Dusting off a few older projects to finish off 2020

WhiteWulfe

6 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

If you use Reaper Brush on Sealer, you can just paint over that again and reseal.

I've done this a few times when paint kept coming off a mini, sealed it so i wouldn't rub it off anymore.

Than continued the next layers and sealed when finished.

Sadly I use Vallejo Mecha Matte Varnish, and for that stuff many say you definitely want to use an airbrush for it.  Apparently it dries on too thick if you brush it on, or something to that effect.

What I was referring to though is I can use the pencils one night, and come back to it over 24 hours later and it's still perfectly workable, which means I can paint the colours in one night, then blend them the next (since they re-activate with water), which is rather handy.

• Like 2

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Sadly I use Vallejo Mecha Matte Varnish, and for that stuff many say you definitely want to use an airbrush for it.  Apparently it dries on too thick if you brush it on, or something to that effect.

I use that varnish and I haven't had any problems brushing it on.

Well, it does bubble up easily, but I've yet to find a varnish that doesn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, aku-chan said:

I use that varnish and I haven't had any problems brushing it on.

Well, it does bubble up easily, but I've yet to find a varnish that doesn't.

Definitely good news to hear, and I shall keep such in mind! ^_^

~~~

And as a teaser, since I'm going to have to tidy up the assembly desk in order to put the whole thing "together in one piece" under lights, here's the tail section of the crashed Aquila lander.  I think I'm going to call it done, because a) I'm beyond happy with it as it is, and b) almost every bit of what I can think of is things that would wind up taking several hours for little to no visible effect at tabletop distances.

P1020110.thumb.JPG.cd067265b5cd9a776207331246f95119.JPGP1020109.thumb.JPG.2e29a367e7c86348fd7276fb67e7257f.JPG

And since I was asked somewhere else that I posted it, it's a combination of Army Painter and Vallejo tufts, with the following being used across all five pieces:
Army Painter: Mountain Tuft

Vallejo: Autumn Medium (about a fifth of a sheet), Dry Medium(about half of a sheet), Swamp Medium (about a quarter of a sheet), Beige Medium 4mm (about half a sheet), Beige Small 2mm (one tuft, lol), and Beige Large (also one tuft)

~~~

Would have gotten more done last night, but I spent most of my evening out in -10C weather taking pictures of the sky, and boy do I hope those turned out ^_^;;;

• Like 10

2020's done, but I figure why not post the WIP of my Queen of Hell in here, as she's one of the few leftover from the beginning of this thread (Rauth still hasn't been touched *coughs nervously*).

Oh yeah, while I still haven't posted pics of the crashed Aquila Lander, I did finish it.  Really should get around to those photos at some point.  Mystic Circle is also effectively done, it's just needing to be sealed still, and then have tufts added in.

So a streamer I follow was challenged for a "one brush challenge", which is pretty much exactly how it sounds - you can use just one brush for the entirety of working on that mini.  Audiences were told they could also join in, and I hymmed and hawwed for a while until finally saying screw it, why not.  Took a bit to figure out which mini I was going to go for, and which brush, but then I decided I why not go all in, doubly so since she kept looking at me with tons of ideas flowing through my mind as to how to paint her.  The chosen brush?  My 0.3mm VigiArt airbrush.  Hey, if I'm going to dive into something that's aimed at working on improving brush control and whatnot, why not look at the one thing I ~KNOW~ I want to improve on, and that's airbrushing paint mixing as well as accuracy and fine detail.

Paints used: (all Mission Models) pink primer, red, blue, red oxide primer

Why Mission Models?  They're the only primer I have, they're available locally, and I'm trying to decide if I'm wanting to get a wider selection of their paints or not.

Like usual, my phone's camera over-exposed things a touch, but it's life.

20210124_001917.thumb.jpg.25747997dccff6b3a148ddd76ff2c876.jpg20210124_001937.thumb.jpg.2f1754d7328adffa5d98d4ba50fd5df7.jpg

So, first and foremost, I wound up priming her with a mix of pink primer, blue, and red oxide primer.  Why the red oxide?  Well, even just mixing in four drops of blue completely overwhelmed the twenty something drops of pink, so it was an interesting ordeal to get it back to the original but with a hint of blue to it...  Then the red went down, with just a few layers on the spines? of her wings, but a number of layers on the membranes...  Followed by the purple, which was an interesting lesson in just how potent that bottle of blue is.  That was fun to mix...

