How things are going in your area?

haberfront

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/1/2021 at 1:54 PM, Cyradis said:

Vaccinated folks may get shniffles, but are overwhelmingly still not likely to end up in hospital due to the virus. But if unvaccinated people overload hospitals, *everyone* is SOL for any type of accident.

Unfortunately, this is exactly what I've been seeing in my area the past couple of weeks, but it got bad very quickly this past week. I'm back to having stacks of positive Covid hospitalization patient records on my desk over a foot tall, and it's giving me terrible flashbacks to where we were in November/December of last year. I don't want to go through that again, but other than encouraging everyone I know to get vaccinated and wearing my own mask (even though I'm fully vaccinated), I truly don't know what else to do to help stop this. Things were looking so good just a few weeks ago, masking was no longer required for vaccinated people at work, our Covid Emergency Operations Center at work was working on winding down, and now this.

I'm just...so tired. :down:

--OneBoot

• Like 4
  • Sad 8

The county I live in is listed by the CDC as a "high transmission county" in the state, which honestly doesn't surprise me, given the behavior I've witnessed and the vaccination rates. We were only at 33% fully vaccinated a couple weeks ago, and practically no one wore masks (except for me and a few others). I did notice a few days ago that at both Walmart and Lowes every single employee was wearing a mask... though several still wear them improperly.

It doesn't help when our county health commissioner (who happens to live in my neighborhood) gave an interview to a local news crew (right after the mask restrictions were lifted) saying that he never felt masks were necessary to begin with. *sigh* The man really needs to retire. He argued with me for a good minute in March that I had the timing between shots wrong for the Pfizer and Moderna doses (3 weeks and 4 weeks between, which he insisted was the opposite), until I finally pulled it up on my phone and showed him. While he admitted he was incorrect, he tried to blame it on the fact that there were "just so many Covid vaccines to keep track of." Uh, sir, at the time of that conversation, here in the States there were only three approved vaccines to keep track of, and only two of which required two doses (and that still hasn't changed). If you can't keep that straight as a health authority (and I am using that term loosely) during the medical emergency of the century, I'm afraid you have issues.

• Like 2
  • Sad 9

No one uses masks right. Been changing the mask out every hour, or more often when it starts getting damp, right? Been washing that subsequent pile of a dozen or so reusable ones every night to prepare for the next day, yes?

I just am tired of the theater politicians are performing to show that they're "doing something". When they stop going to parties, stop going mask-less at those parties, and stop going on vacations after telling everybody else to stay safe and stay home, maybe I'll listen to them with something less than complete and total disdain.

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

No one uses masks right. Been changing the mask out every hour, or more often when it starts getting damp, right? Been washing that subsequent pile of a dozen or so reusable ones every night to prepare for the next day, yes?

I just am tired of the theater politicians are performing to show that they're "doing something". When they stop going to parties, stop going mask-less at those parties, and stop going on vacations after telling everybody else to stay safe and stay home, maybe I'll listen to them with something less than complete and total disdain.

More importantly: does the mask cover the nose and mouth? An reused mask is more a risk to the wearer than those around them, and I think that goes for dampness too. I did in fact change my mask hourly on my 100km bike ride (not wearing on bike rides anymore usually post-vaccination though). The virus doesn't survive for very long on an unwashed mask (a day or so), but bacteria might.

The politicians... yeah. They're troubling. I am glad our province health official is decent and the premier seems to listen to her. BC's rates are worrying to me, but it is also a situation of 95% of cases are in un/undervaccinated people situation. The interior (~20% of BC's population) just got hit by restrictions because their case rates are disproportionately high (50-60% of new cases). Delta is running through the unprotected population. I'm starting to be less worried about people I know (again, back to the shniffles argument), but situations where I'm around people where we can't be contact traced? Not so much. Public settings with Unknowns? Masking up. Still avoiding the bus. Nervous for travel in October and then a presentation at a conference in-person. Eek.

The graduate students are getting pretty frustrated because the university doesn't want to put in mask or vaccine mandates, only strong recommendations, and courses are going to be in-person again. We have a LOT of international students here, so I think making temporary exemptions is reasonable, but.... get those young social people protected. Just about any preventative intervention we have is better when it is a group effort engaging in it.

Thank goodness I don't need to teach this term. Undergraduates are disgusting. Yes, I know I was one. And I was disgusting back then. I absolutely got myself into trouble with Nyquil to push through finals week while miserably ill, probably contaminating everyone in my path. That broccoli can't fly anymore.

• Like 8

Well, our province is a week and a weekend into going Green (state of emergency ended, all mandatory everything ended, businesses are free to set their own mask policies, that sort of thing).

The Friday before it changed we had 3 active cases in the province, total.  As of yesterday, we now have 75.  So, not awesome.  The vast majority are over in a different city (56 of the 75) so it seems to be mostly localized to one area so far, but there are new cases in ever region. As expected, I guess.

