How things are going in your area?

23 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Go get yourself some tasty stuff @WhiteWulfe. Vaccinations don't count without tasties ;)

Nowhere near as fun to deal with the side effects either.  On the plus side though, we did get a case of Gatorade, which has been helpful.  I agree though, cookies make it all so much better...  So I'll pick some up in a day or two.  Hoping I can go out tomorrow (since CanadaPost didn't even try to deliver packages) because today has been a day full of blurgh and Netflix.  Aka can't really concentrate on any hobby tasks, but could concentrate enough on Netflix. 

23 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

And uhh... help me come up with more *terrible* vaccine jokes. "Sometimes a small prick is great". "After the jab I was pretty exhausted, but satisfied".... you see where I'm going with this? bwahahahaha

I might have to ask hubby, I'm sure he could come up with a few, although most of his jokes definitely aren't forum appropriate! 

• Haha 2
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, today is my first day back in an actual office in 16 or so months. I've been in here to pick up gear, mail, and work vehicles but not to do any office work. We're coming back on a voluntary basis so far and I've elected to come in a when not doing field work to deal with projects where most of the info has yet to be digitized. There's only 2 other people here in an office space that usually holds a little over a hundred people. And things like mask mandates and social distancing are still required (a good thing, not everyone working here can get vaccinated and some are just refusing to do so). So definitely not feeling like normal or anything. But I'm here, and most importantly I have access to everything now, so normal or not, time to make the best of it. Whether or not this state of affairs will last is still up in the air though as numbers of new hospitalizations are going up in my state again. Fingers crossed we keep moving forward towards normal again. 

• Like 8

Numbers trending upwards again in the province, with r values as high as 1.39 or so, and...  Let's just say that most recent press release from the province was disheartening.  Let's just say I'm glad I kept my masks, and have kept wearing them.

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Sad 5

So, we go to green on Friday at midnight, even though we aren't going to reach the 75% with 2 shots that was the original goal (currently at 65.4%). Green means all government regs regarding masks and so forth are dropped and it is up to each individual business to decide for themselves what policies to follow.

I'm not sure how it will go. I know the health authority is planning to keep mask use in place for a while for all hospitals and clinics. I expect I will mostly keep with the masks for a while as well, at least until we see if there is a surge.

Unfortunately that probably means the  movie theatre will drop their mandatory seat spacing, which I appreciated just in general.  I dislike having someone crammed up next to me or behind/in front of me during a movie....

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Well, we are still making headlines because mumble mumble broccoli, and have just gone back to mandatory masking.  Personally, we're fine, though the wild fire smoke is messing with my sinuses something awful.   B5 has arrived and we have a tracking # for the con swag box, so plenty of indoor activities for the next 6-18 months ahead of us. 

• Sad 7
5 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Let's hope that it's less than 18 months...

That's what I was hoping ~18 months ago.  But, based on the way things are currently going in my locale, I'm not going to bet on it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
1 hour ago, Inarah said:

That's what I was hoping ~18 months ago.  But, based on the way things are currently going in my locale, I'm not going to bet on it.

Tell me about it.

Not gonna comment about the governor or the governor of the state east of us.  Let's just say that I emphatically disagree with their stances on masks and shot/mask mandates.

• Like 4

BC case rate has gone up a lot recently since most restrictions were lifted. Vaccination rates in general are good, but the area where they are slightly lower is getting slammed. The Okanagan Valley (interior/eastern BC) has reinstated their masking mandate in response. Considering the proportionally low population in that area and them getting over half the province cases, that seems like pretty wise measure. The other regions are having a slow rise in cases, about as expected by the modeling the epidemiologists predicted (and were comfortable with).

Today is 2 weeks since my 2nd dose. Side effects were mild - pretty much just a hangover and a fat armpit (lymphnode puffed but not painful for a few days). Yesterday I had a massage; me and the masseuses both had our pair of shots, but masking was still in place there and that's fine with me. I'm keeping mine for shopping any any indoor-around-people thing where I don't know the people, pretty much. After that I had first in-person group meeting/lunch with my research group in 16 months. I got the record for the longest time between in-person check-ins with the adviser, since I didn't have field work last summer. We went to a pub on campus, had an outdoor patio seat, and behaved like humans (or as close as geologists get). I missed that.

Bit concerned by the Delta cases going up, but there is a clear split in who the cases are hitting and erm... I'm not in the control group anymore, shall we say. Just hoping that the province can nip the jump in cases before it goes bad. Can't let hospitals get overloaded again, since that hits everyone.

In the meantime I'm attempting to be normal around others who I know are also protected, and I'm going to start going to a proper gym again - one that has some extra safety in place. The outdoor setup is getting pretty old, my trainer is also vaxxed up... that's about as safe as we'll get for now.

