How things are going in your area?

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

woot woot woot! I got my first covid vaccine today!!! Hope it's ok to post here. If not, apologies and delete away. Not trying to be controversial or anything.   In frustrating news I h

I got mine today too @Corporea!  #feelsgoodman

Honestly? Not well. Our local hospitals are at, or very close, to 100% capacity in terms of ICU beds and the children's hospital nearby has started accepting adult patients to try and handle the overf

Posted Images

Finally got my appointment for my second Moderna dose

It's in a month, I *will* have to drive a 1200km round trip (it got complicated), but it's over a three day weekend, so it could be worse.

And though I'll have moved by then, my old apartment is still under my name till the end of May, so I can still bring a foam mattress and sleep there for one more night.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Texas set a new record for number of people vaccinated in one day last week: 338,883

They slashed the inbound doses allocation to: 1.9 Million (it was 2.5 Million the previous week)

(Thanks to Johnson&Johnson Baltimore Labworkers Homer, Larry, Curly, and Moe, none of whom have any idea who put the yeast in…)

In spite ^ of shenanigans (the drop was all J&J doses due that lab foul-up):

Total persons with at least one dose of something is now 14 Million+ out of 29.6 Million population.

That is just a little below half.

Dallas, Denton, and Tarrant Counties have burned through their vaccine appointment waiting lists. As of Monday they do still require signing up for appointments but appointments are being set within 48 hours. They are hunting for people to vaccinate at this point. Hospitalizations are trending downward.

Some quick math:

29.6 minus 14 is 15.6.

15,600,000 ÷ 300,000 = 52 days if that rate/day could be sustained. Assuming 6 days/week that is about 9 weeks to go.

• Like 9
6 hours ago, TGP said:

Texas set a new record for number of people vaccinated in one day last week: 338,883

They slashed the inbound doses allocation to: 1.9 Million (it was 2.5 Million the previous week)

(Thanks to Johnson&Johnson Baltimore Labworkers Homer, Larry, Curly, and Moe, none of whom have any idea who put the yeast in…)

In spite ^ of shenanigans (the drop was all J&J doses due that lab foul-up):

Total persons with at least one dose of something is now 14 Million+ out of 29.6 Million population.

That is just a little below half.

Dallas, Denton, and Tarrant Counties have burned through their vaccine appointment waiting lists. As of Monday they do still require signing up for appointments but appointments are being set within 48 hours. They are hunting for people to vaccinate at this point. Hospitalizations are trending downward.

Some quick math:

29.6 minus 14 is 15.6.

15,600,000 ÷ 300,000 = 52 days if that rate/day could be sustained. Assuming 6 days/week that is about 9 weeks to go.

To reach herd immunity via immunization ranges from 65% to 75% (it’s drastically less for naturally acquired resistance but let’s ignore that for now). Going with 75%, that’s only 22.2M. Minus 14M gives 8.2M, divided by 300k/day, results in 27 days. Going with the lower percentage is 17 days. 

So Texas could be more or less immune by mid May if what I have read about immunity is accurate. 

• Like 6

Things are pretty good here, but northern New Brunswick, where it borders Quebec, is in full lockdown and it sounds like pretty much every case is the UK variant, which is way more infectious than the original.

And next week is supposed to be the opening of the Atlantic bubble, when you can travel between the 4 Atlantic provinces with out quarantining.  So everyone is waiting to see if they go ahead, or go with just the other 3 provinces and keep us out (as we're the only ones with a significant outbreak right now) or what will happen.....

One the vaccine front, we're up to 22% having their first shot, so slowly getting there.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
18 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

It's in a month, I *will* have to drive a 1200km round trip (it got complicated), but it's over a three day weekend, so it could be worse.

Why aren't you allowed to get the second dose where you actually live?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Why aren't you allowed to get the second dose where you actually live?

Moderna vaccines are reserved for remote locations and are in limited supplies. Everything is by appointment, and the earliest availability is in May.