Perhaps worse though, since they went green, vaccination rates have dropped dramatically.  Pretty sure it has only climbed from 68% (2nd shot) to 69% in the period since going green. (and yes, the politicians said they would only go green when 75% percent had their 2nd shot.  But instead they decide to make sure they were green for New Brunswick Day.........)

So I still wear my mask in pretty much every store and indoor space.  I did take it off for SWL game night at the store, once I was in the back with the same 3 guys I always play with...

As far as others, it looks like most stores are either asking their employees to keep wearing masks, or they are on their own. Customers seem to vary by location.  Grocery stores and pharmacies are somewhere around 50%.  The Canadian Tire on the other hand was maybe 10%.  I haven't checked on what the theatre's policy is now (the one perk from Covid was knowing you weren't going to someone crammed in beside you, or behind you, or in front of you, if you went to the show). If they aren't still restricting seating to an extent, then I won't be visiting them any time soon.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I think what causes so much resentment and rebellion, is that our politicians are using such a double standard, and second, that scientists won't just be forthright and say "This is a whole new virus like nothing we have seen before and we are learning new stuff everyday. We were wrong about [fill in the blank] this seems to be what is working." Most folks are smart enough to accept that, but when scientist/politico hubris is involved, they won't do that.

• Like 4

Corsair, most of the scientists are on board with the gist of what you said, and have been since the beginning. People *really* don't like the advice changes, except that the world is changing fast, and the evidence changes, and then the advice must also change. They say "we have new evidence, here is the new advice" and a LOT of people take that to mean they were lying originally; but they weren't. They worked off the evidence they had previously. It is infuriating to watch the public response. The politicians.... yeah whole can of worms on that mess, and even more worrying. There has been some bad hypocrisy among them. Really glad my own science risk is "oh no, might drop rock on foot" and "oh no, might poke finger with Xacto knife", and the work produced is neither impacting daily life nor changing rapidly. My specimens distinctly are not changing; I just have to beat other researchers to the work on them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

I think what causes so much resentment and rebellion, is that our politicians are using such a double standard, and second, that scientists won't just be forthright and say "This is a whole new virus like nothing we have seen before and we are learning new stuff everyday. We were wrong about [fill in the blank] this seems to be what is working." Most folks are smart enough to accept that, but when scientist/politico hubris is involved, they won't do that.

If there's one thing I've realized over the years, is that most scientists are not good communicators, and that many in the media are not well versed in science.

So what may be clear science within a specific field, or more specifically that they are very early results that require more studying, more often than not gets misinterpreted and/or sensationalized.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

If there's one thing I've realized over the years, is that most scientists are not good communicators, and that many in the media are not well versed in science.

So what may be clear science within a specific field, or more specifically that they are very early results that require more studying, more often than not gets misinterpreted and/or sensationalized.

significant.png

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Nevada is one of the higher infection rate states.

But that only tells part of the story because more than 80 percent of the infections are in one county, Clark County, which is Las Vegas and environs.

Most recent stats for Lyon County [where we live] is three infections in the last week.

GEM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Truth. So much truth. I try to tell my students, when I have students, that if they can't communicate their science, their science is useless. Writing and conveying the work is as important as the work itself. Getting that to an audience of peers is one thing, but getting it to the masses is another. Media also aren't often well versed in science, and people don't like ambiguity. The longer I'm in science, the more comfortable I am with dealing with "maybe" or "yes, but..." or "we'll know soon, but we aren't worried because of previous knowledge" type responses. It isn't satisfying for the media when the real answer takes a few paragraphs to explain, because it isn't quite as simple enough for basic memes, as much as we'd like it to be.

People are also so derpy at fractions and statistics that A&W had to go back to a smaller burger because people thought 1/4 was bigger than 1/3. >.<

And.... I WENT TO THE DENTIST! Apparently I, and many others, have waited for 2 weeks post dose-2 to go see a dentist, delaying usual check-ups. The hygienist has needed to do many more deep cleanings than usual as a result. But no cavities, so yay! 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Truth. So much truth. I try to tell my students, when I have students, that if they can't communicate their science, their science is useless. Writing and conveying the work is as important as the work itself. Getting that to an audience of peers is one thing, but getting it to the masses is another. Media also aren't often well versed in science, and people don't like ambiguity. The longer I'm in science, the more comfortable I am with dealing with "maybe" or "yes, but..." or "we'll know soon, but we aren't worried because of previous knowledge" type responses. It isn't satisfying for the media when the real answer takes a few paragraphs to explain, because it isn't quite as simple enough for basic memes, as much as we'd like it to be.

People are also so derpy at fractions and statistics that A&W had to go back to a smaller burger because people thought 1/4 was bigger than 1/3. >.<

And.... I WENT TO THE DENTIST! Apparently I, and many others, have waited for 2 weeks post dose-2 to go see a dentist, delaying usual check-ups. The hygienist has needed to do many more deep cleanings than usual as a result. But no cavities, so yay! 

It's been one of my beat the drum issues for several decades that communication is essential, and not communicating is the same as not doing anything at all.

Poor communication results in poor outcomes, in every endeavor in life.

GEM

• Like 7