How things are going in your area?

So Monday was supposed to be phase one of getting back to green (or whatever marketing term the province came up with), but only if we got to 75% having had their 1st shot.  We were at 70%.  Perhaps shockingly (I'm not big on politicians) they actually stuck to their guns and have delayed the changes until we hit 75%.

They also announced the schedule for 2nd shots.  I can book for mine next Monday, and my wife can book the week after.

Our numbers have been really good (there was 1 new case in the province yesterday).

Nova Scotia is doing much better, with numbers in the teens, so hopefully we're still on track for me getting home to visit in July sometime.

• Like 6
  • Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems vaccine supplies and/or distribution are weird here, as hubby's appointment was cancelled by Sobeys, and all they did was send a generic email about such, and not what the pharmacist said (we didn't get enough doses in, so had to cancel a bunch of appointments). 

I'm hoping I'll be able to get my second dose at some point. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

I'd expect mine late July. My adviser got AZ and will be further than 8wks on his since he got scheduled for end of June on dose 2 and he's had 1 for many weeks already. I think BC is playing a bit of catch-up before the 8wks spacing will be normal. We won't be getting notifications to schedule until week 5-6 anyway. 

• Like 5
18 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I shook hands with someone today it was WEIRD

I hear you.

It was Mrs. Strawhat's birthday earlier this week, and we actually ate at the restaurant.  It was very weird, and I admit that I didn't care for it.

Work is now "mask optional" but social distancing is still required.  I'm still masking up for now.  I know it won't do much in terms of preventing me from catching anything, but it helps keep my head in the game.  Mrs. Strawhat and I are backup care for Strawcap (if needed), so we need to keep on top of things.

• Like 4

So I've talked my sister's situation several months ago.

All in all she's had: post-COVID acute encephalitis; convulsions (thought to be be low blood pressure at first, but became more frequent) which led to an ambulance ride to the hospital; 10 days of total memory loss; 5 months of partial memory loss; MRIs; CT-scans; blood work; lumbar puncture (gotta get to that cerebrospinal fluid somehow); cortisone injections; heparin injections; intravenous immunoglobulin therapy (IVIg) *with* an allergic reaction (because why not <_<); hair loss (and couldn't dye her hair for months due to harshness of the chemicals); speech therapy; in need of a walker to relearn to walk straight (she was still running 5 km a year ago); difficulty doing association games designed for 1st graders; 25 lbs of lost weight; not allowed to drive; and she's diabetic now due to a rare recessive gene thing got triggered...

As a reminder, she's a nurse with a master's degree, college teacher, and a married mother of three.

But the treatments are done and she's finally back home. And after she posted about her ordeal on Facebook that the family shared, news media outlets contacted her. So she was on the radio early this afternoon. She sounded very informed, educated, yet still quite perturbed (it's online, but it's all in French).

And this is barely a day after we saw another news report talking about how up to quarter of COVID sufferers have had lasting side effects.

So yeah... get vaccinated.

P.S. Of course, being a public Facebook post, a French-Canadian pro-Trump supporter (yes, they exist somehow), tried to explain to her how vaccines and the virus are really a big Pharma hoax and it must've been something else.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 9

Just waiting for my second stabbin', @Cranky Dog. Glad to hear your sister is going home now, but sad that she went through such an awful ordeal.

BC is at Stage 2 of reopening. We're almost at 75% of eligible population on dose 1 vaccination, and dose 2s are ramping up a lot now. Case rate is at 130/day for 7 day average, but looking like it'll stabilize around 100/day. Vancouver's health region has only ~24 cases/day for 7 day average, but we've had two in the last week at only 11 cases/day into there. The epidemiologists seem optimistic about being able to turn this into a "public health manages outbreaks that you won't regularly hear about" thing by September/October. But.... it all hinges on vaccinations. We've well surpassed provincial minimum goals, but they are really aiming for as many as possible (good). "Public Health can deal" sounds like a nice goal.

Although BC does well, there are still some crazies. A friend got over her fear of shots for hers - super pro-vax even with needle phobia. Her dad convinced her paranoid mother to get it too. But then the crazy religious grandmother and aunt started yelling at the mother about how she'd gotten injected with the devil and no matter what she did she'd go to hell, among other awful conspiracies. My friend is pretty upset that her mom is now distraught over what should be a good thing.

For me? I was going to "bike without mask" more often (a safe thing but I was extra cautious, now cases are low and I'm on dose 1) but uhh... I put it on when I leave the apartment, and it kinda just stays there so I don't have to futz with it later. I am going to need to pace myself on maskless activities when we're all reopened more. Effectively everyone I associate with is at least on dose 1 vaccination, but we're pretty cautious too anyway. Being "normal" sounds odd. I'm not even the same me as before. I'm biking to work now ffs - 15yr old me never would have thought that could happen. I have sample prep at work to do again now!

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I'm biking to work now ffs - 15yr old me never would have thought that could happen. 

So how far is that? When I’ve done it, the main issue has been needing to keep down to a pace that wouldn’t require a shower.  Nowadays, sadly, I live 48 miles from work AND there is a river between me and the office that has no bridges that allow bicycles.

