How things are going in your area?

14 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Well, they finally said they're going to bring in tougher measures as of Friday when the state of emergency comes back into effect here in Alberta.   It doesn't necessarily affect me as I'm classified as an essential worker, however it looks like I'll be carrying a letter from work on me stating such just in case once more. 

Sad to see it get to this, but I can understand precisely why many of the restrictions (including private gatherings being more or less banned now) are being brought into place.  

I expect BC will have to follow soon. They've tried targeting the activities with high transmission rates, but we just got SLAMMED yesterday. So much for stabilizing. I hope that take-out/pick-up type service can remain, for the sake of small businesses that need to survive. And I need to get crickets for the bearded dragon (already discussed it with the pet shop for our weekly pick-up, in case we need to do outdoor pick-ups, so I'm optimistic we'll have safe methods). I did ask my adviser if on nice days I could bike to the lab to work there sometimes for sanity. We have a huge lab space and no one else would be there, so it isn't a risky setting. I could go in probably without seeing anyone else. If restrictions go super high, it might get hit by the sweep though. Life wouldn't really change for me much unless they have absolutely no restaurant stuff; we haven't dined in any restaurants but the bakery and sushi place across the street get our support for regular take-out. I figure if even Dr. Fauci is comfortable with take-out and delivery, that's okay to do.

Bit of a sad thing - the hat shop I used to work at in Colorado closed down in August. I wanted to get Sir Cyr a replacement hat for the one he'd lost, and order from that branch specifically so they'd get credit. But they are no more. Might've been retail, but it was pleasant retail with a good boss. And the two Canadian branches of the chain closed. Managed to order one during the general holiday sale, but have to ship it to my dad and he'll forward it up here. Shame they've had to close so many of their locations ::(:

• Sad 8
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

woot woot woot! I got my first covid vaccine today!!! Hope it's ok to post here. If not, apologies and delete away. Not trying to be controversial or anything.   In frustrating news I h

Honestly? Not well. Our local hospitals are at, or very close, to 100% capacity in terms of ICU beds and the children's hospital nearby has started accepting adult patients to try and handle the overf

I got mine today too @Corporea!  #feelsgoodman

Posted Images

Uptick of cases here.  And I've been not able to work because guys on the boats keep popping positive for Covid and then the boat goes on lock down.  Nothing really important, but I've got parts to install and just can't get on board to install them.  At least I still get paid regardless and my job is secure.  One of my daughter's friends just lost their house to a fire last week.  Everyone and most pets got out safely (I think they lost a turtle and another reptile).  The mom does volunteer work for an Equine Therapy place and an fellow Equine theory place has an owner that moved to Hawaii and has a huge house that was empty so they have a place to stay until their house gets redone.  They have USAA homeowners insurance and everything will be covered, but rebuilding most likely won't happen until next year. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 3
On 11/26/2020 at 10:28 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Uptick of cases here.  And I've been not able to work because guys on the boats keep popping positive for Covid and then the boat goes on lock down.  Nothing really important, but I've got parts to install and just can't get on board to install them.  At least I still get paid regardless and my job is secure.  One of my daughter's friends just lost their house to a fire last week.  Everyone and most pets got out safely (I think they lost a turtle and another reptile).  The mom does volunteer work for an Equine Therapy place and an fellow Equine theory place has an owner that moved to Hawaii and has a huge house that was empty so they have a place to stay until their house gets redone.  They have USAA homeowners insurance and everything will be covered, but rebuilding most likely won't happen until next year. 

I wish for you and your family's safety. Vaccines will be coming soon and whatever's happening today is just temporary, so all we need is patience and resiliency.

• Like 5

The Atlantic bubble finished popping yesterday as travel New Brunswick and Nova Scotia now requires 14 days of isolation.

This has zero impact on us as we already weren't planning to travel, but I'm sure my sister is freaking a bit since her youngest is at college in NB and she lives in NS.

Locally there are still new cases cropping up, primarily still in the under 30 groups. Hopefully folks will smarten up soon, but as I'm hearing lots of tales of packed stores for Black Friday sales (yes America, we've appropriated your day of shopping frenzy). So I expect it will be at least 2 weeks before we (hopefully) get a peak.

