Sign in to follow this  
nihilville

Orctober Warband - 77429, 77431, 77059, 77432 and 77056

I'm a little late in posting these, but this year I made a concentrated effort to try to paint orcs and only orcs for October, both to participate in the loose ceremony of "Orctober" and because I really need to finally paint some Orcs for the table. I started out trying some contrast paint for the first time and I didn't really like how the skin tone came out on the first model so I started experimenting. I tried many combinations of basecoat colors, thinning the contrast paint, inks, highlighting and glazing, and different washes. Not all of these even look that different, but I enjoy the subtle variations going on in the theory that, like humans, not all orcs are going to look exactly the same. It was fun experimenting, and I'm looking forward to painting the rest of the Orc crew next year.

image7.thumb.jpeg.c28c3f74d78b3151edf92a81d261bcc9.jpeg

Individual pics with the different skin tone recipes I tried below:

Spoiler

IMG_4784.thumb.jpg.1b079127c1be18b2f5861c8f86357140.jpg

The Orc Slicer (77432) I painted. I tried straight Orc Flesh contrast paint, but it came out way too dark for my liking, so I went over it with many thinned layers of Pale Green (09012) and White. Trying to salvage the skin actually taught me a lot about glazing and highlighting.

image0.thumb.jpeg.b98575bf53314ef316baf60d1875042e.jpeg

Second orc, the Chopper (77431). Same deal except I tried a basecoat of Ancient Bark with the contrast paint thinned down with Vallejo Airbrush flow improver. The base coat didn't seem to make any discernible difference as, even thinned down, the contrast paint just took over and I had to use the same glazing process as the first guy to bring it back under control.

image3.thumb.jpeg.3bbc1d159eebbb15387b3af58075cd98.jpeg

With the Orc Sniper (77056) I decided to switch it up and use Jungle Mist (09322) as the base coat and then Green Stuff World Gorgon Dark Green Inktensity Ink. Surprisingly this looked nearly identical to the contrast paint (maybe a little less intense in the recesses). I glazed over with Jungle Mist and White for a slightly lighter look than the first two. This is the closest to the grey green I was hoping to accomplish at the outset I was able to achieve thus far.

image4.thumb.jpeg.02bc57ce9f0e8a444688b43c3de38430.jpeg

For the Berserker (77059) I also used Jungle Mist as the base coat, but tried adding it (along with copious quantities of air flow improver) to the contrast paint as well. This really didn't work that well, lol. The whole thing came out kind of plasticky and fairly opaque, so I went back into the recesses with a little of the green ink and then glazed the over it with Pale Green and Candlelight Yellow to bring out some highlights.

image1.thumb.jpeg.87f794aeff9918f2e90d2ddaa12fc2d5.jpeg

Having utterly failed at getting a grey green so far, for the Orc Grunt (77429) I go back to basics and use Jungle Mist as the basecoat, and then Army Painter Military Shader as as a wash. This turned out looking the best to me after all that experimentation, and next Orctober I'll probably paint up the rest of the Orcs I have with some variations of this.

image2.thumb.jpeg.eaf9c47402294f2195559cdbf42860aa.jpeg

Including the back of this model, as I like the way the shield turned out too. :P

Thanks for looking!

• Like 18

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rob Dean
      I had a little bit of time on Saturday to continue with my Prince August orcish warband (guess it’s an Orctober surprise), finishing some speedy work on three figures.  All three of these are from Prince August mold #655.

I had never successfully cast these figures before this summer, so I was interested to see that the face designs on the shields are just the sort of thing I freehand onto flat orc shields.

That brings me up to nine, but I’m going to need three or four more to field a 300 point warband for A Song of Blades and Heroes.  The real use of home cast figures is to provide bulk at low costs rather than individual skirmish game show pieces, and these guys are likely to be eventually subsumed into larger units.  After priming I found a few places where I could have done a better job cleaning up mold lines and such.  

The fourth figure is a Prince August human barbarian from earlier in the summer, just to show the relative scale of the orcs against the humans.  

• By Lidless Eye
      A grouping from RBJ Games Company's latest Kickstarter, Pig-Faced Orcs (and Ettin Bodyguard!)

Not'Nord, the Ettin(ess)

Normal Nord:

Shooty Nord:

Shootier Nord:

Iron Nord:

Smashy Nord:

Guardy Nord:

Tossy Nord:

• By Maledrakh
      It has been a while since I painted anything. A combination of my arms acting up again and my just not feeling it. Call it the recurring fallow season.
      So I am getting back on track with some Orcs.  These are partly from the first Bones kickstarter and partly from the third. All together a nice band of 10.
      There are nine different orcs that are variants made on only two basic bodies, plus a singular warchief that I think fits in with the lot of them.
      I originally based them on 40mm round bases with sloped edges, the thinner-than-citadel knockoff ones. But there was always something not quite right about them, the bases were simply too large for the minis. So off they came. I ended up with making 37mm 3D-printed ones instead. I think they fit well on these minis.

lots of pictures below

• By MusicalFeline
      So, a coworker and fellow painter gave me a bunch of unwanted Warhammer Underworlds Shadespire minis, so uh... Guess that's mostly what you guys will be seeing from me in the near future!

As I'm just naturally inclined to orcs, and these guys look absolutely awesome, I painted Ironskull's Boyz first. Also, finally got my hands on some premade washes, so I ditched homemade watered down paints on these. Personally, I think it made 'em look pretty good!

The number of ants that tried to photobomb this shot was ridiculous.

The lighting on the individual shots was being weird, so sorry if some are darker and other lighter!

• By Lidless Eye
      Hadn't seen this here yet:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1620164718/28mm-pig-faced-orcs?ref=user_menu

You enter the cavern with water dripping down from overhead. The smell of rotten meat is thick in the air. From up ahead in the distance you hear the loud battle cry of your enemy SQUEEEEEEE! 
      Painted by Ben Rodman      Pig faced orcs.  The most iconic encounter of any classic adventure. We have a nice variety of these little oinkers in the pen.
      We enlisted the help of Bobby Jackson to sculpt the porcs and Jason Wiebe for all the pork besties. They did an awesome job.
      Fortress Figures will be casting these beauties up in lead free white metal. 
      Any support for our small family owned business is greatly appreciated.
      Painted by world renowned artist Rob Wheeler Painted by world renowned artist Rob Wheeler      This project is for unpainted, white metal and/or resin figurines. Models are provided NOT painted. Models are scaled to 28mm toe to eye or 1:60. Models are provided with a plastic tab/slot base. Figurines are not toys and are intended only for adults. Models may require some assembly, may have sharp or pointed parts and are a choking hazard to anyone prone to put them in their mouth.

I backed for the Ettin(ess) Bodyguard myself

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)