Things are starting to get back to happening here.  My wife and I had our first ballroom dance lesson in 15 months last night, and the war games club is having their second meeting on Friday.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

So how far is that? When I’ve done it, the main issue has been needing to keep down to a pace that wouldn’t require a shower.  Nowadays, sadly, I live 48 miles from work AND there is a river between me and the office that has no bridges that allow bicycles.

Things are starting to get back to happening here.  My wife and I had our first ballroom dance lesson in 15 months last night, and the war games club is having their second meeting on Friday.

About 7-8km, depending on the path I take, but the way there is up a MAJOR hill. I've been a certified weakling almost my whole life - only a relatively recent thing where I went "nope, I'm getting fit". I couldn't do 3km biking on flat when I moved here in 2018 without being really pained. Work is also as a geology grad student, so unless I have meetings.... meh. I can be a little sweaty. Or rained on, as is the case in winter.

Edited by Cyradis
distance estimate - had a better benchmark.
  • Like 4

So, as mentioned, 2 have a three "step" process to getting back to green.  Step one took an extra week (to get to 75% having had their first shot).  That happened Tuesday I think.
Step 2 required that 20% of those 65+ have their second 2nd.  We hit that a day later, so we went to step 2 at midnight.  That pretty much opens us up to the rest of the Atlantic bubble as the other provinces regs allow.  I haven't kept up, but they are all either open now or will be on the 23rd, I think.  Not sure if we need to show anything yet or not.
And the rest of Canada can now visit us under certain regulations for shots and or quarantining.  If I was going anywhere I'd be paying more attention, but I'm not, at least for a few more weeks.

Also, I'm scheduled for my 2nd shot tomorrow afternoon.  So the superpowers kick in sometime during the next two weeks, right?

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

About 7-8km, depending on the path I take, but the way there is up a MAJOR hill. I've been a certified weakling almost my whole life - only a relatively recent thing where I went "nope, I'm getting fit". I couldn't do 3km biking on flat when I moved here in 2018 without being really pained. Work is also as a geology grad student, so unless I have meetings.... meh. I can be a little sweaty. Or rained on, as is the case in winter.

You're in Canada now, and near the Rockies, so you can start to claim it's 50km, uphill, both ways, in six feet of snow, chased by (re-introduced) wolves, while wearing your yoga pants.

Though because it's Vancouver, you correctly pointed out that you're more likely to ride under constant rain than in snow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
6 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

You're in Canada now, and near the Rockies, so you can start to claim it's 50km, uphill, both ways, in six feet of snow, chased by (re-introduced) wolves, while wearing your yoga pants.

Though because it's Vancouver, you correctly pointed out that you're more likely to ride under constant rain than in snow.

Despite literally seeing the ski areas covered in snow from the beaches in the city, the city itself panics at the site of a single snowflake. It can handle torrential rain. Below freezing? Nope. Absolutely not.

But while I am writing this, I am indeed wearing effectively yoga pants. General fitness stuff because I'm biking to the park for a training session after work. However, they are not THE Vancouver yoga pants. Lululemon is friggin' expensive. I only have 1-2 items of that and it is all thrift store findings.

Vancouver plague.... less than the inland. Seems like the city dwellers have their junk together more than the countryside here. My neighborhood has actually done far better than provincial averages which is reassuring on a local basis.

I biked without my mask on up the hill today. It was... different. I felt wind on my face again.

• Like 6

Whooo, I can book my second vaccine starting the end of this month (so probably sometime mid to late July I'll actually get it), and then.. 

Oh yeah.  Alberta is doing a lottery to coax more into getting vaccinated, three draws for a million dollars, and then...  Well, watch me win one of the Jasper getaways or a $20 Subway gift card if I snag anything from it... 

Rather brash of them to make the first one open for only a short time window when some people have had their appointments cancelled twice because of various reasons.  We're hoping third time's the charm for hubby, and we'll find out next week.  Hopefully he can qualify for the first lotto draw too, because hey, why not. 

Odds of winning are insanely low, but eh, still wouldn't hurt - think of the minis (well, think of the house we could put the minis into!) 

• Like 4

Exercise at the park today was interesting. There is a big playground for kids, then an area for adult workouts. But a group of kids was using the pull-up bars for a while when I arrived. They cleared out when session began (were polite), but occasionally a small girl would come up and half way join our session. Like... 4-6 years old, jumps on the lower pull-up bar, and then my trainer offered to time her on how long she could hang, stuff like that. One went "I wanna do what you did!" (I'd done 10 hanging leg raises, then a dead-hang for a minute). So kiddo gave it a whirl, trainer timed her. I cheered kiddo on while I was resting between activities. The moms with them were happy with it too. Was pretty cute. Still did pretty much my whole workout masked up for sake of munchkins like them around.

Current thought on it is that I'm probably okay maskless outside with my trainer (we're both at least 2 weeks into dose 1), but even outside I want it on around Unknowns. If trainer or I get sick, we can contact each other or let tracers know. But that isn't true with Unknowns. So mask stays up - especially because the little kiddos can't yet be vaccinated. Low risk certainly right now, but eh, no harm in caution.

And I got a bunch of fresh local strawberries and cherries to nibble between exercises. Can't bring that sort of thing into a proper gym - added bonus to outdoor stuff!

• Like 4