Black Friday deals

NecroMancer

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be scouring the deals in the next few days, just in case something catches my eye.

The only thing I need is a replacement to my 8 year old Nokia smartphone. Battery can't keep a charge more than two days at idle, but it served me well.

I don't need a high-spec model. I'll be quite content with an older model even. So I'm going for cheap, but quality made. I only have three real requirements: Android; 3.5mm headphone jack; FM radio chip. That last option eliminates a ton of models.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Michael Contraros has 40% off on selected models. 

GreenStuff World has 15% off.(requires discount code shown on their front page)

I have been wanting the 4 Horsemen and they are on sale!  Not sure I will spend that much on them tho

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have noticed how several Dutch webstores raised their prices the last two weeks and now give "discounts" for Black Friday at the original prices.

Hate it when companies do this, doubly so when they get called out on it.  Rockstar Games has done this several times in the past for Steam Sales, for example. Oh look, it's 50% off, how amazing!  Uhh, it's regular price, you guys just jacked up the price to make it look like it's on sale... 

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

The only thing I need is a replacement to my 8 year old Nokia smartphone. Battery can't keep a charge more than two days at idle, but it served me well.

I don't need a high-spec model. I'll be quite content with an older model even. So I'm going for cheap, but quality made. I only have three real requirements: Android; 3.5mm headphone jack; FM radio chip. That last option eliminates a ton of models.

That's definitely going to be a tough one. Headphone jack is hard enough, but very few seem to have FM radio capabilities these days. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

That's definitely going to be a tough one. Headphone jack is hard enough, but very few seem to have FM radio capabilities these days. 

It's the sort of detail that are never in the base specs description of a retailer's website. Even with the same manufacturer, you can have a budget model with the option, but a flagship model without it.

I have to constantly crosscheck a model's specs on websites like gsmarena's database.

A single letter or number difference in a model name can mean a ton of little differences.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

I'll be scouring the deals in the next few days, just in case something catches my eye.

My CAT S40 lasts a whole week if I only use it as a phone. 

If you want to do midnight Pokemon Go, you probably have 4 hours... 

(GPS; Game and a proper LED light tends to drain batteries)

I think the current moel is the S41, though. 

(Unless you want the top S62 top model)

Or you could track down a replacement battery from China... 

• Like 2

Anandtech used to do nice reviews of budget phones but I'm not sure where the best place to learn what's at least decent these days.

[Edit]  They just put up their current recommended list and they suggest Moto G Power in the US and Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro outside the US.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 2