How things are going in your area?

haberfront

My wife brought home some great news from work - we are mask-free!!! I had to wear mine for a few hours a day but damn trying to do a physical job & it being hot, made for very uncomfortable job. Again, I'm all for safety & they do work vs COVID, but I'm one of those that actually is trying to curb the virus & I got my shot back in May. Co-worker got his shot (Jansen) while he was on vacation last week. Sadly he said the town he lives in the pharmacy required 5 or more people to sign up for that particular brand before they could adminster it. He ended up coming over here to Ontario & went to a PNW/regional "mart" with a pharmacy & got it that day.

Weather, yah we are hot, just like always in summer here. I'm used to it but it does wear on you. I know at the FLGS last night, my mind wasn't really on the game probably due to heat (thou the lack of sleep might have contributed to that, but it is what it is, if I wanna work & have a gaming life in the evenings.

• Like 5

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in Iowa, the short term summer community band in town has been back at it the last 3 weeks, it was very weird being in a room full of people without masks. Also my oboe chops were completely shot after not playing for 18 months, glad I have 2 other instruments to such switch it up (flute and piccolo). Last concert is today,  we will play a lot of patriotic music. Last week's concert was cancelled due to a thunderstorm parking itself right over town 30 minutes before the concert. 

Should be a good time. 

• Like 7

And the concert went very well. Started with 76 trombones (I played flute), then America the Beautiful (played oboe on it,  total chop killer), then Marches of the Armed Forces, where the audience was asked to stand if they or a family member had served (played flute,  chops got a break). Then Victory at Sea,  great piece of music and the documentary is great too (played oboe on it), then National Emblem (the only match I play oboe on,  there is a little oboe motif in there that no one can hear, might just play it on piccolo next year...). And the traditional finale, Stars and Stripes Forever (played piccolo on that along with 2 others).  Very fun,  and the weather was pleasant. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, haldir said:

My wife brought home some great news from work - we are mask-free!!! I had to wear mine for a few hours a day but damn trying to do a physical job & it being hot, made for very uncomfortable job. Again, I'm all for safety & they do work vs COVID, but I'm one of those that actually is trying to curb the virus & I got my shot back in May. Co-worker got his shot (Jansen) while he was on vacation last week. Sadly he said the town he lives in the pharmacy required 5 or more people to sign up for that particular brand before they could adminster it. He ended up coming over here to Ontario & went to a PNW/regional "mart" with a pharmacy & got it that day.

Weather, yah we are hot, just like always in summer here. I'm used to it but it does wear on you. I know at the FLGS last night, my mind wasn't really on the game probably due to heat (thou the lack of sleep might have contributed to that, but it is what it is, if I wanna work & have a gaming life in the evenings.

There are a few upper level management people still wearing masks at work because corporate has ordered them to, but from the mid tier on down we quit a while back.  TBH there were quite a few people that just ignored the mask policy the whole time it was in place.

No heatwave here.  Just normal summer temps.

• Like 4

Our ballroom dance instructor is back in business in the last couple of weeks, and we (my wife and I, that is) will be headed out to a dance social event next weekend, for the first time since this has all started.

Her chorus recently started rehearsals again, too.

My employer announced that everyone would be back in the office (with newer, more liberal telework options) as of 16 August, which will be the 517th day since we all fled.

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 6

The Atlantic bubble fully opened on June 30th so I can go to Nova Scotia if I want.  But I'm on call, so a week from now I'll beheading there to visit my folks for their anniversary and marshal a bike school.

The kid got his 2nd shot a couple days ago and seems to be doing fine.  My wife and I will be "fully vaccinated" (14 days after 2nd shot) in about 3 hours.

Numbers are very low here, first shots are over 78% now, and 2nd shots are climbing quickly, currently at 38%.

Masks are still mandatory inside, I still pretty much wear mine when out from when I get out of the car until I get back in. They help with my allergies, both pollen and all the assorted smokes present in our country...

Back to the office is still a ways off. Last we heard they were looking for around the end of summer.

• Like 8

Well, apparently I'm not going to be a millionaire. Oregon's 1 mill prize to vaccinated people was handed out & a student at Oregon State Unv won. Good for her. Nice to see, a 23/24 year old when a big one.

