How things are going in your area?

haberfront

7 hours ago, Cicciopiu said:

I only know past winter the seasonal flu was nonexistent and the only reason for that can only be that people where wearing masks! so I think would be  great idea to keep masks on our face as they obviously work!

I actually read an article about that. The masks and social distancing are super effective vs the flu, which kept flu numbers hecking low.

Personally, I still wear a mask when going out and that’s probably not going to stop anytime soon. 

• Like 7

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So uhh... ya remember how I said I was the candy fairy on Halloween, and I threw candy at children using tongs? Biked around in costume, masked, sanitized... threw candy in a safe fashion.

And you also know that vaccination works better with lollipops or ice cream. BECAUSE MOM SAID SO WHEN I WAS FIVE YEARS OLD IT IS TRUE OKAY.

I think I might be the candy fairy for my vaccination appointment and throw candy at adults in line. Also in my costume because why not wear a pretty purple and rainbow light up dress and fairy wings when about to get stabbed?

• Haha 12

On 5/14/2021 at 11:39 PM, Cyradis said:

So uhh... ya remember how I said I was the candy fairy on Halloween, and I threw candy at children using tongs? Biked around in costume, masked, sanitized... threw candy in a safe fashion.

And you also know that vaccination works better with lollipops or ice cream. BECAUSE MOM SAID SO WHEN I WAS FIVE YEARS OLD IT IS TRUE OKAY.

I think I might be the candy fairy for my vaccination appointment and throw candy at adults in line. Also in my costume because why not wear a pretty purple and rainbow light up dress and fairy wings when about to get stabbed?

The wings are probably not that good of an idea, it can create problems with the nurse moving them and everything to get a good position for the injection. Short sleeves or sleeveless is normally a good idea as well since easy access to the outer rear of your shoulder tends to make it faster for them.

If you're getting the stick at some of the shops, you might also not have anyone there to toss it to without getting in trouble with the store. Some locations have also banned people handing things out at them without specific authorization and the workers distribute it (Which was originally put in locally due to some of the earlier things and politics getting involved with people using things like the custom labeled water bottles and stuff to hand out...and the exception came from churches specifically donating large numbers of masks for people in line, and those were specifically mentioned because they'd been told they couldn't originally and worked it out at a later point with them and several other places donating them or funds for it there). It's also created a few issues where places couldn't get the locations to distribute fliers that listed places with freebies and discounts for those with the vax cards...

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Costume is short sleeve but wings are a good point. 

And rules on candy tossing... I don't think there is a rule against it but I can try to check. 

It will be at a community center with the line out the door though, not a shop. 

• Like 5

Allegedly, over a third of our population has received a shot, which if true means we can't be that far behind the Japanese in terms of having a super-aging population. After all, outside of medical personell, it's still practically impossible for those under 60 to get a shot. Even police and teachers haven't been properly prioritized over the 65+ general population.

The current plan is that irrelevant middle-aged nobodys (i.e. me) will have to wait a least until mid-June to get the first shot. Between that and the EU's decision to not order AZ anymore, I figure today's students can count their blessing if they even get the first shot before it's back to school in fall.

I really do wonder what it'll take to finally make "Young Lives Matter" a thing when even our government's pandemic mishandling didn't do the trick...

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Cyradis said:

And rules on candy tossing... I don't think there is a rule against it but I can try to check. 

Have you considered launching them with a wrist-rocket? That way they have a definite incentive to catch it or else face the consequences! [just kidding folks!]

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Cyradis said:

It's worth a glance with it, a lot of the things like that are more to stop issues with idiots who might be doing other things with it.

• Like 5

We are at the point where anyone age 12+ can get a vaccine, and if you are vaccinated masks are no longer required by law (but may be required by employers or business owners) and social distancing is "recommended" but not required. 

DH is still working from home for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 5

Ugh.

Some days I really, really "dislike" people.

Went to the local big box "warehouse club" to do our bulk shopping.  I could not get away from the "people" who refuse to wear masks.  There's 10 damn days left on the mandate.  Put.  Your.  Mask.  On.  Over.  Your.  Nose.   I don't want to be part of your "right" to be a super-spreader.

Just waiting in line for the checkout, Mrs. Strawhat counted over 20 people sans mask.  That would have been over $500 in fines if the local PD were there.

• Sad 8

Booked in for my second shot on Friday, looking forward to having it done, but not to the long walk to get there

(i guess i could bus/taxi but i'd rather remain paranoid until i've got maximum protection and just walk for an hour and a half)

The UKs unlocking has been going well (and slowly enough to see problems before they go out of control), but the varient that originated in India has now shown up over here and is starting to spread faster than is comfortable (probably more transmissible, but not more dangerous if you get it, and probably not able to escape the vaccine which is a relief)

If they don't manage to get on top of it, we may not see our 'full back to normal' which was planned for June but i guess we'll see

• Like 8

19 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Finally getting my 2nd jab today, then I'll be fully indestructible!

Just hoping for no side effects this time, don't want a second bout of the faux-flu I got from jab 1.

The nurse was right about me having reduced side effects, I don't feel quite as rough as I did last time 🤒

6 hours ago, Orlando_the_Technicoloured said:

Booked in for my second shot on Friday, looking forward to having it done, but not to the long walk to get there

(i guess i could bus/taxi but i'd rather remain paranoid until i've got maximum protection and just walk for an hour and a half)

The UKs unlocking has been going well (and slowly enough to see problems before they go out of control), but the varient that originated in India has now shown up over here and is starting to spread faster than is comfortable (probably more transmissible, but not more dangerous if you get it, and probably not able to escape the vaccine which is a relief)

If they don't manage to get on top of it, we may not see our 'full back to normal' which was planned for June but i guess we'll see

It will be interesting to see if there's any willingness to halt or reverse the unlocking.

Considering how busy places were when I was in town yesterday afternoon (first day of bars and restaurants allowed to have customers inside), people are real desperate for things to be normal again.

• Like 9

Here's something I didn't expect.

Government (provincial health authorities) sent me a link to get my proof of vaccination QRCode.

Odd thing is that this is for my first dose as I'm getting my second one only this weekend. No idea if we'll be getting "fully vaccinated" codes.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 8