Sign in to follow this  
Otyugh

Stupid question... Do you use a fixture, stand or base when painting?

I have a bunch of Xacto knife handles that I use for holding minis that I intend to paint prior to basing. The basing pin/nail is what is grabbed by the handle:

DSCN0117.thumb.JPG.98da0c2032c8c8545ae5ab4208a354c9.JPG

I normally base; then paint.

• Like 6

I use a craft spool such as theses, with a glob of poster tack on top to hold the model.  Models might be bases, sometimes not.  If the model has a pin, I drill a hole in the spool.

2-1/8" Wooden Spools - Wooden Spools - Wood Crafts - Craft Supplies -  Factory Direct Craft

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Otyugh said:

During my attempt to escape the darkhole called YouTube, I witnessed many devices to secure a mini to while working on it.

Being a barbarian, I just use my big mitts. 

I mostly use my mitts as well. I've got one of the GW holders that @Cranky Dog mentioned, but our cats have figured out that it's great fun knocking it off the table especially if it lands mini first!

I'll occasionally pin a delicate mini to an unused cork, especially if it's a finicky Infinity one but that can clutter up the painting desk really quickly.

• Like 6

If you assembly-line paint, kid's craft paints in jars and sticky tack works. Use the paint whenever for drybrushing, such as terrain.

You can see in the pictures how I use them to paint multiple miniatures and multiple pieces in a single miniature.

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/93532-tiny-furnitures-pillory/

If you only paint one miniature at a time, I heard the miniature holders with a handle (finger rest) are better than ones without.

• Like 5

Generic bottlecap from a single-serving or 2 liter bottle for normal, human-ish sized creatures.

I use bottle caps from half-gallons of certain beverages (tea, juice, etc.) for larger things.  Those caps come in right around 2" and work well for the big stuff.

Poster tack (Blu Tac) holds things on well enough most times.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Otyugh said:

@WhiteWulfeThank you for your comment on the Citadel paint handle. It would be annoying for a mini to become kamikazes, and maybe even damaged, because of underpowered springs.

I wouldn't say they're underpowered, it's more just that mine has regularly seen 40mm bases, and therefore doesn't grip 25mm ones as tightly as it used to.  Still holds them securely, just something I thought I'd mention. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

During ReaperCon 2019, I got one of those Hobby Holder type 3D printable paint handles that uses screw on bottle caps with poster tack and is my favorite.

my_setup%5B1%5D.jpg

It allows me have multiple projects at the same time, where I just unscrew one piece for another instead of ripping one off the pill bottle's poster tack again and again.

I love this set up. I got  both sizes during the original kickstarter. Now I have unpainted minis all over blue tacked to soda caps.  ^_^ I guess I should start painting some of them.  I got a couple more during their last offering including the handle shown above, but I have yet to use the handle.  this has worked well for 54 mm models too. It didn’t take me long to learn that some poster tack is really crappy. I have had best luck with Locktite brand and a type sold for use in museums ( I can’t remember the name). 

During a Fat Dragon KS I got this as a stretch goal ( iirc ). I haven’t used it yet, but if you have a 3D printer it might be worth trying for the $2 file cost. 

F10AD176-763C-48C5-A95F-7ECBD4E32B9C.jpeg.5bf3b04cd581bc23b5d95687bcd3b9cf.jpeg

Edited by KruleBear
  • Like 3

I myself use sheets of balsa wood, where I cut out little squares, use some Elmer's glue to attach them, and then after they're painted I super glue them on to a real base.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, MoonglowMinis said:

Empty pill  bottles with sticky tack...

16 hours ago, TGP said:

I use meds containers, pill bottles, corks, whatever comes to hand.

81BDF0DE-FE9F-493A-B409-8BB54B6FD7DB.thumb.jpeg.8b9fae708ed8253f4f266e95e7d6c24e.jpeg

I found out that these ^ might officially be called Vials (?). I don’t use them empty. I put spare parts for pokey tools in the bottom to weight them down a bit. Mr. Clanky Ogre Armour is lashed in place with wire from a paper clip. 

• Like 5

On 11/14/2020 at 4:58 PM, MoonglowMinis said:

Empty pill  bottles with sticky tack.  Bigger minis sometimes require bigger bottles.  I often work on too many minis at once so being able to have 20 "handles" is useful

This is what I use as well, but I fill the bottle w sand. I like the weight in my hand and it’s not as easy to accidentally knock over

• Like 3