fixing/sealing old minis

I've been painting minis for a few years now.  When I started out, I didn't really do much other than wash and paint them.  No sealant, no hot bath to reshape.  So hear are my questions three.

1. How do I go about sealing old minis.  Can I just wash them with soap and water? 
  2. If I want to straighten a sword or some minor fix like that, will dunking them in boiling water hurt the paint?  If so is there another paint friendly option for a post paint fix?
  3. How many dimples are there on a lemon?  (I really only had 2 questions, I just liked the sound of 3)

Thanks all!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Answers, tested and some untested, I offer thee:

1. You just have to get the grease from fingers off them. I always suggest giving a gentle dunk in soapy water (no brush scrubbing), and rinsing them off with the faucet on a gentle setting, not full blast. Make sure they are dry before sealing. Also note that extended contact with water can reactivate any PVA glue you used for basing material, so that may loosen/fall off if you soak them too long. Others recommend dipping a qtip and rubbing down with isopropyl alcohol instead of using soapy water. Again, don't scrub so your paint doesn't chip.
  2. Outlook with fixing with boiling water over painted plastic is unclear, never tried it myself. Repositioning a painted surface is always risky; the paint could crack depending on how bad something is bent and the flexibility of the paint brand. You could try to use a hair dryer instead of boiling water to heat up the piece, but still caries the same risk of cracking paint.
  3. I answer your question with another question: what kind of lemon? Meyer lemons? Lisbon lemons?
Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 2

I can't guarantee that it will work in every case, but in the tests I did on my MSP-painted Bones 6-7 years ago I was able to boil them after painting to reshape bent parts without damaging the paint.  So it might work, and it worked for me, but it tested a limited number of variables so if you choose to try, you do so at your own risk.  

• Like 2