How things are going in your area?

The blood clot risk from Janssen is less than 1 in a million,  compared to 50 people in a million getting this per year on average.   The risk from this blood clot of you get covid is around 200 in a million, if you are pregnant it is 120 in a million, on birth control pills it is 100-400 in a million.  So no real reason to worry, just be aware of the symptoms and get medical treatment if needed. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll get an appropriate label on it with warning of potential side effects, and get used appropriately. People have peanut allergies, so we label things processed where peanuts are present so they can avoid them. If there is a condition that causes an interaction with the vaccine, it'll be found and documented. But in general, Citrine is right. The chance of a blood clot is so phenomenally low that the "risk" is nearly zero. Not truly zero, but such that one shouldn't worry. I'm in that age group and female and would still take that vaccine if it was the one offered. Risk of covid health problems are so drastically higher, the risk/benefit comparison is in support of vaccination.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
On 4/16/2021 at 3:23 AM, haldir said:
On 4/16/2021 at 2:45 AM, NebulousMissy said:

The Moderna 2 shot has a 28 day period between first and second shot.

So after my first shot punched me in the face and made my world taste like pewter dust for 36 hours I've already put in for the day off for my second shot. Debating whether I should put in for more time.

Partner has her fist shot tomorrow. We'll find out what that shot is tomorrow when she gets it.

So they deliver the shots the "Philly" way back East eh? ::P:

I'm just glad my daughter hasn't shown anything from her J&J shot. Of course, grandma (my mom) is all worried, as grandmother's should be. 

Given how she still feels a day post-1st shot, a fist shot was an accurate descriptor ::P:

• Like 6
7 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Given how she still feels a day post-1st shot, a fist shot was an accurate descriptor ::P:

But if it was Pfizer, it would have felt like a pfizt shot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
On 4/16/2021 at 8:29 AM, Citrine said:

The blood clot risk from Janssen is less than 1 in a million,  compared to 50 people in a million getting this per year on average.   The risk from this blood clot of you get covid is around 200 in a million, if you are pregnant it is 120 in a million, on birth control pills it is 100-400 in a million.  So no real reason to worry, just be aware of the symptoms and get medical treatment if needed. 

I did not know that Johnson&Johnson and Janssen are two shorthand names for the same vaccine, until I looked it up.

After thinking about it looks like to me (BWDIKIWAAM)†† that the risk of the particular sort of blood clot that has side-lined this vaccine is: 1:500,000. (One in five hundred thousand)

The news reported 6.8 million doses given before it was paused. 6 cases of blood clots possibly attributable to the injection. At first glance that looks like 1 in a million. But! It is reasonable to think half the 6.8 went to men. All blood clot six cases were women ages 18-48. So, really for men it is 0 per million. For women, it is very roughly 2 per million, or 1 in 500,000.

Unless I am somehow  :unsure:  doing the math wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Locally, the Janssen remains on pause for everybody while they decide what to do.

It seems like to me that, for now, they could greenlight it for men as is.

††

Spoiler

But What Do I Know I Was An Art Major

• Like 4

Yeah, I think on an approximate basis you're right.

Risk of covid related problems is still ridiculously higher than risk from the vaccine. And now they're documenting what to look out for - it is treatable if the symptoms are known and person gets medical aid soon after. Risk and symptoms and treatment better known, appropriate labeling and uses can be done better now, and we go in with proper information.

Information still tells me that J&J is good, definitely for men, and even for women - as long as we know what to look out for on the still super duper low chance of problems. I still worry more about infection related problems - which can include blood clotting (of a different type). Doctors and researchers are doing their jobs on this; it'll get managed appropriately. Unfortunately no matter how it is sliced, optics of it are broccoli.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@TGP, you are correct.  I did know this when I wrote it, I debated putting it in, but decided against it at the time since I didn't want it to be more complicated. 

Either way the risk is ridiculously low, even compared to having this complication from Covid itself. 

• Like 5

Well, numbers are improving here, although a couple of seniors complexes were declared outbreaks yesterday so that might not last (although they have been much better at handling those lately).

Unfortunately, Nova Scotia (next province over, where I'm from and where all my family, and the track, are) just had a major spike in cases, so folks are expecting increased restrictions there, and no bubble, for a while.....

The first shot (or more) vaccination rate is at 28.8%, so slowly getting there.  They just opened it up to anyone 65 or over, which is apparently the province's highest demographic, so once they get past the initial overload of folks trying to get appointments hopefully the numbers will keep going up at a decent rate.

• Like 5

Something else to consider (which is not made clear in the media) is that though the risks of the blood clots are low, the risks of dying from the blood clots are even lower. And it's something that is treatable. It may not be an instantaneous cure, but the world is more aware of what to look for now.

• Like 6

I am just going to assume that the delivery and access of the shots is much better near me.  we havent had any significant issues with delays.  one of the locations didnt have the Johnson & Johnson vaccine but they sent everyone to the state run appointment website and everyone got relocated within 2 days for thier first dose of Pfizer instead of J&J.  the second shots have also been ready to go so even though J&J is not available, the inoculation rate is still pretty high.  

I guess I am asking:  are the other vaccines not available in the area?  J&J is a single shot but its also older technology and not as effective.  My better half got Moderna and the rest of the family got Pfizer without and significant hassles.

Of course if this ins anything like about half of the zombie books i read, we will also be the first into the zombie apocalypse too!

• Like 5

They've changed the thresholds for the vaccines here yet again... Annoyingly I still don't qualify (I could literally walk in to get the AstraZeneca vaccine if I were two years older), but what's even more annoying is lately one in three people in the province aren't bothering to show up for their appointments, and there's been a noticeable uptick in the amount of people that are either wearing their masks improperly (usually with nose exposed) or who will wait until they've gone past the staff and the front and literally pull their mask down to only cover the front of their neck >.<

I just really, REALLY hope I can get mine soon, so that I'm at a much lower lkelyhood of passing such on to hubby, and of course do my part with all this.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

For those who are a bit weary of side effects.

Read the prescription on meds/painkillers etc you already have used in your life.

Still alive?

It's a miracle!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
19 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

For those who are a bit weary of side effects.

Read the prescription on meds/painkillers etc you already have used in your life.

Still alive?

It's a miracle!

Through my sister, who is a nursing teacher with a master's degree in nursing, my family had a few older editions of drug handbooks which list all known drugs and their side effects.

People outside the medical field greatly underestimate how many potential side effects exist about any drug. The more popular a drug is, or the longer it has been on the market, the more side effects are known. Aspirin or Tylenol have several pages worth of potential side effects in fine print. But generally speaking, the benefits are worth the risks.

Secondly, the vast majority of side effects are self reported. Meaning it's mostly patients that bring up side effects to the best of their knowledge, and may not even be a true side effect of the drug.

It's not all that different than the food industry. There will always be someone, somewhere, that will react badly to a particular ingredient or additive (food allergy or intolerance), or that unwanted effects will happen from consuming too much of a product (caffeine, alcohol).

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Whelp, Nova Scotia's surge continues, and they have just restricted (in the "please don't" sense of the word) travel into and out of The Halifax area until May 20th, so we won't be seeing a bubble until after that...... so that will definitely be impacting the start of the season for the track....  

• Like 1
  • Sad 5