How things are going in your area?

8 hours ago, Orlando_the_Technicoloured said:

…had my first dose of the pfizer …, so now 3 weeks to wait for immunity to kick in to a useful level, and 12 to wait for dose two

Errr, are you saying 15 weeks between shots?  3 + 12 ?

That is a very different implementation. Am I misreading that ?

I had the Pfizer, on a Saturday, and they simply said, try to come back three weeks hence. Get it scheduled… pick a time… and that was yesterday.

• Like 3
  • Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Things have improved greatly here from a few weeks ago. Today was the second day this week with 0 new cases, and the other days have been low single digits. As long as there is no new outbreak it looks like we'll be going back to yellow (but a modified yellow, not that they have published the new yellow rules) on March 7th.

Unfortunately it looks like Nova Scotia might be having a bit of an outbreak now so the chances of the bubble coming back any time soon seem slim.  Would be nice to get home and see the folks (without 2 14 day quarantines.....)

As far as the vaccine, the latest I've seen shows maybe June for me, or a little earlier depending on how the categorize my conditions.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

I played in a new D&D game yesterday, starting at level 1.  My attempts to talk the goblins over to our side lasted just long enough for the rest of the party to horribly murderize them and desecrate the bodies.  Sigh, alas, still had fun.

I never had, or played in, a group of first levels that wanted to chop up goblins…

Heads on goblin pykes? worse?

Were these goblins orange, green, or blue?

[edit] How did this end up here? when I was quoting FTG from the random thread; this was meant for that thread.

Edited by TGP
  • Haha 3

Huh. BC changed their vaccination plan. Going with delayed 2nd doses (and presented good evidence for it). Whole province will be on 1st dose by end of July instead of end of September with new plan. I *might* have first by my birthday then. Cool.

• Like 6

Pa Strawhat's had his first shot.  Eldest and her husband have had both.

Mrs. Strawhat and I were to be up in this coming round, but the governor has since decided that those of us with underlying conditions are not at any significant additional risk and can wait until our respective age/employment categories come up.  This isn't a big deal for me, as I only need to wait til the next group for employment, but Mrs. Strawhat will have to wait a bit.

• Like 6

Well, the good news is my state is moving to the next group in it's vaccination plan on the 15th. The bad news is they changed who's in that group so I'll be waiting longer than I had been expecting.

• Like 4

My mother, uncle, and aunts that live in the same retirement home all got their first vaccine dose yesterday.

And on the news, I heard that my old grade school I grew up next to (a block away from our home) was hit by one of the new variants. Barely 15 months ago, my mother was still living next to it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

My mother, uncle, and aunts that live in the same retirement home all got their first vaccine dose yesterday.

And on the news, I heard that my old grade school I grew up next to (a block away from our home) was hit by one of the new variants. Barely 15 months ago, my mother was still living next to it.

Try not to let fear of the unknown get to you. Just because they spot a new variant does not mean that it has adapted to kill us more better. 

The goal of a virus: is survive and spread. It is not: survive, spread, and kill. It is a mindless thing but if it could collectively think, its goal would be: to propagate fast, spread easily, but inflict no noticeable symptoms on its hosts. 

So “new variant” does not necessarily mean worse. 

• Like 3
On 3/2/2021 at 9:06 AM, TGP said:

Try not to let fear of the unknown get to you. Just because they spot a new variant does not mean that it has adapted to kill us more better. 

The goal of a virus: is survive and spread. It is not: survive, spread, and kill. It is a mindless thing but if it could collectively think, its goal would be: to propagate fast, spread easily, but inflict no noticeable symptoms on its hosts. 

So “new variant” does not necessarily mean worse. new variants.

As far as we know the current vaccins do work against most known mutations.

And as the virus adapt, so will the scientists.

Keep in mind that that the preventive flu shots you can get, differ each year as well because there is not one single strain of Flu either.

There are variants every year.

Vaccins can be adapted when it's clear where the mutation appears and how it behaves.

Sure it's a puzzle, but with so many scientists all over the World working on this, it will be adressed.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, TGP said:

So “new variant” does not necessarily mean worse. 

