How things are going in your area?

The Netherlands stopped vaccinating with Astrazenica for two weeks due to some people showing signs of tromboses ( as did half of Europe).

Now EMA has examined it and said we can continue, there is no danger.

The WHO ( no, not the Band) also implores us to continue vaccination.

I hope more vaccins will soon be available.

I want to be done with this lockdown stuff and live again.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6
  • Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, sort of out of the blue, Nova Scotia has decided to open the border with New Brunswick as of tomorrow morning. People going from NB to NS won't need to self isolate for 2 weeks.
But so far NB has not announced anything similar, so I'd still need to isolate for two weeks on return from NS....

(This is all ahead of the bubble announced for Apr 19th).

So visiting the folks is down to a 14 day round trip.....progress?

• Like 5

Still in the Moderate category for our county, but we are hovering near the High line. Govnuh here just doesn't like this county (I don't blame her either, but that is beekeeper territory). Back in '17 when Snowpocolypse was a major thing, destroying buildings & shutting things down, she took a helicopter ride over our town, then landed over in Payette -- IDAHO--- & gave a press conference there & left. Later she declared we weren't a disaster area....Gee thanks.

Anyways, things are pretty much the same, the new layout of the FLGS game room is pretty nice. It kinda feels like we are around a table playing it like there was no pandemic, but we are all spaced out according to CDC guidelines. Still no word on store-related shots. I think all adults here in the state will be eligible around May 1st or so. Unless govnuh decides that cats & dogs need it first, so who knows when.

• Like 3

I miss open gaming.

Schools are reopening for full in-presence classes in a few days. I feel that this is a mistake, but my input was not requested; at least the school district paid for my vaccinations.

But the game shops are not the same. I'm grateful that none of them have shut DOWN (yet,) but there is a ghostliness to them this past year; the tables have the chairs removed, and are now used to display product, instead of full of people floppin' cards, chuckin' dice, focused on laptops, and so on. And I am growing to hate that. 

Used to be, I could stop by one shop in particular on the way home from work and grab a coffee and just stand there and soak up the energy of it all.

Now there is no energy. It's just a retail joint. Shelves and stock and clerks who ask, "Can we help you find anything?"

And between that and being too paranoid to go out for a sitdown restaurant meal, I find the cracks in my shell starting to widen a little.

• Sad 9
2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I miss open gaming.

Schools are reopening for full in-presence classes in a few days. I feel that this is a mistake, but my input was not requested; at least the school district paid for my vaccinations.

But the game shops are not the same. I'm grateful that none of them have shut DOWN (yet,) but there is a ghostliness to them this past year; the tables have the chairs removed, and are now used to display product, instead of full of people floppin' cards, chuckin' dice, focused on laptops, and so on. And I am growing to hate that. 

Used to be, I could stop by one shop in particular on the way home from work and grab a coffee and just stand there and soak up the energy of it all.

Now there is no energy. It's just a retail joint. Shelves and stock and clerks who ask, "Can we help you find anything?"

And between that and being too paranoid to go out for a sitdown restaurant meal, I find the cracks in my shell starting to widen a little.

Yeah...

• Like 3

In a small step forward, Pa Strawhat has gotten his second shot and Youngest has gotten her first.

Both had strong reactions.  Pa's was worse, I dare say.  He confided today that he wasn't sure he was going to make it through everything.

Mrs. Strawhat is up next (starting in April, I think).  I am supposed to be coming up as well.

Eventually.

Maybe.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Things are mixed.

All but 3 people in my gaming group have been vaccinated. So we think we may be able to resume in person games around June maybe July. 

But work also has the largest number of employees on covid quarantine at the same time that they've ever had. Someone in management thought having the custodians watch covid training videos as a group was a great idea. Naturally one of them turned out to have covid at the time and now most of the day shift crew are out for 2 weeks or so.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 10

That's some terribly irony Werkrobotwerk. I hope all will heal swiftly. 

BC is definitely off the wagon. Vancouver's case rates are the highest they've ever been. Long term care is all vaccinated now, and most 85-90yr old folk in province are. Cases are in younger people and now they're ending up in hospital more. I really hope that the province clamps hard on indoor stuff because cases are exploding like they were in November, but from a higher starting point. 

I get opening outdoor activity more, but it really needs to go with restricting indoor stuff at thia point, and emphasizing that you still need other precautions outside. It is easy to see and hear people not being cautious in the slightest.

The pet shop I go to for bugs to feed the dragon had an exposure event, but all employees tested negative. Proved that they're the right place to trust - they have better safety precautions in place than just about any other place I've seen, including the doctor's office. And when a virus positive customer came through, all in the shop were still protected. Whodathunk, good safety protocol works!

Some restaurants are trying to be safe, so I do take-out from those. Others? No idea how that is deemed okay; they're full. So yeah, I go to the Thai place which *could* have a table or two open but decided to do only take-out, and the sushi place with minimal and distinctly spaced tables (and still I do take-out), instead of the packed full Vietnamese/French place across the street. 

• Like 7

there was actually some really good news over the course of the day today. The state is expanding eligibility for vaccines on the 5th and all the folks at my job, and I think the remaining folks in my gaming group will qualify. 

• Like 9

Things are shifting here.  Some counties have announced that anyone over 16 can sign up to get vaccinated -- if they can find an open appointment.  Not our county yet, though.  We will have all businesses open at full capacity by the 2nd week of April, but with 6ft distancing in effect.   I'm not ready to eat lunch with strangers, I'm thinking it's going to be take-out for a while yet.  I am still hopeful DH can get a vaccine soon.  I get my 2nd dose April 6th.  I am the only one in my game group so far who's had one. 

• Like 6

I am finally on a list so they supposedly will call and get me a vaccine appointment in 7-10 days.  Iowa is opening up vaccines to everyone April 5th, so I sure hope I at least have mine scheduled by then.   I qualify for vaccine now because I am too fat :down:, not because I am on immunosuppressive drugs, have mild asthma, and a afib.

• Like 8

We have an outbreak up north (where New Brunswick borders Quebec) which is confirmed to be a variant, so they are pretty much locked down.  Everywhere is doing well. Our region had a bit of jump, but it turns out it is a oil tanker at the deep sea port that had an outbreak, so while they are reported here they are very much contained.

Vaccines are available to 75+ right now for the general pop right now, but all high school staff in the province are in the process of getting done.  Still looking like a month or two for folks my age, but I may be able to get one sooner due to medical conditions (mine are on the list but they haven't opened it to that list yet, still on the really critical list).

The FLGS is able to host limited events, so I can play legion every other week. And we're supposed to go to a painting evening there next Thursday.  Still not sure how I'm going to paint with a mask on, between the fogging and I tend to hold the brush in my mouth whenever I do anything else (like open paint, or just look the fig over).  I expect it will be awkward, but hopefully fun.

• Like 6

10,000,000 (Ten million) first doses given. (Total state population is 29 million and change, just below 30)

Last week they were vaccinating group 1C. 

As of this morning, vaccination is open to all adults. (17? and up). The state is telling providers to prioritize by age. Appointments are required. 20-somethings are last in line. 

• Like 6