Back when the Bones 4 Kickstarter was running, when the Giant Rhinoceros Beetle was revealed in the Fan Favorites set, someone posted this photo of a Frog riding a Beetle to the Enthusiasm Thread, and I knew it was a conversion I would eventually want to try.  I have an extensive Frog Army, and I wanted such a figure to be a Leader or Hero for my forces. 

critique.jpg

I had the pieces I needed at hand; the Bones Black "Giant Rhinoceros Beetle", and my rider - for which i  had decided to use the Bones "Mudcroak" Squog figure.

IMG_7647.jpeg

IMG_7650.jpeg

As I looked at Mudcroak, I knew I would have to separate him from his base, but I knew there was no way I could remove all those little toes from the base without damaging them.  So, right off the bat I made the decision to just remove his feet along with the base, with the plan that I would then resculpted them with greenstuff directly onto the beetle's back once I had the frog glued in place.

Here's a test fit, with the frog held in place with blue-tac.

That's all for right now.

IMG_7652.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome idea!

Thanks, Glitterwolf!

10 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

I highly approve, and R.I.B.B.I.T. wishes to hire you as a consultant.

Thank you, Froggy!   Always happy to help R.I.B.B.I.T. out when needed. ::):

2 hours ago, haberfront said:

Are you going to use the same colors as were seen in the first picture? I am excited to see the finished work. :wub:

I'm leaning towards using those colors.  The black, orange, and white, certainly make a nice combination.

• Like 3

I had some time this afternoon to work a little more on the conversion.   First, I drilled the frog and beetle and inserted a pin to help hold the two together.    You can see where I tried to carve the underside of the frog to conform more to the beetle's curved back.  I had to be careful, as I did't want to carve away too much of the frog's body.

IMG_7723.jpeg

Next, I trimmed down the integral base of the beetle.   I mount my figures on fender washers and use magnetic storage, so really didn't need the extra height that this base had.  

IMG_7724.jpeg

I then glued the frog to the beetle's back, and the base to a black-primed 2" washer, using Gorilla Superglue gel for both; and clamped the base while the glue set.IMG_7728.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 9
15 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

As a fellow washer user, something I do on deeper bases (mostly 40k minis) is use clay to fit in between the base and the washer to make the washer flush with the bottom of the base.

That's a good idea.   But I was mainly trying to eliminate the height of those tall flat sides.  I know a lot of folks like their bases that way (hence the popularity of the ubiquitous Reaper black plastic base), but I prefer bases closer to the flat of the table. 

• Like 1

I had some time this afternoon to do some initial greenstuff work on the figure; adding on the base pads of the feet, the missing left hand, and extending the loin cloth in the back.   I'll be adding the toes, and doing the final connections of the feet and hand to the limbs when this stage dries.  

I'm not a sculptor by any means, but feel this start is serviceable enough.

IMG_7864.jpeg

IMG_7865.jpeg

IMG_7866.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 10

Today I was able to add the toe ridges to the back feet, and do the final connections to connect the feet and hand to their respective limbs.   I also gave the spear a bigger point, as the existing one was too small.

Other than doing a final clean up of the greenstuff, I'm thinking its ready to paint.

IMG_7945.jpeg

IMG_7949.jpeg

• Like 12
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

Onward, fearless champion!

Also, have you seen the game Burrows & Badgers?

I have heard of it, but never played it. A friend plays, and I’ve seen his figures for it.  But I don’t have first hand experience. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

I have heard of it, but never played it. A friend plays, and I’ve seen his figures for it.  But I don’t have first hand experience. 

There's a character that's a shrew Knight Errant on a stag beetle.  I figure shrew == frog in this case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1