Sign in to follow this  
R2ED

Painting matrix?

Somewhat of an odd question, but do any of you create a paint matrix or sample sheet of your paint colors?  If you do, what is your method?  How do you list them or display them?  Use a little on paper and put that on a grid?  Prime a sheet and list them out?  

I'm looking for ideas on how to better see these colors on something in natural light before picking and putting it on minis.  I need more than just dotting the bottle top.  

Would love an example of how you know what the colors look like applied. 

6 hours ago, R2ED said:

Use a little on paper and put that on a grid?

Basically that. I'd use some heavy weight paper like cardstock instead of normal printer paper. I used some heavy duty paper plates that I just put a dot of paint on, brush it around to make a square, and write the paint # below the dot. I usually do one plate per paint line (I've got one for Vallejo Game Color, one for the Model Color paints I own, and one for the P3 paints), but you could always do it however; I've toyed with having one plate that is all of my blues, yellows, etc, so I could see how each hue compares across my hoard. It's a bit time consuming to do, but I haven't regretted it. Shows you which paints are thick and thin right out of the bottle.

1084529566_VGCcolorplate.jpg.fae3799b76ae974ec7ac6f88025de2ca.jpg

Here's what I'm talking about (bit blurry, phone camera is really old). Must have been interrupted when I did this as it isn't finished, but you get the idea. You can tell that my #17 and #18 are pretty watery straight out of the bottle. I didn't do VGC 1 and 2 because they are white primer and white paint, figured it was a waste on the white background.

Edited by ManvsMini
image upload
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Heisler said:

Here is an example of something I did from my blog.Color Matching

Okay, I'm gonna say that is awesome!  Totally going to have to try that. 

Just got back from dollar tree with some 3x5 index cards.  I think these are thick enough and have the lines i can write on the back. 

Edited by R2ED

Just did my reaper paints on index cards.  Huge, huge help in getting to see these before painting with them.  Will also help layering.  It also helped feeling the paint on a flat surface.  I know a good painter tests their paints first, but i guess that's why i wasn't progressing as much with them. Very interesting experience! 

20201122_153918.jpg

• Like 1