Getting to know you December 2020

Werkrobotwerk

18 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

For hobby, the legendary Sir Forcscale presents me with the fabled Blade of Scaling. With it everything I print will be the scale I want it, the first time, every time.

I think I'd send my troops over to take your Blade of Scaling!! ha ha

For work, I could use a ring of haste every now & then. It'd make downstacking pallets a hell of lot faster & easier. Creature, hell let one of the giant rats that come around every now then, hand it to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 9:

it is well known that [magical creature] handing out [weapon] = [job]

what magical creature and weapon are required for your job? or any job you want to talk about

Galadriel gifts me the light of Earendil, that I might see all the spots in the trailers that I missed the first time. It would also be handy for camping. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, CashWiley said:

I am the magical creature. My mere presence can make a truculent piece of technology suddenly work perfectly. To the chagrin of my coworkers, who swear it wasn't working just a moment ago. And to the amazement of the public, when I swoop in and everything is suddenly working as if by MAGIC.

It's a long running joke, because it happens so regularly.

A long time ago, I dubbed this the "Admin Aura" I have about a 30 ft radius aura in which truculent computers miraculously start behaving. I know this because they will misbehave again as soon as I am out of range. This can make troubleshooting difficult sometimes... I now spend most of my time coding. I'd like a magical "debug" wand.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 10:

Genies! Lamp, bottle, or something else?

If old episodes of I Dream of Jeannie have taught me anything is that The interior space of a genie's bottle isn't necessarily limited to just a few square inches. I mean she had a pretty groovy purple lounge room in her bottle. And if I remember correctly, the genie at the end of Aladdin decided to use his bottle as a home as he left to travel the world. This implies that depending on circumstance the genie is able to alter the interior of the bottle to properly suit them. Now Aladdin's universe didn't have digital storage and Jeannie wouldn't have had proper access to digital storage either, despite Tony Nelson being an astronaut. Modern Genies though should have access to modern technology and, as is implied by Jafar as he becomes a Genie, the universe is theirs to control. As such we have to assume they understand this medium and are able to readily manipulate it as we've seen our other genie's do with their archaic storage devices. Therefore I'm assuming the modern Genie would just skip the possible crowding issues of a bottle or a lamp and go in for a something like a 16TB external hard drive.  Or at least that's where my slightly undercaffeinated brain is going this morning. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

My favorite genie moment is the old Twilight Zone episode featuring one in a pawn shop. It's one of the classic classics. He came out of a bottle. It appears that genies need to be in a container that can hold something gaseous. Quite often, the container is a mundane object that the unsuspecting manipulates; this makes the genie like a mimic. So my genie would come out of a fire extinguisher. 

She would be the cleverest of genies, as she would quickly be free of her service. Who wouldn't plead for their loved ones, possessions and home that are on fire? And if she were like the classic genies, or the Twilight Zone one...well, it's easy to be less than benevolent as well, especially when your fire extinguisher is suddenly out of service.

*This has been a public service announcement to inspect your fire extinguishers and smoke detectors monthly. You're welcome.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 10:

Moka pot!

450px-Espressokanne_im_Lichtzelt.jpg

I'd mostly wish for strong coffee anyway, so might as well have a genie that's also a barista. (The genie may be Italian)

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 10:

I'm going to go with something cats tend to like, and humans ignore.  That way they'll be able to bring about the horrors of the vacuum onto the humans, or something even more fiendish!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 10:

A dropper bottle seems ideal.  Small, easy to carry, won't get taken away if you try to board a flight, and so handy when you are sitting there going, "I wish I had <that one colour that you absolutely need but don't have>".

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2