How things are going in your area?

20200118_covid.thumb.jpg.5a901afe84d9982ce30285241f78f1ef.jpg

Things continue to not improve here.  There is a lot of talk of rolling back to Red (the most restrictive) with one region of the province already there as midnight.

It won't have much of an impact on me unless that would close my massage therapist (I don't think it would as they have all the protocols in place) as I almost never leave the house anyway.

It may be fun trying to see a doctor though, as I'm pretty sure I'm developing a sinus infection.  May need to get a covid test done before I can see anyone.  We'll see, can't call until after lunch.

• Like 4
  • Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

woot woot woot! I got my first covid vaccine today!!! Hope it's ok to post here. If not, apologies and delete away. Not trying to be controversial or anything.   In frustrating news I h

I got mine today too @Corporea!  #feelsgoodman

Honestly? Not well. Our local hospitals are at, or very close, to 100% capacity in terms of ICU beds and the children's hospital nearby has started accepting adult patients to try and handle the overf

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

20200118_covid.thumb.jpg.5a901afe84d9982ce30285241f78f1ef.jpg

Things continue to not improve here.  There is a lot of talk of rolling back to Red (the most restrictive) with one region of the province already there as midnight.

It won't have much of an impact on me unless that would close my massage therapist (I don't think it would as they have all the protocols in place) as I almost never leave the house anyway.

It may be fun trying to see a doctor though, as I'm pretty sure I'm developing a sinus infection.  May need to get a covid test done before I can see anyone.  We'll see, can't call until after lunch.

Yeah, you'll probably need a negative test before getting sinuses checked. I had to before getting my weird tonsil checked out. Any respiratory-tract or nearby symptoms get the general care doctors nervous, especially since you have to unmask with your face next to theirs for inspection. They'll probably ask you to isolate while waiting on results too, not just usual quarantine. Understandable, but still a bit annoying.

BC is doing on average better, but that's very mixed too. The suburbs of Vancouver where most cases are have sharply declined in active cases. Vancouver itself has been on a slow steady decline in active cases. Inland and northern though? Active cases are still going up, no bending downward. Our premier is trying to figure out legality on closing BC borders except for essential workers and life-moving, so no tourism or casual family visiting. I don't really understand why that can't be done on a legal basis considering Yukon, NWT, Nunavut, and the Atlantic Bubble have already done so (14 day quarantine on entry). On a practical standpoint it is tougher to enforce here, but that's not the same as illegal.

Sir Cyr's family in Wyoming are trying to plan their (usually) yearly family cabin trip. Middle of no-where by Wyoming standards cabin. Lots of fun. They're aiming for June. I flat out said to not expect us; at earliest we'll be vaccinated in July, and I'm not leaving Canada until vaccinations are well distributed or unless Canada decides to deport me (and my study visa is still good so that's not happening).

• Like 6

Eastern OR is still the same ole Eastern OR. Cases still are high when mention per capita in the state. Restrictions are still high. Some restaurants have taken to serving outside under a heat tent (which was purchased through the city). A couple of the owners are friends, so I hate seeing them have to go through it, but it is what it is right now.

For me, gaming continues on Saturday. It's just me 3 people, so it's a small group. It's funny after having so many years without tabletop gaming & then only recently getting it back, I don't think I could manage without it for a long period of time.

Sounds like vaccinations are a joke here in the state thanks to the feds saying there was a stockpile & now there isn't it (sounds familiar (PPE??)), so only teachers will get the next round (was suppose to be 65 or older seniors (my parents are in that group) & teachers. Who knows when me or my family will be up for it. Probably August or even October, oh joy....but again it is what it is.

I do miss gaming at the FLGS. I hold out hope we'll get to do that again, but I'm pretty sure I'll keep the at home game & I'm kinda looking forward when we can game out in the backyard when it's warmer.

I do see we have the variant strain somewhere in the state now. Most likely Portland, but I wouldn't put it past, for it to be here in this county.

