How things are going in your area?

3 hours ago, Corporea said:

That was our Thanksgiving- I dropped a pie at my brother's and took home some lovely turkey, etc. Yum yum! I think you're good with that plan, and your risk should be minimal.  For surfaces, most of the stuff I've read says a few hours to a few days, depending on the surface- I tend to err on the side of caution and say 48 hrs to 72 hrs. By then, virus particles should be dead.  But, don't stress too much about surfaces, because they key is then not to touch your face.  The virus isn't transmitted by touch, but by particles making their way into your eyes, mouth or nose.  Things on the surface of a container shouldn't re-aerosolize, so just practice good hand hygeine and you're fine.  Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/etc everyone!  We can do this. I have faith in us humans to work together to make the world a brighter, or at least more fully painted surface!  

No good booger picking until I've washed my hands a few times - got it! ;)

• Haha 9
  • Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

woot woot woot! I got my first covid vaccine today!!! Hope it's ok to post here. If not, apologies and delete away. Not trying to be controversial or anything.   In frustrating news I h

I got mine today too @Corporea!  #feelsgoodman

Honestly? Not well. Our local hospitals are at, or very close, to 100% capacity in terms of ICU beds and the children's hospital nearby has started accepting adult patients to try and handle the overf

Posted Images

My husband's niece (21) and nephew (22) graduated as nurses this summer.  She is now working in a nursing home where she was just infected with Covid by one of her coworkers, so she is at home suffering mild symptoms while fretting about the 50 residents who also came down with Covid from this.  Her brother is working in the covid ward in a nearby hospital, and he is really depressed about how most of the people on ventilators just end up dying instead of improving.  I feel so bad for the 2 of them, it's a rough year for medical professionals.

They also have a 21 year old friend and neighbor who has been sick with Covid for 3 months,  and is just not getting better. 

• Sad 14
2 hours ago, Citrine said:

My husband's niece (21) and nephew (22) graduated as nurses this summer.  She is now working in a nursing home where she was just infected with Covid by one of her coworkers, so she is at home suffering mild symptoms while fretting about the 50 residents who also came down with Covid from this.  Her brother is working in the covid ward in a nearby hospital, and he is really depressed about how most of the people on ventilators just end up dying instead of improving.  I feel so bad for the 2 of them, it's a rough year for medical professionals.

They also have a 21 year old friend and neighbor who has been sick with Covid for 3 months,  and is just not getting better. 

A relative of mine who's a EMT for the Fire Department just got out of a quarantine...he's noticed that there are a lot of medical personnel starting to be idiots about things. People who know the symptoms of Covid and decide that it's a good idea to still go into work and not tell anyone about it until they get caught by others, which prompts them to lose a lot more in the way of people they need and screws with shifts for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 9

Netherlands - Strict Lockdown since last night.

There is a nursing home nearby where almost every employee and resident has been infected.

Reason? One of the employees didn't wash her hands when treating a patient and then moving on to the next one.

Not intentionally, she just forgot one time.

This is all it can take, that one time we forget to wash our hands/wear that mask or be too close to someone.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6
5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

There is a nursing home nearby where almost every employee and resident has been infected.

Yeah, It's loose in my mother in law's nursing home. Almost all of the staff have tested positive in the last couple of weeks and now three of the residents have as well. The residents haven't been allowed out of the facility much since March, but now they're being required to stay in their rooms and only have contact with staff if medically necessary. We're getting panicked calls now every time my MiL coughs, which as a lifetime cigarette smoker is often. Can't get her our of there either because pretty much every assisted living facility worth talking to in the area won't take new residents if there is a chance they've been exposed. And living in a nursing facility where all the staff are coming down sick means there is definitely a high chance you may have been exposed. 

• Sad 10
On 12/11/2020 at 12:57 PM, buglips*the*goblin said:

The conversation is edging towards spicy, don't let passions run away.  To be specific, we don't want to see a pro/anti vaxx debate in here and criticism of government policies can easily slip into the political realm.  

When Buglips is the voice of reason it's time to dial it back :).

Seriously though I hope you are all staying well and safe. I know I've been absent more than present this year, but I am keeping all of you in my thoughts. I hope you are all well and staying as safe as possible. 

Things are really breaking loose here in AR, and I get it. It's been a long tiresome year. I've forgotten my mask at home twice now and had to turn around and drive home and get it and then all the way back to work. I'm mentally and physically exhausted, and I can only imagine how our medical workers are feeling. 

Hoping to see you all at RCon 2021. Cheers. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Loim said:

When Buglips is the voice of reason it's time to dial it back :).

Seriously though I hope you are all staying well and safe. I know I've been absent more than present this year, but I am keeping all of you in my thoughts. I hope you are all well and staying as safe as possible. 

Things are really breaking loose here in AR, and I get it. It's been a long tiresome year. I've forgotten my mask at home twice now and had to turn around and drive home and get it and then all the way back to work. I'm mentally and physically exhausted, and I can only imagine how our medical workers are feeling. 

Hoping to see you all at RCon 2021. Cheers. 

Take it from someone who has worked retail throughout this whole ordeal, I totally agree with you. I'll admit, I'm only among the public (ie "the people") only for a few hours a day but yah......

I hope to see everyone again at a At Texas ReaperCon '21!!

• Like 7
11 hours ago, SotF said:

A relative of mine who's a EMT for the Fire Department just got out of a quarantine...he's noticed that there are a lot of medical personnel starting to be idiots about things. People who know the symptoms of Covid and decide that it's a good idea to still go into work and not tell anyone about it until they get caught by others, which prompts them to lose a lot more in the way of people they need and screws with shifts for everyone.