So, where am I planning on going with her?  Well, naturally red and purple seem to be the dominant themes, so there's obviously that.  For her blade, horns, and hooves, I'm seriously contemplating something along the lines of darksteel and/or obsidian as the inspiration, while her clothing is probably going to be tones of blue and/or purple.  While I'm tempted to also go darksteel/obsidian for the metal of her armour, I'm worried it wouldn't provide enough contrast and wind up blending in with other elements, and therefore I'm going to go with something vaguely steel coloured, or at least attempt such.  Then finally, for the fur of her legs, I haven't quite figured out a solid choice yet, but I suspect some sort of light tan might be appropriate.  Oh right.  For her skin, I'm currently debating between the "classic demon red" kind of colouration or more of an orange-red, while hair I was originally thinking an orange to blue fade, but in case I go with the orange-red skin it's rather tempting to instead have that be a silver to black fade (or some sort of silvery-black look).

I haven't a clue as to what colours I'll be going with for her scabbard.

Definitely looking forward to tomorrow, even if I've had to do some interesting things with the windows so that I'm venting the airbrush booth outside while it's -20C outdoors.

• Like 12

And here's how she's looking after today's airbrushing session - thankfully one where I didn't go far enough to seriously annoy my wrist, which is definitely a good thing!

Before I go into the pics though, I'm going to comment on paints.  Typically I'll provide a breakdown every time of what paints I'm using, but this time I'm going to provide what I'm hoping is a "master list" of such, partially because I'm hoping for a bit of advice on some of the things I'm about to attempt.

• Cloth: 09425 Icy Violet, 29815 Dragon Blue (now 09472), 09115 Ritterlich Blue
  • Wing "spines": 09680 Spectral White, 09463 Eldritch Purple, MSP Sample (a dark, dark darrrrrrk purple)
  • Leg fur: 09436 Bleached Linen, 09431 Desert Stone, 09457 Goblin Skin
  • Blade: 09461 Vampiric Mist, 29854 Arctic Grey, 09434 Wolf Grey, 29833 Ash Grey, 09280 Nightmare Black
  • Skin and wings: 09459 Ogre Skin, 09405 Volcanic Orange, 09402 Heraldic Red, 09458 Kobold Scale, 09462 Succubus Kiss

These colours aren't ones I'm locking in or anything, just ones I'm using as basic inspiration for what my main gameplan is with her colours.  Skin will be going a touch darker, more towards that classic/traditional demonic temptress red, while I'm going to go brighter on her wings.  For her hair, I'm still tempted to go with that orange to blue fade, although a few have mentioned she'd look rather striking with green or teal hair (and quite possibly with a similarly coloured cloth too).

P1030129.thumb.JPG.0dcb6b30853d4918b7df9fd38bf7e31c.JPG

P1030131.thumb.JPG.d7df6bb76af441c81eb4c8f145092c08.JPG

Exposures are somewhat different between the two pics as I didn't quite feel like doing any editing, so just used exposure compensation on my G85 to get things close enough to the in person colours.

Today's main work was that purple sample in the recesses and darker areas of her wings' spines as well as the "cracks" (stretched/aged skin?) within her wings, as well as applying the first layer or two of Succubus Kiss to her wings and skin.  Oh yeah, and a coat of Goblin Skin to her fur that I'd thinned down too much.  That was... Interesting to try and control, to say the least!

Given that she's being used for a one brush challenge, and like a maniac I chose the airbrush...  I'm seriously thinking I'll go over some of the work I've already done with that purple sample.  There's a reason why though.  I really do want to make use of all that detail that's on her wings, but I want it to be darker than it currently is, so I think I'm going to mix up a combination of that purple sample and Succubus kiss and oh so carefully pre-shade all those areas... And then dust the Succubus Kiss on top of that.  Hopefully, if I play my cards right, I'll get my red wings, but also have some definition to all that extra detail....  Or I could try and go for a dark darrrrk red and try applying that as a filter.  Hard to decide, in all honesty.  Good thing airbrush isn't being fired up again until tomorrow!

