How exactly does kickstarter work?

You pledge the cost for the set (allow some extra $ for shipping) and make your choice in the pledge manager.  Money will be charged to your credit card.  In spring or summer 2021 when the shipment comes from China it will be mailed to you. 

The items in the set will likely be released to retail in 2022.

• Thanks 1

Also, unless you pledged before the Kickstarter “closed” (which it doesn’t seem like you did), you will actually pay $65 rather than $50 for the Dark Depths Expansion (still cheaper than retail) for pledging late. That’s what happened to me too unfortunately. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Kalibak said:

Also, unless you pledged before the Kickstarter “closed” (which it doesn’t seem like you did), you will actually pay $65 rather than $50 for the Dark Depths Expansion (still cheaper than retail) for pledging late. That’s what happened to me too unfortunately. 

I have not pledged yet, but my understanding is that it closes on Tuesday. 

5 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Hey... I thought I was the resident geologist on these forums ;)

I have a degree in geology, but my work involves more assessing environmental contamination and applied statistics than geology. The area that I work also has very flat terrain (not too many interesting outcrops). 

• Like 1

The Pledge Manager closes on December 1st, yes.  The Kickstarter happened last fall.

I apologize if this is information you already know, but Kickstarter is a separate site that provides a platform for individuals and companies to solicit funds in advance to make a project.  Reaper Miniatures uses it to pre-fund their Bones miniatures line, because making the Bones molds requires a lot of money up front.  When backers provide this seed money, they then get sets of the first manufactured miniatures, as soon as they are ready, for prices substantially below retail.

Kickstarter projects last for a set amount of time and then the Kickstarter ends.  It's part of how the Kickstarter site works.  Kickstarter collects the pledged money, turns it over to the project, and then their involvement is done.  The various people and companies that use Kickstarter have various methods for processing all the logistics and rewards after that.

Reaper uses their custom-built Pledge Manager to process the pledges and rewards.  They allow people to submit more money after the Kickstarter closes, to buy more miniatures at prices offered during the Kickstarter, and they allow "late backers" to join the project, pledge some money, and receive miniatures when they are all sent out in April.  Late backers pay a little more than backers during the Kickstarter, but still less than retail, as Kalibak said.

What this means for you is that, until Tuesday, you can use the Pledge Manager as a late backer and order some minis at the late backer prices.  You'll pay the money and shipping now, and then receive the minis whenever they are ready.  This is currently scheduled to be April 2021, but delays are possible.  I believe each Reaper Kickstarter up until now has been delayed at least a month or two, so one might even say delays are likely.

Hope this answers your questions.  Happy pledging. :)

• Like 4