Custom printing rates?

Zink

Guy I know wants to pay me to do a few simple prints for him so I'm wondering what to charge for printer time? Amount of filament is easy enough. I was willing to just give him the pieces because it wasn't a big deal at my end. Not going to charge him Shapeways rates. ::D: Any thoughts?

• Like 2

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can be very specific in determining your rate, or you can be completely arbitrary.  My questions would be, 1) how big are the prints this guy wants, and 2) how much is it worth to you for not being able to print your own stuff?

When I've been asked to print stuff, I'm just doing a favor not running a business.  I just ask for a roll or two of filament.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, cmorse said:

Set your price based on how often you want him to ask for the same favor.

Ha. This is the one thing I might worry about. What he wants is about 100 g of filament and will take a few hours max. I see on Etsy people are charging $10-30 cad for similar stuff. I suppose $10 would be fair. $3 for material and $7 for my time and printer. He's a good guy and I'd rather not charge too much.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Zink said:

Ha. This is the one thing I might worry about. What he wants is about 100 g of filament and will take a few hours max. I see on Etsy people are charging $10-30 cad for similar stuff. I suppose $10 would be fair. $3 for material and $7 for my time and printer. He's a good guy and I'd rather not charge too much.

Sounds about right.

I don't know if the FDM printers/slicing programs show the costs for a print?

Chitubox does, so I'll have an estimate what a resin print costs.

Then add a little for the use of the printer.

Depending on the person you can go up to what a printed model should cost in retail.

Keep in mind which files are copyrighted, for some you need a merchant tier in Patreon in order to sell a print legally.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Zink said:

Ha. This is the one thing I might worry about. What he wants is about 100 g of filament and will take a few hours max.

What nozzle size and layer height are you using? My FDM takes more than 13 hours for a 40g "mini" when I want it to look good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Sounds about right.

I don't know if the FDM printers/slicing programs show the costs for a print?

Chitubox does, so I'll have an estimate what a resin print costs.

Then add a little for the use of the printer.

Depending on the person you can go up to what a printed model should cost in retail.

Keep in mind which files are copyrighted, for some you need a merchant tier in Patreon in order to sell a print legally.

I'm using Cura which doesn't show the price but does give me the weight. Simple enough to figure out the price from there.

2 hours ago, jadeite said:

What nozzle size and layer height are you using? My FDM takes more than 13 hours for a 40g "mini" when I want it to look good.

What he wants is Sabacc currency which is basically a bunch of blocks. We found some stls on Thingiverse. I'm getting pretty decent looking terrain using a 1.0 mm nozzle at 0.4mm layer height. I'm going to try a test on that later today. Using that profile it's telling me 80 g.. If I have to use a 0.4mm nozzle it's predicting about 6 hours for 60 g at a lower quality setting which would be close to your 13 hours for 100 g. I've got nozzles from 0.2mm to 1.0mm but have only fooled around with 0.2, 0.4 and 1.0 so far. I've figured out settings I like for those sizes.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Zink said:

I'm using Cura which doesn't show the price but does give me the weight. Simple enough to figure out the price from there.

All you need to do is go into your filament settings and enter the price. After that it will also give you a cost estimate.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, cmorse said:

All you need to do is go into your filament settings and enter the price. After that it will also give you a cost estimate.

I'll try that out on the next print. I do know that in 1 week the printer has already saved me about $100 because I didn't buy a game I was planning to just for the minis. Long term it'll be a great investment.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cygnwulf said:

What printer are you using? My ender has trouble with a 1.0 nozzle, the filament just doesn't stay in the hot end long enough to heat through.

The CR-6. If you look at the successful prints thread you can see the quality I'm getting with pretty fast prints using the 1.0 nozzle and 1.32 layer width. The minis are using Fat DRagon games 0.4 mm profile for the Ender 3 and the house parts are my profile with the 1.0 nozzle. Lines are visible but for most terrain I can live with that quality to speed things up. Going to go do the test pieces for him with different nozzles right now.

• Like 4

OK, high speed won't work with these. The details on top are way too fine. I tried one using 0.4 nozzle at the standard fast setting and it's good but not perfect. With the 1.0 nozzle and my fast settings I got a smooth rectangle with a hint of maybe there should have been something more. No big worries just need to take more time to print them. Worst part about the printer now is the wait times but I'm starting to relax about that. The printer hasn't been running 24/7 lately, only 4-8 hours a day.

• Like 4