How things are going in your area?

haberfront

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, complete turn around on the whole vaccine passport topic here.  Went from "don't see a reason for one" to "will be available within a few weeks" . And we'll have to start showing proof of vaccination for most "leisure activities" starting next Wednesday.
Another 63 cases and a death today.  Apparently we are on track to be getting 100+ cases per day, which is about as high as it has ever been here. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Well, complete turn around on the whole vaccine passport topic here.  Went from "don't see a reason for one" to "will be available within a few weeks" . And we'll have to start showing proof of vaccination for most "leisure activities" starting next Wednesday.
Another 63 cases and a death today.  Apparently we are on track to be getting 100+ cases per day, which is about as high as it has ever been here. 

Here in Manitoba we have had the passport for about a month now.....digital version that is. I applied for mine the day I was eligible, but have yet to get the physical copy. As for showing proof, I've only had to do that once since they put "showing of proof" into effect.

We also have a few of the newer wave cases here, and our count is moving up for cases again.....

Reverend Shartan

• Like 6

So they sent out an Emergency Alert today...  Province is bringing in new restrictions as of tomorrow (the 16th), with additional measures coming on the 20th.  Naturally there's a link to get your totally-not-a-vaccine-passport QR code, and of course the site is being absolutely SLAMMED, with queues of over 60k people.

Edit: probably going to be a lot of complaints about how there are now serious restrictions if you aren't vaccinated in the plans (they're giving people about six weeks, plus the $100 incentive that isn't being backdated...), and now a lot of things are closed or heavily limited on how many are allowed in, but on the flipside last I checked our province has not only the most cases, but 2nd and 3rd added together don't even make up for as many active cases as Alberta has AND THEY HAVE WAY MORE PEOPLE. 

Moderately surprised that with a state of emergency declared again there was no press release today about this, which feels a bit odd.  Maybe their plan is to do it tomorrow, or even Friday? 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Citrine said:

Since I am on the immune compromised category, I just got my third Pfizer jab this afternoon. Still feeling OK, but I did tell work I am taking a sick day tomorrow. 

I know that some people may require a third dose, but I'm also curious about how side-effects will affect you.

Most of us remember that the first dose wasn't much of a deal, but the second dose had a knack of hitting harder (more common with Moderna if I recall correctly). But the third one? Haven't heard any mention yet.

[Fingers crossed for a relaxing sick day]

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Citrine said:

Shot 3 after-effects are about as bad as number 2 I would say. Body aches this morning, and fatigue now.  Glad I took the day off, I tried sitting at my home pc earlier today and I just got super tired after just 5 minutes. 

Thanks, I was wondering that, too.  A repeat of shot 2 seems unsurprising, if mildly unpleasant.  If they go to boosters for the more general public (though I guess I’m edging up into “old”), I’ll plan for a reaction day or two. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Most of us remember that the first dose wasn't much of a deal, but the second dose had a knack of hitting harder (more common with Moderna if I recall correctly). But the third one? Haven't heard any mention yet.

#3 was much milder for me.  I was mildly fatigued for about 24 hours, and had mild pain in the shoulder area.   But unlike the first two injections I had a massive arthritis flare up on day 3.  I'd had to stop taking my regular immune suppressants for a few days with each jab, and on the 3rd one for some reason there was a reaction.  Don't know for sure it was the vaccine, but timing coincided.  I had Moderna.  

YMMV. 

• Like 5

Well, since going "green" they don't report numbers over the weekend. So the 199 new cases reported yester wasn't awesome.  That included 75 on Sunday, which is the largest single day for positive cases since the whole thing began..... 

They are re-implementing the requirement for  masks indoors starting tonight at midnight. (I never stopped).

We're at 484 active cases total, by far the highest we've seen (last highest was around 350 during wave 3).

The only bright point is that the region I'm in has been low numbers compared to the other regions.

Oh, and going back to the office has been officially pushed back to at least January.

• Like 5

BC is still at "uncomfortably high but semi-stable" on case numbers it seems, but hospitalizations are still going up. I had field work Wednesday-Saturday up in Revelstoke (mountain ski town) which was great. Had to eat in restaurants for a bit. No issues with the vaccine passports. Saw someone get politely turned away at breakfast on Saturday and told they could order take-out.

It is really weird seeing the university with so many students again. They're really annoying and in the way when I'm trying to get the bike to the geology building. It is nice working on campus again. We're masked up indoors in public space pretty much unless we are with "our bubble". Campus isn't exactly requiring students and staff to be vaccinated, but anyone who isn't vaccinated has to get regular testing done instead. Uptake seems pretty high, and I don't have to work with undergrads so... yay. I'm sure they'd give me Something Else anyway.

• Like 6

Alberta's numbers appear to have dropped a fair amount which is a good thing, and I'm hoping it's a trend that continues. 

Work put out a release on Thursday that vaccines will be mandatory come January, and as of Nov 15th all new hires will to be as well (anyone hired before this date naturally gets until January).  Company has been debating about this for quite some time, but now with more customers not letting those without it on their property, it seems this has come about sooner than originally anticipated.

My only question about it was how does HR want the info, and when can we submit it. 

• Like 3

I live in a city with a high vaccination rate, which has had a mask mandate since April 2020, and a coincidentally low rate of new cases.  The public mask mandate has been allowed to expire (within city limits) though we still have one at county level until the end of the month, and there is still one that covers public schools.  And every hospital or clinic I've been in still requires a mask.  Personally I'm still wearing mine as needed. 

Was pleased to see some things returning to a sense of normal.  Both the grocery store and my favorite asian restaurant have their buffet and salad bar open again. 

I was diagnosed with early stage glaucoma last week. It will be years before it's a problem but it is making me rethink my hobby priorities.  I already have retinopathy and neither disease gets better with age. 

Otherwise, we are both fine, enjoying the unseasonably warm November weather this week.  DH is working from home for the forseeable future, at least through the winter.   

Edited by Inarah
  • Sad 10