Still can't believe though that that purple, which when brushed on dries stupidly dark is too bright for what I want, and even Nightmare Black through an airbrush isn't dark enough.  Oh well, not hard to fix that tomorrow as well, I'll get that blade nice and dark!

• Like 12

Theorized_paints_for_Queen_of_Hell.thumb.jpg.516601c6f903237349a013d9ec8cbbdb.jpg

I figured I'd take a quick photo of the bottles that I've either started using, or am planning on using so there's a quick visual guide...  Or someone can point out I'm about to do something terrible wrong or something :P

Top row is fur, wing spines, and cloth elements.   Bottom row is skin and wing membranes (skin going somewhat darker, wings going somewhat brighter), as well as weapons and armour.

Feels kind of weird to do more in depth pre-planning like this, but at the same time it's also a nice change of pace.  It also makes it a lot harder for paint to dry in the airbrush on me while I'm frantically going through my paint rack trying to find that "perfect" colour.

EDIT: On a totally unrelated note, I'm rather loving this Scale75 acrylic thinner for airbrush I picked up at the local gaming store.  I'm going to have to see if they have more, because boy do I love it, ESPECIALLY how the nozzle is - you can almost have a FULL BOTTLE held vertically and it won't let a drop out.  A drop almost comes out at 80 degrees upside down, which is downright awesome.  My current airbrush thinner (Mission Models) likes to glorb out a bunch every time you tip it even just 15-20 degrees...  Also, we discovered last night that while Mission Models takes over an hour for my airbrush booth to vent the smell out of the living room, Reaper's paints have almost no perceptible smell within the air after an airbrushing, which has effectively solidified my idea of getting a bunch more of this paint line...  Because it just doesn't aggravate hubby's nose and/or lungs.  Well, that and I want to have the entire Bones line, as well as Pathfinder.  Tempting to also look into getting a decent chunk of the MPS line too, but we shall see.  Every time I reach for paint it's almost always from the Bones line, as can be seen in this pic.

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 9

P1030141.thumb.JPG.46e2b4ea7dc5e4a54f92ff19820609db.JPGP1030140.thumb.JPG.498b3ac70852382bf22a617a131437b3.JPG

Steadily getting her skin more where I want it while having done a decent amount of focusing on her wings.  I may have figured out a solution that I can use to bring out additional details in her wings and that's to go just a touch brighter, and then go over things quickly with a very, very thinned down colour, effectively using a filter style effect on the whole thing.  If I play my cards right, such will mostly fill in the various recesses in her wings, while also darkening and blending things together on her wings somewhat, which would be a nice bonus.  The only question that comes to mind is whether to go with a purple, purple-red, or a red for such an effect.  I'm kind of thinking a combination of Heraldic Red and Kobold Skin, as such should hopefully tie all the current colours together.  The other option is to just say screw it, go for broke, pull a @OneBoot and go for the throat with purple!  If I went purple, I'd get some of the other stuff done first, and then hit most of the details up with purple to becoming a unifying shadow.  Hmmmm.

Seriously contemplating keeping that red armour too, since it stands out from her yet works with her colours....  And then go with purple for all of the cloth.

• Like 10

So, first and foremost, my brilliant idea didn't work out at all.  Oh well, world isn't going to end.  Secondly, this is probably where I'm going to end this part of the one brush challenge, at least with the airbrush.  Sure, I could keep fiddling around with this or that, and keep pushing things, but in all honesty a few things have cropped up with this...

• First and foremost, I'd love to be able to post her to January's Reaper Challenge League!
  • Secondly, this fox just wants to finish the mini!
  • Third, and arguably the most important, I've gotten a lot better with my airbrush, especially with aiming, as well as cleaning...  But I'm also starting to get aggravated by it, because I'm either hitting a personal skill wall, or more likely it's that it takes bloody well forever to do a colour change.
  • Finally, this is probably the biggest one of them all - I'm going to have to come in with some thick paint to fix up several areas that have worn off due to handling

Right, there's also the obvious things like wanting to give her face some depth, get her eyes, and those various ridges and valleys in her wings will be sooooo much easier (and doable with my current skill level and how I prepped) by just reaching for Citadel liquid magic - err, I mean Citadel shades.  Her hair will get a good amount of depth, as will those wings, all the various ridges and whatnot, and then some of the extras like cloth will get their final colours.