Maybe I WANT to bow to our new viral overlords.

I'm not worried that it's deadlier, there are thousands of identified mutations that are effectively harmless. But any time one of those suckers mutates to become easier to spread is a PITA.

Did I mention it's also spring break? Cause that timing doesn't help.

• Like 4

Well, work experimented with having an event on site today for the first time in a year.

It was a disaster. None of the attendees payed any attention to the infection control procedures and now we're down a guy for probably two weeks.

• Sad 10

@Glitterwolf your trust in scientists makes me super happy. Can you spread your scientist trust like glitter to the mass populations? Scientist's work only functions if people use it!

Current vaccines may have lowered efficiency against variants, but it isn't nothing - they're still damn useful. And we'll almost certainly be seeing updated vaccine boosters for people to get in the coming months/years. In the meantime, keeping case counts lowered with other safety precautions helps buy the scientists time. The more cases there are, the more variants will crop up.

And Canada's vaccine advisory committee just recommended BC's strategy nationwide. Limited resources, high efficacy, prior immune system knowledge, and getting more people protected faster are the reasons for it. If we had higher supply, we probably wouldn't need it, but it seems like a prudent call to make in the current situation.

Vaccine foreplay just got shorter here. *hurry up and stick it in me*

• Like 6
19 hours ago, Cyradis said:

@Glitterwolf your trust in scientists makes me super happy. Can you spread your scientist trust like glitter to the mass populations? Scientist's work only functions if people use it!

Current vaccines may have lowered efficiency against variants, but it isn't nothing - they're still damn useful. And we'll almost certainly be seeing updated vaccine boosters for people to get in the coming months/years. In the meantime, keeping case counts lowered with other safety precautions helps buy the scientists time. The more cases there are, the more variants will crop up.

And Canada's vaccine advisory committee just recommended BC's strategy nationwide. Limited resources, high efficacy, prior immune system knowledge, and getting more people protected faster are the reasons for it. If we had higher supply, we probably wouldn't need it, but it seems like a prudent call to make in the current situation.

Vaccine foreplay just got shorter here. *hurry up and stick it in me*

This is no way meant to be political or meant to start a discussion.

MODS, if you feel it is, then remove it by all means.

All we have to do is look at History.

People died of the Plague, Polio, Thypus, TBC etc etc.

Then vaccins and medicine came.

And in those countries where at least 70% of the population got that, those diseases disappeared or are no longer significant.

People who believe that their natural immune system will deal with it do not realize that  your system isn't strong enough against these kinds of diseases to fight them on it's own.

In the past people died or got seriously sick from meazles.

I got them when I was 19, and I have been sick for 6 weeks.

A simple shot would have made sure I hadn't and someone older/weaker would have died.

Scientists have studied, they have had their findings tested by an impartial party.

And not just once, but several times.

Then it gets tested on animals.

Again evaluation and impartial judging.

Then it gets tested on a small group of volunteers.

Again evaluation and impartial judging.

Then it gets tested on a larger group of people

Repeat the evaluations.

Then  it gets released and we're getting vaccins/medication.

Now who do you want to trust?

People like that?

Or some person on the internet who has browsed his/her/their way through all sorts of sites made up by similar persons who may have a degree in assembling cupcakes?

I know who I trust.

Something we hear a lot these days - but this is released so soon?

How can it be?

They skipped a step and is it safe now?

Well, instead of testing, and then evaluating like they normally do, they realised there is too little time, so now they test and while they test the evaluator stands right next to the tester.

In other words, they're doing exactly what they always did but this time they do it at the same time and save time.

All to help us faster since this is a pandemic and a deadly one.

Sure a large percentage of younger strong people might have milder symptoms, but there have been cases of young fit people dying from it as well.

And everyone with overweight, obesitas, diabetic, lung diseases, weak constitution, kidney problems etc etc will suffer or die.

So, it's up to anyone to choose what to do, but I know I will get my shots the moment I can.

My girl already got hers due to her profession.

She feels a lot more secure now.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7