I haven't heard anything about the 10k for each county winner yet. I doubt I or anyone in my family will win, but hey I like my odds in my county at least.........:lol:

• Like 7

I made it home to see my parents this weekend for the first time since October.

Everything is going well here.  We've had 7 days with no new cases in the province. There are only 5 active cases left that are being treated/monitored.

almost 80% have their first shot and 51% have had their 2nd shot. They are looking good for reaching their goal of 75% by the end of the month, at which point we'll go green.

• Like 6

Next Monday is Freedom Day, woot! No more masks!

I'd be happier if the circumstances surrounding the end of restrictions didn't feel a bit dodgy, but all I can do is trust that the people in charge know what they're doing.

But still, Woot!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Next Monday is Freedom Day, woot! No more masks!

I'd be happier if the circumstances surrounding the end of restrictions didn't feel a bit dodgy, but all I can do is trust that the people in charge know what they're doing.

But still, Woot!

How is your house-mate doing?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Corsair said:

How is your house-mate doing?

Thanks for asking.

She's still in hospital but getting better slowly.

Fortunately it wasn't Covid related, just a really bad chest infection (She's got COPD from a misdiagnosed bout of pneumonia a few years ago, so her lungs aren't in great shape).

• Like 9

I had my birthday celebration with a few friends playing Cards Against Humanity on the lawn and some tasty snacks. BC has very few restrictions right now, but masking still strongly recommended indoors and many businesses still require it (which I don't mind in the slightest). Our cases are low - probably will go up a little as things have opened, mostly among the unvaccinated. It is easier for me to go into work on campus now, although my lizard may come with me sometimes because he's got a bit of the Pandemic Pet confusion going on. I'm trying to slowly ease into seeing people; so birthday had folks together a bit more than before, and my officemate came inside for a long bit of chatting afterward.

And... I got my 2nd dose vaccination finally scheduled! Thursday, woot woot! My main worry? Making sure my bike doesn't get stolen from outside the convention center.

I am supposed to go to the US for Gramma's birthday, then friend's wedding, then a geology conference at end of September/early October, and I have to admit, I'm rather apprehensive about the whole thing. At least Gramma and friend's wedding are in high-vax states. The conference is in a fairly decent area, but brings in people from all over. "Con crud", y'know? At least the group of people I'll be presenting to are more likely reasonable; geology has a lot of subsets which range a spectrum of people (both environmentalists and the oil & gas crowd will be there, as an example).

• Like 6

My bike was not stolen from the convention center. There was a person in a blow up dino suit dancing to the accordion player's tunes outside.

I got my shot. HUZZAH! And a better record card! And stickers! Now there is a sticker on bike helmet and my paint cart.

I have a massage scheduled for two weeks from now. Going to schedule a dentist check-up... been putting the normal tooth care off a bit too long now.

• Like 10

Aww, no fair, we didn't get stickers or a card, just a sheet of paper because everything is posted into a central database here in Alberta... 

Didn't get a cookie either, but I suppose arguably that's my fault for not buying any while I was at Safeway... 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Aww, no fair, we didn't get stickers or a card, just a sheet of paper because everything is posted into a central database here in Alberta... 

Didn't get a cookie either, but I suppose arguably that's my fault for not buying any while I was at Safeway... 

My first shot they gave me a carbon copy receipt as a record - flimsy thing. They had the nice record cards here so I asked them to transcribe the dose 1 stuff on there and add the dose 2 info. And first one the stickers were peeled there - hence putting that on my helmet. This time they were handed out in to-go form. Perhaps more grossly, I also put my bandaids on my paint cart after peeling um from my arm >.>

Had homemade minestrone soup ready at home, and coconut milk ice cream, and a few macron cookies from a friend. Unfortunately there wasn't a good spot to park my bike outside the nice chocolate place, otherwise I would've picked up a bombarse epic chocolate beverage. I'll need another excuse to go downtown for the chocolate, lol.

Go get yourself some tasty stuff @WhiteWulfe. Vaccinations don't count without tasties ;)

And uhh... help me come up with more *terrible* vaccine jokes. "Sometimes a small prick is great". "After the jab I was pretty exhausted, but satisfied".... you see where I'm going with this? bwahahahaha

• Haha 5