Getting to know you December 2020

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I generally try not to meet wildlife, that way neither of us gets hurt. I love being able to watch from a respectful distance, though.

That said, I have watched a chipmunk sitting out on my back patio with absolutely zero cares about the cat on the other side of the sliding door absolutely losing it's mind trying to get to it.

I did once get adopted/kidnapped by a very young lion cub at a petting zoo. I had gotten down on the ground to play with them and one of them came over, climbed into my lap, curled up, and went to sleep. 

A petting zoo with Lion Cubs???

Never heard of that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

A petting zoo with Lion Cubs???

Never heard of that.

Yeah, it seemed a  little odd to me, too.

The animal handlers really seemed to be very knowledgeable about the animals in their care, and they also seemed to have a genuine concern for their wellbeing.

I didn't consider it at the time, but in the years since I have, and I wonder if that was one of those semi-legal carnival/circuses that you hear about in the news occasionally.

I certainly hope it wasn't. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yeah, it seemed a  little odd to me, too.

The animal handlers really seemed to be very knowledgeable about the animals in their care, and they also seemed to have a genuine concern for their wellbeing.

I didn't consider it at the time, but in the years since I have, and I wonder if that was one of those semi-legal carnival/circuses that you hear about in the news occasionally.

I certainly hope it wasn't. 

Oh, about 20 yrs ago  I petted a lion cub and had my photo taken with it in a circus.

Wasn't aware of the problems back then, learned about it later and regretted it.

Won't participate in something like that again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 24:

Ho ho ho. Have you ever seen a reindeer in person? If they were unavailable, what other animal should Santa use to drag a sleigh?

Yes, I've seen caribou on a few occasions.

If unavailable, due to the speeds involved, I'm thinking a Blackbird :poke:
photograph-of-a-u-s-air-force-lockheed-s

From D&D, a team of blink dogs might help.  Would certainly make house entry easier.....

And from Star Wars, a Purrgil would help Santa get around at light speed!

(From Star Wars Rebels, giant tentacled space whales that can travel through Hyperspace naturally)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
48 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 24:

Ho ho ho. Have you ever seen a reindeer in person? If they were unavailable, what other animal should Santa use to drag a sleigh?

I never have seen the real thing up close & personal...or impersonal for that matter.

As far as an alternate, the original Santa & sleigh thing said "a miniature sleigh & eight tiny reindeer". SO mice came to mind followed closely by Bill Murray's suggestion of affixing antlers on mice with staples a la Scrooged.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 24:

Have I seen reindeer, i.e. caribou. Yes, on several occasions. A lot smaller than I expected once I realized they were the same animal.

Alternate animal for Santa's sleigh: CATS!

Tying them up to the sleigh will be a pain, but once you start shining your Rudolph-3000 Laser Pointer in front of them towards the next house, you'll make record time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 24:

I have not seen reindeer.  I have seen moose rather up close and personal (insert quip about Corolla 1, Moose 0, and annoyance that the photos of giant moose broccoli prints in the windshield didn't turn out) and while I'd rather not experience that again (or any kind of close encounter with a moose)....

My vote is for huskies and/or malamutes.  Proper, Alaskan huskies or malamutes, not these show ones we have now, with their noticeably shorter fur.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 24:

Yes, occasionally a mall here will drag one out for kids to see when they take pictures with Santa. I would suggest that the sleigh be pulled by quicklings due to their speed, but I have a feeling that the Christmas Elf Union Local #452 would vociferously object to that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1