets from previous years.  I'd love to purchase them, but want to make sure it's both a fair price and also if there's another way i should go about it.

I see sets ranging mostly at $200 and up.  Seems like that's steep considering they got them from KS and are trying to make a profit.  I'm not sure what the previous price on these was or if there's a better way to go about it.  Honestly, giving my business to Reaper is preferred, but there's no way I'm going to get close to the price on Ebay.  Any suggestions?

I'm not entirely sure how those prices compare to buying the models at retail.  I believe all the Bones 4 core set is available at retail now.  I recommendation would be to research which figures  you truly want from the core set and compare that to the retail price on the Reaper website. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just figured it's a better deal in bulk to snag a Core than pick and choose.  I'm sure just getting the ones i want is less expensive, but i like getting some that are outside my normal zone to push me to paint different types.  Also, with that many, i was thinking painting and gifting them.  Good call though, and thank you. 

• Like 3

Another way to look at it - I believe there were ~150-ish figures in the core set.  They're not all the say size, but for math's sake, at $200 for a core set, we're looking at $0.75 per model.  A human sized model in Bones Black goes for around $3.50, so $200 is probably a good deal.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've picked up a lot of the older sets on ebay.  Honestly, they're still a better deal than trying to get all the individual models from retail.  But I agree with @Clearman.  If you're just looking for a certain few and you don't think it's likely that you'll want to buy the rest later, then look up the ones you want and add up the prices and compare.  Sometime I decide the extra $20 or whatever is worth the extra 30 minis.  The Bones line has been revisiting some of the older model types though, and I often prefer the updated sculpts, so you might also just want to save that money for the next kickstarter.  Then you'll truly get the most bang for your buck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

During the KS funding period, it's very easy to justify the FOMO effect as the overall value is pretty amazing.

Afterwards, particularly once delivered, it really falls into a "It depends". Sure you still get a ton of models, but the overall value is not as good unless you really are an avid painted that will paint everything, or only stick to the largest models.

Most of us aren't that obsessive on painting everything, and have way more minis that we really need. So the pick and choose option of retail is just as good.

Two other things. With eBay, you have to remember that shipping costs can really dig into the savings. And with Reaper orders, when large enough, you can get plenty of extra goodies.

So no clear cut answer.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I bought a core set for bones 3 for $130 back in 2017, so depending on what core set you are buying, $200 is not a price. If there's enough mini's you like in the core set and the price is right, you might want to get it. Also, we have a little something around here called a Box of Goodwill, which is basically a box that gets sent to people who signed up for the event. You look through the box, see what mini's you might like, then put in a like amount of mini's you'd like to trade out. It's a great way to share mini's you might never use and get one's you will. Watch for @Chaoswolf to make an announcement for the next one. I think we've all agreed to wait till bones 5 ships, so you have time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hate to say it, but just because you don't feel like a price on ebay is worth it, doesn't mean that it's true.  If the sets are selling for double what the kickstarter price was, that means there is sufficient demand at that price for it to sell. If you can find someone who is willing to sell for less, then by all means look for someone willing to do so.  Reaper gives a discount for those who wish to plunk their money down for a year or two to finance production.  There's also the time value of money; those people can't use the money they've pre-spent in the pledge manager.  What you are paying on ebay takes all of this into account and sadly, it is what it is.

Reaper sometimes has sold some of their kickstarter sets that they have as overstock, but if you want kickstarter prices (and want to give Reaper your money instead of an ebay seller) then I would suggest keeping your eyes and ears out for when the next kickstarter will go live.  It's the only sure fire way to get kickstarter pricing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The best way to figure out if it's worth it for you is just to figure out what miniatures in the set you actually want and figure out if you're willing to pay $200 for those miniatures and think of the others as packing material. If you decide it's worth it, then the worst case scenario you have a bunch of minis to practice on or give away that you don't care about, best case scenario you resell the extras for a couple bucks each and drive down the price of the others. I traded a bunch of Bones 4 minis that I didn't want for others that I did and I hope to be able to do the same with Bones 5 and all the future Bones Kickstarters. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

Minor quibble, this is incorrect. For example, items 126 and 127 of Bones 4 Core aren’t scheduled for retail release until March 2021: 

https://www.reapermini.com/previews

I am actually waiting for Jahenna 77669 to be released. I want to try some sheer cloth painting, and she seems like a good candidate:)

I dunno if the price is higher, but you can still make a late pledge for a Bones V core set!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

I bought a core set for bones 3 for $130 back in 2017, so depending on what core set you are buying, $200 is not a price. If there's enough mini's you like in the core set and the price is right, you might want to get it. Also, we have a little something around here called a Box of Goodwill, which is basically a box that gets sent to people who signed up for the event. You look through the box, see what mini's you might like, then put in a like amount of mini's you'd like to trade out. It's a great way to share mini's you might never use and get one's you will. Watch for @Chaoswolf to make an announcement for the next one. I think we've all agreed to wait till bones 5 ships, so you have time.

Actually, it's more like January -ish.

6 hours ago, Clearman said:

Another way to look at it - I believe there were ~150-ish figures in the core set.  They're not all the say size, but for math's sake, at $200 for a core set, we're looking at $0.75 per model.  A human sized model in Bones Black goes for around $3.50, so $200 is probably a good deal.  

More on topic, this ^^^ is a pretty good point.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Clearman said:

I think you have the ratio backwards as it's $1.30 or so per mini.  And  yeah, if you want/need even a majority of what's in any core set or expansion they are good values even at twice the original price.

All great points and i thank you all for your input.  Seemed like the price was high considering what they may have bought it for.  

I'm already way deep on the Bones 5 pledge, but want some stuff to get me through April.  With Covid kicking into high gear and shutdowns happening already,i want to be ready to hunker down with my hobby.

Curious on those releases on Bones 4 they do on Reaper. Are those good price given the original price on the KS? I only know this Bones 5 pricing, so i guess that's what kicked off my whole question.  If I should snag a Bones 4 release when they do them, I'll go that route.  $200 is steep, but big bang for the amount I'd get.  Really appreciate the feedback.  Thank you. 

• Like 1