• Like 2

Now is a very inconvenient time to have chronic tonsil problems get worse. I feel great overall - but my normal scratchy throat and swollen tonsils now have white growths on them, which isn't normal. And a bit extra sensitive. No fever or muscle aches, have full taste and smell. I crush it on home exercise routines. Only tonsil problems. Doctors don't want you to go to a walk-in for any throat related issues though. Go get a covid test first, then isolate. So.... I have a negative covid test and now need to know if that's enough reassurance for a walk-in clinic, because pussy blobs on tonsils probably are not good. Not like I do anything risky; if I did get covid, it would have been at the grocery store during off-hours, with full masking in place... and that would have been two weeks ago anyway. I don't see friends. I work at home. I don't eat out. I limit my grocery store type trips. I don't take public transit.

Friggin hope this is good enough; would be nice to be allowed outside to go on my bike. I don't think tonsils are going to improve without doctor assistance, so the whole "wait for it to improve" part... yeah that's not ideal.

• Sad 7
2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

because pussy blobs on tonsils probably are not good.

I dang near spit Coke all over my screen reading that. To add a bit of levity to this thread:

phrasing1.jpg.7c68cab0a8f93cf381f096864ef8a614.jpg

Puslike or purulent may be better choices... though less humorous.

Seriously, I do hope you are able to get to a doctor and get some treatment. A month and a half ago I had to do a similar thing, get tested and wait for COVID results to see a doctor about my ear (which did get better during the wait, fortunately) just because that morning a sore throat and sinus drainage flagged me during their obligatory phone questionnaire.

Now, I don't think I'd get to see a doctor unless I had an emergency. My doctor's office sent out a message to all patients last Wednesday that some appointments might get canceled or rescheduled because the hospital they are affiliated with is pulling primary care doctors to relieve and help with rising COVID cases. Last telehealth visit I had my doctor looked exhausted already, and that was six weeks ago.

• Like 5

Yeah I didn't notice the word until I reread it a few hours later... LOL. It sounded different in my head.

Had another online training session. Moved to a weaker resistance band for pull-ups (making it more difficult) and did well! Oh hey y'know headaches tend to go away if you eat sufficient food to not be in starvation mode (I stress starve instead of stress eat). Going to call the walk-in clinic to check tomorrow. Throat mostly feels fine, and occasionally a bit extra scratch, akin to the feeling after going on a long cardio session in cold dry air outside. Sensitive to heat. Looks way gross in there with something that is not a known covid symptom. Could be a worsening of chronic tonsillitis. Could be strep (although it might be worse feeling then). Could be due to weirdness on vocal cords. Could be start of throat cancer. Probably tonsillitis, and if bacterial... gunna need some doctor to check.

Friend picked up the bearded dragon's cricket order today. Hope I can do that next week. Blergh.

I'm good at avoiding people on the "you might be an asymptomatic carrier" premise. I get being cautious. But it is frustrating still, since my chances of being infected with my lifestyle and habits are super low, and now I need a doctor but they are (rightfully) worried about plague. Darn my American habit of not seeing the doctor until something is gross. If I'd asked about my tonsils being weird and puffy a year ago perhaps I wouldn't be stuck now!

• Like 5

Sorry to hear about the tonsils @Cyradis .  I had tonsillitis every few months through most of high school.  Doc wouldn't remove them as at the time (80s) it was believed that removing them might trigger asthma.  But antibiotics a few times a year was all good :blink:. Developed asthma anyway by the time I was 18, then had my tonsil plus a bunch of other stuff removed a couple years later when I had Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) surgery for sleep apnea. 

• Like 5

Took some hassle but 1) telemed doctor gave the OK to go outside again, with proper safety protocol of course. 2) Have an appointment to get a fast throat check. Did the pre-check discussion over the phone, so on Thursday I show up, doctor takes a look without all the chat time, and hopefully the weird tonsils get figured out. Woo.

How's BC today?

Not as well as we want to be, but tentatively stable... maybe. Our seven-day average dipped slightly downward. It is chill but not awful out - quite pretty for walking.