• Like 5

Our Government has fallen, so the decomissioned Gvt needs approval of just about everybody else now to take care of things.

Not helpful.

Vaccination-too little too slow.

Again prospect of a curfew.

My mood is below zero.

• Sad 8

Apparently a few changes went into effect yesterday, and one of them I'm kind of happy about, but will still wait probably a week or two before going out to do such... 

Hair salons and whatnot now qualify under the "one on one services" that are allowed on an appointment only basis. 

...Which is rather handy, because I haven't had my hair cut for something like ten months, and I'm rather tired of bangs coming down to my mouth...  I apparently can pull off the emo look decently, but yeah, I want my short hair back, since it doesn't get in the way of so many things... And doesn't take over an hour to dry. 

I was planning on getting such done end of November, then work announced temporary layoffs, then when I said screw it, I'm getting it done anyways they announced such places being temporarily closed in three days, and I didn't want to be around for the mad rush that happened. 

On the flipside though, I'm doing my best to keep enjoying the extra time I have for various things, but I really need to work on keeping the bad habit of constantly checking a few sites (a couple forums, reddit, and Twitter) at bay.  I suspect trying to give myself some semblance of a schedule might help with that, especially for sticking to a sleep pattern. 

• Like 6

I wear a buzz cut, so I ordered a pair of clippers early on in the pandemic.  My wife used to clip her horse, and apparently I’m no more difficult. ::D:

I should probably look at things around here, since I did actually go out for an ice dance lesson (with pandemic precautionary protocols in place) yesterday, and I’m not sure how crazy that was.  

My parents (90 and 81), in Michigan, were scheduled for their initial shot today. Huzzah!  My employer will be providing vaccinations, but I don’t know how long it will take them to get organized to do it.  I’m in the thrid block of people, so probably a while.

• Like 8

Well, unfortunately as expected, we are rolling back to Red tonight.  That's the most restrictive without a full lockdown.

This will have zero impact on me personally, but hopefully it might get folks to take things more seriously.

On a more positive note, I was able to get an rx for antibiotics from a doctor with just a phone interview, so I didn't have to go get a covid test and then wait for the negative before bein able to treat my sinus infection. Hopefully in a couple of days this sinus pressure headache will finally go away.

• Like 8

I've found myself really missing Broadway this week. It sucks, being in NYC, and not actually getting any of the benefits of being in NYC. And things aren't getting any better...

image.thumb.png.f5092f2c6e0fa3c7b1ec2ff3221b20cc.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Some good news for my area. Living in a remote northern community, anyone over 40 or a healthcare worker is eligible for the vaccine starting tomorrow.

So I booked an appointment for Monday afternoon, and it's at less than a 5 minute walk from my apartment.

No idea when the booster shots will be given. A window between 42-90 days keeps being discussed in the news.

P.S. I believe it will be the Moderna vaccine. Since it's not as temperature sensitive as the Pfizer one, it's easier to transport to remote areas.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 9

Yep...

The Netherlands...we're going to get a curfew ( first one since WW II)

We can only get 1 visitor. ( so grandparents can't come over together for example)

Passenger Flights from UK, South Africa and South America will be prohibited for the time being.

I AM allowed to walk the dog during curfew...Phew!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Considering the regions that did best the first time around were the ones that closed up house earliest, I'm surprised by the hesitancy about border restrictions with new variants popping up. More infectious still means more death, and it also means more potential for worse variants. Hopefully the vaccines will be effective against all new ones, but it is a bit of a race against variants right now. Higher cases = more variants =  more chances for vaccines to fail/need modification.

Hoping my grandmother in New Jersey can get her vaccines soon. She's missing just doing her own grocery shopping, which her retirement community isn't allowing for residents right now.

• Thanks 5

A minion tested positive, so she is at home from work. Everyone at the warehouse had a rapid response test and all negative. I don't trust it but I have to believe for sanity sake that those rapid tests do work. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 6