Display box : repurposed children's gift box

My child received a set of board books one Christmas and once the box was open it served no purpose to anyone but me. I rescued it to turn into a "fancy display box." I will tape up the edges of the acetate, then cover all the non-sky surfaces- on the inside and outside - with paint. What I need now is help choosing a/ some colour/s.

Dreadmere gulper for scale (approx 5x6x10.5).

Please post colour combo suggestions though I'll probably do a pale blue on the inside sides. Help me decide.

20201118_195111.jpg

• Like 7

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Black or a neutral grey would interfere less with any colours of the mini displayed, keeping the focus on the mini.

The insert in the back, you can leave it there or put something else in front, depending on the subject.

If you have seen my pics, I use pics from the internet and print those for such purposes.

• Like 1

Interior

I would be tempted to try to replicate the sky background on the left and right interior sides.

1. Photograph just the background
  2. Take it to, or email it to, a place with a color copier (Office Depot or Kinkos can do this near me; equivalent in Toronto? unknown)
  3. Have them print it for you on color copier paper
  4. Mount that to stiffer cardboard inserts for the two sides.

Exterior

Black would be OK for the exterior. Since you can unfold it as seen in picture two, a rattlecan could do that job.

Stark glossy white might be a thought.

What colour would coordinate with the display shelves it might sit on?

Maybe a steampunk brass effect. Rustoleum had some cool rattlecan options like that last time I checked.

Interior Floor Surface

Black, Jet Black.

Presumably you will create a rectangular, flocked diorama, slide-in, insert that will mostly cover the floor, to go with whatever models are put on display. 

You could create two or three different swappable inserts as you think of different ideas.

• Like 1

My pale blue craft paint is a good match for colour. I did a base coat . Will do some sponging of white in a few spots, and maybe a satin turquoise, then seal with modge

Then I'll need to figure out the rest. Not sure if I'll try to prime grey  because it covers better than my white primer, and also won't be as difficult to cover with white craft paint as anything else.

20201124_132027.jpg

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.