• Like 5

When the pandemic first started, a few of my patients mentioned losing loved ones, usually in new york, new jersey or florida. As time passes, more and more tell me their stories.  Lately, I have been sending more people for counseling due to stress or grief.  I'm fairly lucky in that I own my own practice, so I can set the rules I feel are safe, in accordance with what our local hospital system is doing.  Gotta keep up the standard of care!  So I have a 'no mask no service' rule that probably loses me a few patients, but I quite frankly don't care.  Our hospital system is very good at communicating our county numbers on a daily basis, and they also give us excellent summaries of our ventilation rates, case load and deaths.   It's good to be able to look at the trends. For reference, I live in a county of about 70K. Our hospital has dedicated space to a covid unit. We have about 20 ICU beds to serve our entire county, which generally are taken up by normal things like DKA, massive trauma, MVCs, stroke, etc etc.  Initially we had fewer ventilated covid patients.  Lately more. I think this week we have 7 ventilated patients, and average length of stay for all covid admissions is 7.5 days.  They've had to expand and are considering moving non-OB patients into our birthplace to make some room. We mostly have 5-10 patients dying from covid or covid complications each week, though over the summer and recently we've spiked in the 20's a few times. I think the highest was 22 deaths in one week. That was the middle of last month.  I do not see patients with respiratory issues in my practice, so overall I am staying safe.   I go early to the grocery store, since most people are not wearing masks or practicing social distancing in my county. I especially appreciate the list of co-morbidities  associated with worse prognosis the hospital gives me, as this helps me reassure or educate my patients on their risk.  Also awesome is the CDC information on discussing vaccination with patients.  There's a good deal of valuable info out there, and I'm happy to share websites if anyone wants.

Things non-medical people may not realize, that I think are important:

People in our county questioned why liquor stores were essential, with the implication that alcohol is for fun, and this was just about economics. I'm not sure people realize that there is a portion of the population that has a chemical dependency on alcohol, and that true alcohol withdrawal requires hospitalization and supportive care, and can be life-threatening. The choice to leave those stores open involves trying to prevent an influx of patients to the ER that we do not have the bedspace or personnel to care for right now.  I would argue that bars are not essential, but access to alcohol via the grocery or our ABC stores is.  All moralizing aside, anything we can do to keep people out of the hospital is good.

There is a national shortage of swabs I use to test for gonnorhea and chlamydia and trichomonas (STDs,) as all of the resources are dedicated to covid swabs right now. I expect this to continue for awhile.  Indefinite back order and all that.  Fortunately, I can use a urine specimen to test, so I am not completely out of screening options, but it is frustrating, since I also use those swabs to culture for resistant yeast or bacterial infections, and that does limit my ability to care for my patients.

We nearly ran out of gloves twice. The medical society has been helping us with supplies for independent practices.  It was like Christmas when masks showed up one day!  They have a fund setup to help us get supplies as they come in.  I try to wear the same mask for as long as possible. When we weren't able to get them, I wore one N95 for a month.  Back at the beginning of the pandemic, I used my old hobby mask until I could get a certified one.  We had to go to the local rum distillery to buy hand sanitizer for awhile, since it was on backorder. We're almost out of sanitizing wipes, so we'll have to jerry rig something soon. 

Remember that the normal day to day emergencies are still present in our medical system. There will always be accidents and injuries that need the ER or ICU.  Our hospital to community bed/personnel ratio is setup with these numbers in mind. If anything is added to this system, it risks overwhelming it.  It is a delicate balance.  A pandemic is deadly partially because of the strain on the system.  If we do not have enough beds or people to staff them, people will not receive the care they need. If our personnel are out sick, they also can't care for you or your loved ones.

I am tired, but coping. Running a small business through the pandemic is stressful. I have not been painting at all. I wish I could share my patients' stories, but HIPAA and all that.  Most patients who have come in to see me after their infections have done well overall, and most of them did not require hospitalization. Most tell me they are still tired and have no energy, some still have breathing issues.  On a good note, I did have one 65+ woman who told me she did just fine and had no lasting issues, so I tend to want to give everyone that positive information, especially since the mortality rates are grim for that age group.

I'm looking forward to vaccination season.  Please get your flu shots.  Please wear your masks. Please stay safe.

Edited by Corporea
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 14

If there is anything I can do to help you from afar, let me know, @Corporea? You rock <3

Got my flu shot last month. Have 2-layer masks for outdoors, 3-layer (2 cotton, 1 surgical lining) for indoors (which we limit significantly, and we don't do social gatherings indoors... or outdoors - online for now). Got extra masks in my biking pack in case they get rained on, or I go from outdoors to indoors. Got hand sanitizer.

Gotta be honest, I felt a bit bad getting a flu shot since some areas were running out. I work from home and can hermit up more than most people, and am relatively young and healthy. I know for any vaccination needing prioritizing, I'm low on the priority list - and that's okay. But the province insisted there were enough flu vaccines to go around, so I did. Seems like a few areas near here had delays, but everyone got them in the end.

• Like 5