Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So, this is a better idea for hide than invisible in my opinion, as you seem to agree by your description.   I am a huge fan of your painting, but this effect doesn’t really appeal to me.  I would rather just paint the base and leave the rest of the model clear.

 

You’re an excellent painter.  The tough thing about what you have produced is that it really shows the limitations of the inks as a medium, and clear plastic minis,  even in the hands of someone so very skilled as yourself.   Pooling, inconsistent intensity, etc.  Thanks for sharing and trying out something new, and helping us see different options for the clear minis.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Darcstaar, thanks for the honest feedback and the kind words. It's not always obvious to give a constructive critique on someone else's work, I appreciate your comment. I totally agree with you, the effect doesn't appeal to me neither. It would have been better to leave it translucent.

 

I must add that it was also difficult to apply ink directly on plastic. Even though I had previously cleaned the model with soap using a toothbrush, the ink was slipping on the surface. It seems that ink works best when applied on paint.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Metalchaos said:

 

I must add that it was also difficult to apply ink directly on plastic. Even though I had previously cleaned the model with soap using a toothbrush, the ink was slipping on the surface. It seems that ink works best when applied on paint.

 

Great minis, a guy in my group had me paint the regular and clear Sir Conlan miniatures for him for pretty much the exact same reason. As regards to getting ink to stick to the translucent minis, I "prime" them with Tamiya XF-86 flat clear and it makes it a lot more like using inks on top of a painted surface. Seems to work a lot better than just putting it on top of a cleaned figure. Hope that helps a little. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

 

Great minis, a guy in my group had me paint the regular and clear Sir Conlan miniatures for him for pretty much the exact same reason. As regards to getting ink to stick to the translucent minis, I "prime" them with Tamiya XF-86 flat clear and it makes it a lot more like using inks on top of a painted surface. Seems to work a lot better than just putting it on top of a cleaned figure. Hope that helps a little. 

 

Many thanks for the advice @Thoramel, thinking about it, I'm sure that would work. I will have to try it next time I paint a translucent model.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Metalchaos said:

I must add that it was also difficult to apply ink directly on plastic. Even though I had previously cleaned the model with soap using a toothbrush, the ink was slipping on the surface. It seems that ink works best when applied on paint.

It works much better when mixed with an acrylic medium. I tried with glow in the dark  but that didn't work,  but matte medium with a drop or more of ink depending on desired intensity makes all the difference. It behaves more like paint, but is still translucent (more so, because the medium dilutes it).

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, lexomatic said:

It works much better when mixed with an acrylic medium. I tried with glow in the dark  but that didn't work,  but matte medium with a drop or more of ink depending on desired intensity makes all the difference. It behaves more like paint, but is still translucent (more so, because the medium dilutes it).

 

Too bad I sealed the model already, I would have stripped the ink off and tried again. @lexomatic, thanks for the advice, I'll try them next time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, I completed this elegant lady today. I started painting her during RVE (Reaper Virtual Expo). She was my practice model for Geoff Davis' How to paint hair class and Mike Wellington's Easy Tricks to Improve Painting Skin. 02749, Jade the Dancing Girl was sculpted by Werner Klocke. I painted her with Reaper MSP paint give her a simple 25mm base.
       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

    • By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here's a nightmarish model I completed last night. Dark Heaven Legends 02896, Aserlis the Liche King was sculpted by Werner Klocke. All painted with Reaper MSP paint.
       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

    • By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here are pictures of a lovely nymph I just completed. I started the skin with a beige base coat and green shadows. Then glazed successive layers of green and beige.
      This Dark Heaven Legends model 02741, Nymph sculpted by Werner Klocke and I painted it with Reaper MSP paint.
       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

    • By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here are pictures of 02811, Dain Deepaxe. This one took me a little longer to finish. There is so many details on this model, it's amazing. This Dark Heaven Legends model was sculpted by Werner Klocke.
       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

    • By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here are pictures of 02909, Nienna the elf ranger sculpted by Werner Klocke. I use that model in our still postponed D&D sessions. She's an half-elf named Vadariah. She had to flee her native village with her mother when it was attacked by Orcs. During their adventures, she became a very versatile young woman. She began her journey as a ranger and later became interested in stealthiness and sorcery. So, she's now a multi-class character; 3rd level ranger, 3rd level lightbringer rogue and 2nd level sorceress. Her familiar is a hawk, flying somewhere in the blue. I hope you'll enjoy.
       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

  • Who's Online   23 Members, 2 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...