The city I'm moving to is a much larger urban center with access to the Pfizer (or Astra Zeneca or J&J) only. They're on a completely different schedule, and current medical knowledge doesn't recommend mixing vaccine types.

So if I want to get a second shot, it has to be Moderna.

It's very inconvenient, but it'll be simpler and safer.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Things are pretty good here, but northern New Brunswick, where it borders Quebec, is in full lockdown and it sounds like pretty much every case is the UK variant, which is way more infectious than the original.

And next week is supposed to be the opening of the Atlantic bubble, when you can travel between the 4 Atlantic provinces with out quarantining.  So everyone is waiting to see if they go ahead, or go with just the other 3 provinces and keep us out (as we're the only ones with a significant outbreak right now) or what will happen.....

One the vaccine front, we're up to 22% having their first shot, so slowly getting there.

Yeah, last I checked were now up to 47% of positive cases being one of three variants, with the one first discovered in the UK still being the predominant one but the other two are gaining quickly. 

Sadly, our hospitalization numbers are steadily ramping up, and AHS had to make do on their threat of going back a level, so a number of things are back to takeout only. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

One person I know from my work group got covid in November. She was fine - felt like poo for a week, sleepy, no smell/taste, achy, but nothing severe and her senses all came back.

She has a variant case now, high chance of the P1 (from Brazil) type. She's fine again with only mild symptoms, but still. Yikes.

BC really needs to hit it with some severe measures I think; there is a LOT of fatigue and carelessness and the recommendations just aren't reaching people. Case load keeps rising. My Zombie Queen senses are tingling whenever I see people around with minimal precautions: easy prey. Kinda makes me feel disgusted with myself, but eh, I spent years practicing for the evil team and people are being morons going into the end stretch.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Cyradis said:

One person I know from my work group got covid in November. She was fine - felt like poo for a week, sleepy, no smell/taste, achy, but nothing severe and her senses all came back.

She has a variant case now, high chance of the P1 (from Brazil) type. She's fine again with only mild symptoms, but still. Yikes.

It sounds like she has significant natural immunity. It make you wonder how many folk (in the population) have even less symptoms or just shrug it off and quash it without even noticing.

11 hours ago, Cyradis said:

BC really needs to hit it with some severe measures I think; there is a LOT of fatigue and carelessness and the recommendations just aren't reaching people. Case load keeps rising. My Zombie Queen senses are tingling whenever I see people around with minimal precautions: easy prey. Kinda makes me feel disgusted with myself, but eh, I spent years practicing for the evil team and people are being morons going into the end stretch.

New cases are trending down, round these here parts…

People are very much ready for this to be OVER with because fear of not being able to pay rent is as bad as fear of covid.

Mask-wearing has become very spotty. I visited two drive-up windows Tuesday. The one where I picked up food: mask ON. The other one: NO mask. I was masked for both events. Then I visited a Valvoline branded garage to have needful things done to my car. They had their lobby closed to the public and all the guys out in the service bays were masked with masks that had Valvoline logos. Having the lobby closed meant you remained in the driver's seat (which was fine by me).

17 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Just scheduled 4 appointments through work for the vaccine. End of April for the first dose.

Four ? ? ? ?

• Like 5

Google's page on Texas (where we all hope there can be a ReaperCon)

https://www.google.com/search?q=cases+of+coronavirus+in+texas&

The numbers I have reported in previous postings above do not match this. Could be there is data lag somewhere; could be TV newsie personnel are lazy-sloppy.

There is a concern with the J&J vaccine (doses already in-state, but sitting in freezers, will remain in cold storage unadministered) Use of it is "paused":

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s0413-JJ-vaccine.html

No new allocations-shipments of J&J until "they" learn more/know more.

• Like 3

@TGP Yup, four. The work offer was extended to dependents age 16 or older (current CO requirements). So me, the wife, the college son, and the daughter who turned 16 just yesterday. Whole family will get the needle. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2