How things are going in your area?

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Not really sure what he is supposed to do. The Senate is not in session. 

He could have shoveled snow for a neighbor. Checked on an elderly friend. Helped out at a shelter. You know, the things able-bodied people do when there's a disaster. 

Snow is slowly melting here, but we still have 3-4" underfoot and a good amount on the roads. Trash got picked up 4 days late because, uh, trash truck drivers are "plowing", somewhere but not here.  I got an email from the city notifying me that when they have info on vaccine availability they'll let me know.  So I guess my name is in a database somewhere.  Numbers are down so a bunch of restrictions are being lifted, as long as people continue to wear masks.   DH is still working from home. His car won't start, so it's good he isn't needed anywhere.  I went grocery shopping today, trucks haven't been delivering here either because the whole midwest got snowed on, but I got what we needed.  More snow this weekend for us. Then BBQ weather kicks in.  Tomorrow is virtual gaming and I'm ready to kill some alien space pirates. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

woot woot woot! I got my first covid vaccine today!!! Hope it's ok to post here. If not, apologies and delete away. Not trying to be controversial or anything.   In frustrating news I h

Honestly? Not well. Our local hospitals are at, or very close, to 100% capacity in terms of ICU beds and the children's hospital nearby has started accepting adult patients to try and handle the overf

I got mine today too @Corporea!  #feelsgoodman

Posted Images

As much as I like kvetching about useless malicious idiots.... perhaps we change topics back to the overall theme of the forum thread.

Also, BC is in process of elfing things up due to people having too much lockdown fatigue and whatnot. Cases might be rising now, and ~40% of them are reported to be in people who disregarded safety rules. Unfortunately that leaves ~60% who likely live with a dumdum, or are stuck near a dumdum due to profession or misfortune :(

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

I forgot to post but on a personal level, I was asked at work if I wanted to get the vaccine shot. I did say yes, but in a way I kinda wanted to wait for it. Not that I have any hesitations about getting it, I don't get a flu shot, but more or less waiting for more a refined product (ie 1 shots vs 2 shots, more effectiveness, etc etc). Co-worker who is older then I had signed up as well, but he did say he wanted more info before actually receiving it. I don't blame him due to his has various allergies when it comes to shots, he's diabetic (computer-illiterate...will let that one slide, besides gives me something to razz him about :lol:).

When we'll actually get the shot through our store pharmacy  (well not my store but a store in anther town) is whenever, but I guess it's progress.

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Inarah said:
19 hours ago, TGP said:

Not really sure what he is supposed to do. The Senate is not in session. 

He could have shoveled snow for a neighbor. Checked on an elderly friend. Helped out at a shelter

2 out of 3 of Those sound very, very, photo-op -ish. <_< The middle one, I imagine he did do (but using his cell phone and without dragging a video crew along).

Not that a Senator from TX would have gotten good press for doing any of those things. 

Example headline: Texas Senator risks contracting COVID after volunteering at shelter for a photo-op. 

Example headline: 50 Year Old Out of Shape Texas Senator winded shoveling snow off of neighbor’s driveway. Says he wasn’t at any health risk. 

I would really rather have him hire a crew of 25 year olds to shovel a driveway for somebody rather than grandstand with a shovel in his own hand for a video. 

But the shoveling snow idea would have been a bit silly considering it was best to stay off the roads and it was gonna just melt in a day or two. His neighbor lives a lot further South than this:

To turn it back to the thread title...

1651DB91-1E8F-4FC7-8C44-6CB2243B2C40.thumb.jpeg.fa982d785dd53c31fc99c6eba170dcc9.jpeg

Griffins Lair, Saturday morning: Snow all but gone. 

• Like 3

The vaccines have plenty of testing regarding safety. Likely we'll end up needing boosters later, possibly on regular schedules, but that doesn't really mean things are bad. Get that vaccine as soon as you can - good for you, and good for the population as a whole. Waiting will prolong the elfed up situation everyone is in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Heard my dad and grandfather both got their first shots. My dad (diabetic and large-ish) is in Los Angeles. Grandpa (old but healthy and active) is attempting to ride out the plague in rural Arizona (most socially distanced) so he was able to get his shot over there.

I'll probably be getting my shot in the next few years. I lost enough weight to drop me entirely out of the obese category so now I'm in the 'you're young and healthy, get in the back of the line' category.

• Like 7

Some stressful family news. My sister (45) is currently hospitalized with acute encephalitis, following some medical treatment for her hip problems.

