How things are going in your area?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

woot woot woot! I got my first covid vaccine today!!! Hope it's ok to post here. If not, apologies and delete away. Not trying to be controversial or anything.   In frustrating news I h

I got mine today too @Corporea!  #feelsgoodman

Honestly? Not well. Our local hospitals are at, or very close, to 100% capacity in terms of ICU beds and the children's hospital nearby has started accepting adult patients to try and handle the overf

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Darkmeer said:

I wish I knew when I could get a vaccine.  Essential worker here

Same, but alas we are lost in the whole "who gets what". I'm betting it won't be till the summer, as least here. Then again, having it later means they'll be more refined as far as vaccines go, more brands/options to chose from. Just a better option overall + while I want to get the vaccine shot, myself & my co-worker have been doing just fine throughout this whole damn event, so fingers cross it continues.

• Like 5

Seems like Pfizer is finally sending Canada more doses, so that's good. The USA may be a hot mess on organizing distribution, but at least 10% of the population has gotten their first dose. Canada is at 2% or less right now. Hoping it will accelerate well, with better organization.

Everyone is in Vaccine Foreplay: Stop teasing, and put it in me!

• Like 6

The UK's vaccine roll out is doing well and our top 4 groups should all have been done (or refused it) within the next couple of weeks (0ver 65's, very vulnerable, hospital or care staff & those in old folks homes), uptake has been better than expected (although lower in BME groups, but it can't have been terrible even there or the overall stats would have been worse)

however our independent vaccination body identified 9 groups overall who were medical priorities (we're prioritising in order of likelihood or death or serious illness needing hospitilisation) so we still need to do folk from 65 down to 50, and people with medical issues that are serious but not critical), and sadly 'leaks' from the govt suggest they're thinking of lifting lockdown again which will no doubt lead to another spike (the vaccinations already done will have some impact but as a big chunk of those vaccinated weren't mixing in a big way at least with the general population, folks in homes mixed a lot but in small self contained groups of the other home residents)

I hope rumour is wrong and the keep things tight for at least another month or two as the next groups to vaccinated are of working age and will be a significant impediment to virus spread once they're done, or at least take opening up really slowly

On a personal note my parents have had their first dose of the vaccine, and i'm due to get mine (due to my asthma) on the 23rd which makes me happy as it will pull me out of the 'real chance of dying' group

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

So, uh, I haven't been paying any attention to the news this week...what the hell is going on in Texas?  And apparently snow has shut down FedEx's Memphis hub? Are y'all okay over there? :blink:

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, VitM said:

So, uh, I haven't been paying any attention to the news this week...what the hell is going on in Texas?  And apparently snow has shut down FedEx's Memphis hub? Are y'all okay over there? :blink:

They are not. It got so bad their Jr. Senator fled to Mexico with his family.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

BC just went from ~425 cases/day average, 2-3 weeks under 500/day.... to 617 reported yesterday. I hope that's an accumulated accounting error from previous days that got lumped into the day and not a super-spreading event >.<

• Sad 5
3 hours ago, VitM said:

I hadn't heard about Memphis.  That explains this:

Tuesday, February 16, 2021
11:30 PM MEMPHIS, TN

In transit

When my tracking died.  Because of course it makes sense for FedEx to route my package from Lithuania through Memphis on it's way to Canada.....

Locally our numbers down, single digits per day for the province again.  They are being very cautious about rolling back restrictions as there have been 5 confirmed cases of the UK variant, which they are very worried about.

Vaccine rollout continues to be brutally slow here, due to very limited doses being available. At this rate I should hopefully getting mine by next year....:down:

• Like 1

Melting !!!

7 hours ago, Crowley said:
7 hours ago, VitM said:

They are not. It got so bad their Jr. Senator fled to Mexico with his family.

Ted Cruz had no power in his home (I don't remember if they had water; pipes might have frozen) and a family to look after (wife and two daughters I heard) and plenty of money in the bank account, so they packed some bags and hopped a flight to Cancun(?) or maybe Vera Cruz.

Then Ted came back on an earlier flight than he had originally booked. Because: the optics looked bad.

Not sure how his presence within Texas is going to help, I guess it is one less hotel room someone else could have had that didn't have the money to bask in Mexico, or one less spot in a shelter.

US Senators have zero influence over electrical generation. That problem has been solved, available power is now sufficient, the remaining households without electricity are those knocked out because trees toppled and wrecked transmission lines. The people in charge of that are doing fine without a Senator sticking his oar in.

A US Senator might be useful to lobby the sitting President into declaring a disaster, but that was done promptly, no action from a Senator required.

Not really sure what he is supposed to do. The Senate is not in session. 

I guess he gets to watch his house and see if the pipes develop a leak like thousands of others.

Edited by TGP
  • Sad 3

That is where Texas is at, the temps are rising, stuff is melting, everybody is praying their pipes are not cracked, grocery stores are refilling, (because the trucks were not running they got empty….again.   :grr: ) in three or four days things will normal out except for the poor souls whose pipes broke.

• Sad 4
5 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

When my tracking died.  Because of course it makes sense for FedEx to route my package from Lithuania through Memphis on it's way to Canada.....

Pretty much everything coming outside of North America winds up going through Memphis for FedEx if it's being handled via air.  Isn't Memphis their main North American sorting hub?

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Pretty much everything coming outside of North America winds up going through Memphis for FedEx if it's being handled via air.  Isn't Memphis their main North American sorting hub?

That is interesting, didn't know that. It is a decent central location. But I would want a Western hub as well (?) to receive stuff from China, Singapore, Taiwan, Malaysia, Japan…

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, TGP said:

That is interesting, didn't know that. It is a decent central location. But I would want a Western hub as well (?) to receive stuff from China, Singapore, Taiwan, Malaysia, Japan…

My joystick from VKB went through Memphis,TN after it was initially taken to Anchorage, Alaska.  VKB is based out of China.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

18 minutes ago, TGP said:

Yeah, I know it is their central hub, which means it is also their single point of failure for the entire continent.

I think they have taken their optimization a couple of steps too far, and perhaps this storm will make them realize it, although I wouldn't count on it.

A bit of redundancy isn't a bad thing.....

I generally avoid them anyway, since they are soooooo keen on the extra charges (they called once right after the order but I was in a meeting. I'm assuming that was about duties. Not that they've called back.).

But the only shipping option for this company was them so....

Back on topic, not much change today, although they posted an updated vaccine rollout plan, which still doesn't clarify much.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, TGP said:

There are regional hubs like Oakland, CA & Miami, FL but Memphis is the "Superhub".

According to the local 'paper (if you call it that, more like bird cage liner...) the county might move out of the extreme category. Hopefully that means things with the FLGS & having live events again up there.

• Like 2