Also.... Vancouver hasn't gotten rain in 40 days, we're getting another heat wave, and the last one killed like 800 people in the span of a weekend. >.<

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Everything feels a little weird right now. The conflicting narratives--from the same sources!--about what's working and what isn't and who's affected and who's at fault and which numbers are up and which are down are all totally tiring. I'm still laying pretty low. Been going to church, but I still haven't had a meal out lol. Went in a couple stores maskless over the last couple weeks tho. Woo-hoo, etc.

But. Having said that. I just don't feel the panic this time. The hype is clearly winding up, but I've done all I can do. I got vaccinated, which was a big deal for me, and I spent over a year keeping it locked down tight. Ain't saying "If I die, I die" exactly, but if I'm gonna live I'm gonna have to, you know, live.

We've been talking about going back to the store to play, that's been the real big thing for me lately, but I dunno how this will affect that. I was expecting a total drawback with Delta but was surprised to find some other very cautious folk still looking at working around it. We don't want to be foolhardy, but I'm finding I'm not alone in this weird space. So I don't know where we're headed, really. Hopefully somewhere good.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Everything feels a little weird right now. The conflicting narratives--from the same sources!--about what's working and what isn't and who's affected and who's at fault and which numbers are up and which are down are all totally tiring. I'm still laying pretty low. Been going to church, but I still haven't had a meal out lol. Went in a couple stores maskless over the last couple weeks tho. Woo-hoo, etc.

But. Having said that. I just don't feel the panic this time. The hype is clearly winding up, but I've done all I can do. I got vaccinated, which was a big deal for me, and I spent over a year keeping it locked down tight. Ain't saying "If I die, I die" exactly, but if I'm gonna live I'm gonna have to, you know, live.

We've been talking about going back to the store to play, that's been the real big thing for me lately, but I dunno how this will affect that. I was expecting a total drawback with Delta but was surprised to find some other very cautious folk still looking at working around it. We don't want to be foolhardy, but I'm finding I'm not alone in this weird space. So I don't know where we're headed, really. Hopefully somewhere good.

I'm trying to think of it as "I'm no longer risking accidentally killing my friends". We got our vaccinations. Breakthrough infections are possible, but less likely. If they happen, they are much more likely to be the shniffles than hospitalizing for us. Without vaccination, my track record with respiratory illness would say I'd be likely to land in the hospital without it. But I can deal with shniffles, and so can friends. Until we get a variant that really and truly slams vaccination protection instead of just weakening it, I'm trying to work around it instead of locking myself up more. Still keeping the masks in most public space - I bought so many of the darn things anyway, may as well use them, lol. I need to get more comfortable outside before a slew of Out In The World Stuff coming up. First in-person D&D game in a long time is at the end of August (would have been sooner, but two players have field work). Then I have field work. Then I fly (eek) to see my mom and grandmother, drive from there to a friend's wedding, then fly back to the west coast for a geo-science convention. ACK. That's a lot more than just seeing my officemates and fitness trainer again!

The virus mutates into variants, and science gets new evidence and is forced to update, which then makes us need to respond. It is weird to navigate, and I imagine especially for folks outside of science-brain-space. I may not be in medicine, but I'm pretty comfortable with shifting stances in regards to new evidence and knowing limits of what we can and can't know, and when those limits are problematic or not. That's not a thought pattern the public tended to need regularly before this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The main thing for me is I'm glad that hubby is now a week after the second dose, and he's feeling a lot more comfortable about the concept of actually going outside.  Both of us are still rather nervous about being in areas with concentrations of people, but at least we're slowly moving back towards how we were before (neither of us really likes being in crowds). 

I'll still be masking up, because I set a rather specific rule for myself: to re-examine things once it's been six weeks with either steady numbers, or even better, slowly tending downwards numbers.  City made it longer than I expected (about three and a half weeks, I expected ten to twelve days), so in essence right now it's mask off while out for a walk, but if I'm in an area with a decent amount of traffic outside I have the mask on...  And mask is on anywhere indoors that isn't our place. 

• Like 5

In a devastating blow to my lunch plans today, I learned that the Sonic in town is closed for a week due to an outbreak. 😕

From what I've seen from employees posting about in on Facebook everyone seems to be doing fine though, so that's good.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Well, I’m more than a little freaked out. Turns out this new variant is putting kids in the hospital. Not sure what I can do about it. We can’t afford to keep her home, it scares me that so many folks refuse to consider the vaccine. She obviously can’t get it, because she’s two. She won’t even wear a mask. 

• Sad 6

Really hoping shiznits gets under control in general for sake of kiddos, and hospitals. Vaccinated folks may get shniffles, but are overwhelmingly still not likely to end up in hospital due to the virus. But if unvaccinated people overload hospitals, *everyone* is SOL for any type of accident. Vax'd up doesn't protect from broken bones, heart attacks, or other medical necessities. Some friends and I are thinking of seeing a movie at a theater before things get bad again, and bad in hospitals is what necessitates locking up :/

• Like 6