Last week her new medication was giving her side effects, tachycardia (rapid heartbeats) and occasional dizzy spells. By Tuesday, the oldest of my nephews found her in convulsion with no sign of the side effects going away, so he called 911 and the ambulance came to get her.

It's only Friday evening that they identified the encephalitis (could've been the heart, or a form epileptic micro-seizures) and are giving her massive doses of cortisone for the swelling. Apparently the neurologist says that in 23 years he's never seen such a severe case of viral encephalitis.

She's doing relatively fine, her memory of the past week are vague and full of holes, so she has some level of confusion. She'll remain in the hospital for a few more days before returning home for some serious rest.

Her family was hit with COVID last fall, mostly without symptoms, but a compromised immune system is one of those lingering side effects.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 14
On 2/20/2021 at 1:52 PM, Cyradis said:

The vaccines have plenty of testing regarding safety. Likely we'll end up needing boosters later, possibly on regular schedules, but that doesn't really mean things are bad. Get that vaccine as soon as you can - good for you, and good for the population as a whole. Waiting will prolong the elfed up situation everyone is in.

This.

We now have our whole cohort vaccinated, and I am so so thankful. I literally almost cried when I got my first one. It was the first ray of hope I had seen during all of this.

All of my friends that have had reactions had fever, chills, body aches for approximately 24 hours. That's nothing compared to the months of side effects some people are having.

Go get it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
On 2/20/2021 at 1:52 PM, Cyradis said:

I got dose #2 yesterday at around 1300 hours. It is 0330 hours, no side effects yet. (Unless that nap attack was a side effect — I went to sleep at about 1800 hours on Saturday.)

I didn't have any side effects from dose 1.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

County was downgraded to Moderate (vs Extreme)  last Friday. Our cases are slowly trending downward. We are pretty much pre-Tday last year right now. 

No word on when I'll get a shot(s) through my company's pharmacy. 

• Like 5

I've had my first dose of the pfizer biontech vaccine, so now 3 weeks to wait for immunity to kick in to a useful level, and 12 to wait for dose two,

very pleased to have had it, no real side effects other than a bit of an ache in my arm

UK is still generally moving in the right direction, but there are worrying indication of folk who have been vaccinated starting to ignore social distancing etc which is not what we want to see (evidence is suggesting the vaccinated population is less likely to have asymptomatic infection, and less likely to spread it, but it's clear this isn't perfect protection and both can and do still happen)

• Like 6

I have my first shot scheduled for Wednesday.  The trend is down in our area and we are getting more shots coming in.   Our group is still Skyping for the next month at least.  We will wait until we get our shots.  

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Been told I won’t be eligible for the vaccination until July. So, I guess I wait. 

July is earliest for me and Sir Cyr. That's okay, even if frustrating. Limited supply, and we're able to work at home and don't have other ailments. Still... I miss just... everything :/

BC might end up having the first of Canada's 3rd wave, although we sortof skipped the first wave. Lots of people failing to even try to adhere to safety protocol. About 40% of new cases were in people who didn't follow safety rules.... leaving 60% as the poor folks stuck around them.

Gah. At least *try*. Hard to distance at the grocery store, but you can try. Masks make my nose or ears ache, but it an easy precaution. Having a group of friends indoors may as well be inviting vampires in right now. Outside? Probably can figure out safe activities. Inside... not really.

• Like 6

Ooh, there's a stimulus thing from the provincial government, and depending on things I barely qualify (assuming vacation hours count.  If they don't, I wouldn't have enough hours to count).  Kind of hoping I do, despite being temporarily laid off, since a $1,200 cheque would be handy to receive.   Not holding my breath on it, but yeah, it would be nice. 

I'm not sure where I fall with the vaccines, as AHS is still using vague terminology behind things, quite possibly due to them playing things a tad more carefully with timing.  Much better to be able to roll things ahead sooner than originally stated, than have to do the press conference of "sorry, we didn't get enough, it's delayed". 

Cases seem to be slowly going down here in Alberta which is good, just a case of here's hoping it stays that way, as I know a number of people are getting rather restless about a lot of things.  I am too, but I've pushed some of that energy more towards doing more things, like having finally taken up a more rigorous sanding regiment with my gunpla stuff (instead of just trimming down nibs, it then gets 600 and 1000 grit Tamiya sandpaper treatment, and next time I have spare cash I'm picking up sanding sponges). 

Sure is nice to be chewing through my gaming backlog, playing a number of games I've wanted to for years! 

• Like 5