Getting to know you December 2020

Werkrobotwerk

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 24:

Ho ho ho. Have you ever seen a reindeer in person?

No no no.

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

If they were unavailable, what other animal should Santa use to drag a sleigh?

Well, if you couldn't round up a pair of Polar Bears

BISON

I think a team of four Bison could be very festive. And anything eight (tiny?) reindeer can do four BISON can do better.

Really surprised there's been no suggestion of hogs so far, …where is @Pingo when we need her?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 24:

Ho ho ho. Have you ever seen a reindeer in person? If they were unavailable, what other animal should Santa use to drag a sleigh?

Never in person, only on the TV, notably a PBS special on the Northern Lights where the documentarian obtained reindeer from a Sami herder in Finland. Gave me many ideas for a D&D campaign that visits arctic settings.

You need an animal with no interest in cookies or milk to pull Santa's sleigh, so Labradors are right out. No presents are being delivered with a team of them if they even smell food on him; it'd be a sit-down protest until they got their share. I would go more for a team of griffons, but not big D&D griffons, I'd go for the size of the ones from the Chronicles of Narnia movies. A group of those are capable of landing on a roof and not crush it.

Edited by ManvsMini
typo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

December 24:

Ho ho ho. Have you ever seen a reindeer in person? If they were unavailable, what other animal should Santa use to drag a sleigh?

Yes.  On a plate in a restaurant in Norway.  At least part of a reindeer.  Also hade some reindeer sausage.  That may have been multiple reindeer.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

December 24:

I have, it was at a mall. They had set up a holiday display with real raindeer & some guy dressed as Santa for the kids.

Why squirrels of of course!!

33938703-cartoon-santa-dog-with-a-squirr

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 24:

Yes, in a zoo

I'll either second the goats (although I disagree about them being elfholes, they're really quite nice as long as you feed them), or go with Cockatoos...a gang of Cockatoos would put to rest any arguments about whether or not he exists as they'll wake the entire neighbourhood, with and without children 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I have not seen reindeer.  I have seen moose rather up close and personal (insert quip about Corolla 1, Moose 0, and annoyance that the photos of giant moose broccoli prints in the windshield didn't turn out) and while I'd rather not experience that again (or any kind of close encounter with a moose)....

My vote is for huskies and/or malamutes.  Proper, Alaskan huskies or malamutes, not these show ones we have now, with their noticeably shorter fur.

I wrote a car off by hitting a deer. I loved that car; it was one month from being paid off and had a full tank of gas. I know a lady who breeds Canadian Eskimo dogs. They're really neat. They have a mane/ruff and are big. If you look at old pictures of Inuit with their dogs, that's exactly what they look like. 

21 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 24:

Not in person, but I want to canoe to Hudson's Bay, and will hopefully see many. We call them caribou. 

A muskox named Fred would work quite nicely, I think.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 24:

Yes, I have.

Since magic is involved ( I've never seen a flying reindeer), I'm gonna add vote for sled dogs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1