Heard that post office folk are being rather careless from a disgruntled friend. He works at CanadaPost. He said he's been sent home early about a dozen times in a month because someone else decided to show up to work while waiting on test results (everyone goes home for a while if so), and that there was a cluster of cases because a group there decided to get together and play poker (and this is after the household only socializing restrictions went in place). His recommendation was to disinfect your mail after seeing how his co-workers act. He was not amused by having to work with them.

BC is doing mixed. Hovering at 750 cases per day for a week or so now, which is higher than anyone wants, but it isn't growing drastically - at least not all over. We still haven't had a >1000 day, which was expected in November if we had no change in actions. So the restrictions have prevented wild growth, unless people break rules for Christmas which knowing people... yeah. Northern BC is where the cases are going up the fastest, the island seems stable and low, interior so-so because of some dumdum ski resort parties, suburbs-land still has majority of cases but isn't exploding, and Vancouver is amazingly going slightly down in cases per day - slowly, but peaked at 200/day in city and now at 100/day in city. Kinda amazes me, because driving by the shops we see a lot of people out wandering and shopping, lines out the doors to buy skateboards and whatnot. But more people are masked up, shops are limiting numbers in at a time... so it isn't all bad.

The provincial health official was caught dancing on camera before an otherwise regular announcement, because that was the day she got to announce vaccination news. It was adorable.

• Like 5
18 hours ago, SotF said:

That sounds a bit like my former work place, where poorly defined quarterly bonuses for a worker would get cut if they missed a day of work. And depending on who you asked, sick days were counted against them. So they'd show up sick and contagious to avoid losing out on the bonus.

That was never the intent of the policy, but it's how it was interpreted by too many people who had the cold/flu.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

We're just out of Lockdown:Part Deux :bday::bday::bday:

But only just. Retail is open, still under travel restrictions, no alcohol is being served in bars or restaurants, and all of them have to close by 6pm anyway. Takeaways are still open. The relaxation of the rules that was proposed for Christmas is probably going to be cancelled because the cases are going down, but not as fast as we were hoping. Regardless of the rules, we've decided that were staying put on the 25th is the best option as we really don't want to be in a private, enclosed residence where no one is social distancing or wearing a mask. Besides, it's less people to judge me if I start eating Ferrero Rocher at 9am :poke:

I'm seriously expecting Lockdown 3:(insert appropriate title here) in late January or early February, mostly because.....well...people 

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Besides, it's less people to judge me if I start eating Ferrero Rocher at 9am :poke:

I'm seriously expecting Lockdown 3:(insert appropriate title here) in late January or early February, mostly because.....well...people 

If they're judging you for Ferrero Rocher at 9am just tell them you know a guy who throws a crust of bread into a jar of Nutella and considers that enough toast to justify eating half a jar for breakfast. And I find it only fitting that Lockdown 3, if it happens, to be titled either Lockdown with a Vengeance or Lockdown: Return of 2020.

Things are going ok here, from the recent counts I've seen. Still new cases, but at least no new deaths from yesterday reported. I did notice that one of the stores has undergone some renovations to their check-out areas, which I'm not certain is a good thing. I never much liked going in there (locale where I see the most unmasked people all the time and no cart cleaning supplies), but their renovations don't have their plexiglass dividers in place to effectively shield the cashiers from customers at all. Hopefully they adjust them as they finalize the renovations. They did move the registers over to be directly in front of the automated doors, so at least theoretically there is fresh airflow, but it seems a double-edged sword with winter. I wonder how many workers will end up with colds.

• Like 7

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55379220

Well cases are starting to skyrocket again in parts of the UK (although it's not as bad as the US),

and the stupid idea of a 5 day free for all with no real restrictions over Christmas has been binned and replaces with only Christmas day in parts and not even that for a the capital and a bunch of the surrounding area.

They're blaming it on a 'new' variant of the virus which spreads about 70% better (but thankfully isn't any worse in terms of outcomes and shouldn't be resitant to the vaccines either), I suspect it may be a part of it but I think a lot is just people getting tired and careless with the restrictions on their lives, especially now vaccines are rolling out and a certain percentage of the population think everything is instantly fixed.

the same new strain is also circulating in Europe, not sure if it's gone elsewhere, but it probably will do even if it hasn't yet

I fear things will get worse before they get better, so glad vaccine roll out is underway, and I hope those eligible who are offered it grab it as if take up is poor (as it sounds if it may be in some communities) covid just isn't going to go away

Edited by Orlando_the_Technicoloured
  • Like 6

@Orlando_the_Technicoloured summed it up pretty well regarding the situation in the UK. We're doing slightly better in the North- we've still got Christmas, but are going back into lockdown from Boxing Day :unsure: 

Travel restrictions will be back in force and it'll be illegal to enter or leave Scotland without a really good reason. We're just going to stay home as much as possible (no change there!) and gently rebuff any invitations from friends and family regarding Christmas day. It's just too risky right now.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 5

We are apparently going into lockdown again as of December 24th.  I guess it’s one way to avoid Christmas gatherings that people would have had despite all the pleading and warnings.  My parents are NOT going to take this well, but then again they’re the ones really at risk here.  Waiting for the official announcement today at 1pm before I call my mum.  
our city has been doing well (government/tech city where it has been relatively easy for most to work from home) but the rest of the province is not...

• Like 8

BC's weekend cases are ~20% lower than last weekend, and active cases in province are beginning to decrease. Still too high of a plateau and too slow of a decline... but it is there. I hope that the downward trend can continue through the holidays, but I worry that we're going to have a major post-holiday spike to recover from.

• Like 6