Getting to know you December 2020

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 14:

It's time for questions about snow:

Have you had any yet this year? how do you paint snow on a mini? If you live somewhere that never gets snow, what is the weather like in the winter.

We had a couple inches over the weekend, but it melted off after a day or two.

I prefer snow, because it's the least amount of maintenance (compared to maintaining a summer lawn or doing spring/autumn lawn chores + all the other non-winter outdoor and household chores). Snowblowing the driveway = 15 minutes every now and again, mowing the yard = 2 hours a week, every week, plus more for trimming etc... Winter is the only season where I have enough time to actually get into hobbies without letting responsibilities lapse. Also, during the winter, people tend to stay inside, there are a lot less hooligans out and about.

Less work, time for hobbies, and quiet? Yes, please.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

December 14:

Have you had any yet this year? how do you paint snow on a mini? If you live somewhere that never gets snow, what is the weather like in the winter.

I hate the snow!

I'm looking out my back door at the snow right now and expecting more tonight. (Fotunately its not much right now)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

December 14:

We had a freak storm back in October.  Normally, we get ~25" during the season, 1-3" at a time, most of it comes in February and March. The last few years we have been below average. This year we are in a drought. 

Snow bases aren't something I do much of. The last couple were painted putty. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

December 14 

hmm

1. yes we had 3-6 inches at a time starting just before Halloween (this ended the fire season in colorado- 1-2 ft fell on 3 major fires.  

this year each fall has lasted as much as a week before melting off.  The snow hasn't been great for sculpting, but we did manage a 3.5 ft tall pokemon. 

2. I mix modge podge and baking soda.  picture shows experiments with (top) citadel snow texture, & modgepodge, the bottom right is elmers glue and baking soda 

and the left side is what I used for this project and have used since. 

basing3.jpg.0b64e42dff3b1cb6ca949966d8516d5b.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 14:

I live in Canada. Sometimes we get snow.

image.png.e23772e68d6cb978efad4f543b95ef06.png

There's very little on the west coast until you start getting to the mountains. After that, as you go east it keeps building up further and further until finally, it all dumps into the yard of @buglips*the*goblin. I wish I was joking.

I do have some snow textures paints for my minis, and I also have pigments to use when I need partly melted snow around exhausts.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

December 14:

We had a little bit of snow. Just enough to look pretty while falling and melt on impact. Of course it froze solid that night <_< We're supposed to get more snow this week, in that we're supposed to get a nor'easter and there's argument among the modelling over whether we get 6 inches or a foot.

I've used putty and thick paint. I also have some crackle medium from the art store that makes unsatisfactory crackling but it mounds and glorps like wet snow.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I live in Canada. Sometimes we get snow.

image.png.e23772e68d6cb978efad4f543b95ef06.png

There's very little on the west coast until you start getting to the mountains. After that, as you go east it keeps building up further and further until finally, it all dumps into the yard of @buglips*the*goblin. I wish I was joking.

Having lived near Buglips, and traveled by plane on a weekly basis along the Eastern Canadian coast with multiple layovers for three years, I can confirm that the maritime provinces can get pretty extreme weather.

You can get several feet of snow under 24 hours, near hurricane levels of winds, and have it all melt by next week. Rinse. Repeat.

Myself, I'm used to having over 10 feet of snow on the front lawn by winter's end. It's just not a real winter without it.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

December 14:

We have, but nothing that has stuck around, or needed shoveling. It hit +9C over night last night, Wednesday has a forecast high of -11C, back up to +2C by Sunday, so we might get some flurries during the transitions.....

This is fairly typical of the area, which leads to lots of ice, slush and bad roads/sidewalks/foundations (concrete and even ashphalt don't like multiple freeze thaw cycles , since moisture does that annoying expand when freezing thing.....). 

I still haven't done much in the way of snow on bases.  I have stuff, I've just never really got around to trying any of it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
On 12/13/2020 at 12:58 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 12:

On the weekend do you wake up at the same time as during the week?

3 Children between 3 and 8....I think that answers that one.

On 12/14/2020 at 1:01 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 13:

What's the best software bug you've ever seen?

This question brought to you by cars in cyberpunk driving through walls to hogwarts, and swords that achieve warp 9.5 in destiny 2.

As someone else said, bugs are for squashing.

in terms of 'best' bug, well I'll leave games out of it cause I can't remember any in particular, but at work we were having some development done, IT came back and said they'd completed the task...on testing they had completed that task, but in the proces they'd also broken some critical functionality that we needed for our workflows (the bug was introduced in fixing another bug that was irritating, but we'd been working around for 5+ years by that point) 

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 14:

Snow...nope, no snow here this year, but then again at getting to 30+ celsius I wouldn't expect any...even in winter we don't usually get snow, and if we do it is a few flakes floating through the sky to melt before it hits the ground

For snow on a mini I use Woodland Scenics snow over spackle compound mixed to a consistency similar to PVA glue...wait, that's for bases...for minis I usually don't bother,

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
On 12/13/2020 at 8:01 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 13:

This question brought to you by cars in cyberpunk driving through walls to hogwarts, and swords that achieve warp 9.5 in destiny 2.

I don't normally use those type of exploits when I play a game.  The temporarily amusing ones don't leave a lasting impression, while anything that makes a game super easy ends up making me bored.

10 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 14:

Yes, but only a little and it didn't last.  While every night has been below freezing for awhile, the days have been sunny and warm enough to keep the surface temperature up.  I paint snow with white and bluish off whites.  Occasionally yellow, but not often.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 14:

We actually had a dusting last night. Happily, it was gone by morning. Having grown up in Chicago and having experienced major blizzards and -80F wind chills, I do not miss it AT ALL!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Oddly, the grass is still green here in MN this year.  We got about 9 inches back in October, but it all melted and then we've been getting in the 40's and 50's ever since...weird.  Today is the first day with some good cold temps at 10 deg F right now and a high of 20; the forecast calls for no snow and temps back near 40 by Saturday.  Weird winter.  At this rate, we won't be ice fishing until after Christmas (something we used to do the Day after Thanksgiving when I was a kid).

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
On 12/13/2020 at 2:01 PM, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 13:

The best one I can think of was from a really, really old version of Monster Hunter. There was a certain point near the exit of an area map where you could stand and not get hit by monsters. Even better, if  that monster was one of these....

3rdGen-Rathian_Render_001.thumb.png.2a716275c0ca244fc190531bb9fb7c8e.png

....then you could repeatedly hit it on the nose and it couldn't retaliate. Even better, the game rewarded you with better drops if you did more damage to the head of the monster(because it was usually really difficult), so I ended up with 100+ Rathian Rubies for my troubles :lol:

22 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 14:

We had snow that lasted all of a day last week. It wasn't even good snow, just that rubbish sprinkling that freezes solid and make sure you skight all over the place :angry: We're back to our normal rain now.

Coincidentally, I just bought a bunch of snow effects stuff from WWScenics, Green Stuff World and GW but I haven't tried them out yet.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1