The other thing too is, if I'm not enjoying the process all that much anymore (I am, just nowhere near as much as the first few hours of work) and every ten minutes I'm going "why haven't I just picked up a brush yet?" I'm going to listen to that voice.  So I'll be submitting these images to the Discord that has the challenge on it (ThunderheadStudio will be going over the entries with GregTheSaltMiner/We'reTheGamers this Sunday), and then I'll submit the two pics that have had brushwork done afterwards.  She's already passed that "90% done, 90% to go" stage, and there are some things that I'm just significantly more comfortable with doing with a brush.  Or, in short, I kind of want to finish painting her next time over 1-2 hours or so at most so I can then move on to the next one.  I'm not certain if I'll stick to the whole one brush challenge aspect of it for the additions - I'm still debating about that, because I'd rather not use my Raphaels to drybrush.

P1030143.thumb.JPG.cecb9afada9f1d594c28c234c4094661.JPGP1030144.thumb.JPG.70c0b388d9383d237c64ba0c79d61bd2.JPG

• Like 10

So, still working away on my Queen of Hell, just....  Yeah, uh...  Some would say it's slow, I argue it's steady! ::P:

As it's been a while, I honestly can't say what colours have been used.

P1030209.thumb.jpg.d539b847b6255cbabc60c3addca36546.jpgP1030210.thumb.jpg.e586161661831614423eba8e9b6e45df.jpg

^Here's where things were a "little while" ago, even if the pictures were only taken a few days ago *whistles innocently*

20210329_190004.thumb.jpg.692fe0e00ea78d4b4a350a9eac87fbaa.jpg20210329_190016.thumb.jpg.5f2f89e2581f3e303f2d4d116f91fb65.jpg

^And a quick phone pic of how she looks now.

Sure, there are a number of areas I take one look at and go "oof, I really should work on x" but I'm pretty much thinking I might do just a few more touchups on the blade, work on the remaining cloth bits, her skin, face, and jewllery, then call her finished.

• Like 10

16 hours ago, Samedi said:

Kudos for dropping the one brush challenge! A challenge shouldn't be a cage - when there's no more room to grow, you got to open the door and leave!

The queen looks impressive!

In some ways, I've kept to a one brush challenge, since pretty much all work afterwards has been done with a Monument Hobbies Bomb Wick Artillery size 2 round, but that's been mainly due to it being the easiest to grab, a size 2, and also just working for what I needed it to do...  But the one brush bit isn't the main focus.  I got the main goal out of using the airbrush as long as I did, which was better mixing of paint for it as well as control. 

Said one brush challenge did get me to fire up my airbrush and roll with the "go with the flow" run on instinct style of painting, so I'm beyond happy about that, because it let me get through a lot of the more frustrating aspects of the initial colour blocking in.  Getting those first few steps sorted out tends to be a difficult point for me with a lot of minis, to say the least - this is why with my Infinity miniatures I've switched over to a combination of zenithal priming and a 2-3 layer drybrush of the main theme colour, as it helps tremendously for my style of doing things. 

One of the biggest things though has been being able to look at things and go "sure, I could do more with this or that" but also be able to put a foot down and say "no, that section is done"...  I've had a few comment that the fingers on her wings would look even better with a bit of extra contrast to bring out more details, but since I can't think of anything and no real feeling comes from such I'm more than happy to just call the wings done.  Besides, I kind of like the menace they seem to have as is, aaaand I really want ~her~ to be the main focus, not her wings. 

And many many thanks for the compliment, she's been a fair bit of work, and I'm pausing more often on my work of her, but in some ways some of those are due to other things, as well as kind of doing a typical "uhhh.... What to do to get this last thing". 

The biggest thing right now is trying to figure out a colour for that cloth - I honestly can't decide between blue or purple, and i seem to get a good vibe from the idea of a mix of the two, so that's probably the way I'll go. 

• Like 3