Sign in to follow this  
Werkrobotwerk

Getting to know you December 2020

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 3:

It's a food question! What's the best thing you've done with holiday leftovers?

We go through them pretty quickly as they are. Though the mashed potatoes do require a bit more gravy after refrigeration. Turkey leftovers may be the one exception where they get converted to chicken pot pies.

That's the true magic of Christmas, when turkeys transform into chickens.

Worst thing we did with leftovers would be related to that one year most of us got food poisoning (lots of throwing up in the following two days). We think it was from the turkey, yet my brother-in-law who ate from the same bird was spared.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 3:

I often make succotash (corn, lima beans, and red pepper) as a veggie for Thanksgiving.  I learned several years back that if I buy a box of pie crusts ahead of time, I can mix chopped turkey, the leftover succotash, and the turkey gravy and use it as a filling for an amazing pot pie.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 3:

7 hours ago, VitM said:

Eaten them? 

Yup, pretty much this.

The carcass of the bird gets boiled down to make turkey soup.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 3:

Just the usual for us. Turkey, cranberry, and stuffing sandwiches. We're also still eating out cheeses we got for a meat and cheese tray. I got a little over zealous and ordered for like 4+ people when there was just the two of us. Haven't figured out a fun way to use it aside from just eating it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

December 3:

I like to make my own style of the KFC Famous Bowl.  Basically take all the things and put it in a bowl and top with gravy and cheese.

Yeah that's right I top it with cheese and gravy!  I'm not proud but it's how I roll! 

• Like 10

December 3:

most years I'll do soup after Thanksgiving or or Christmas using leftover ham or turkey. 

This year I did turkey noodle casserole instead, and turkey ramen, because I had no bones to make a good turkey soup with. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, SparrowMarie said:

Just the usual for us. Turkey, cranberry, and stuffing sandwiches. We're also still eating out cheeses we got for a meat and cheese tray. I got a little over zealous and ordered for like 4+ people when there was just the two of us. Haven't figured out a fun way to use it aside from just eating it.

Instead of drinking games played during a movie/TV show, replace taking a shot with a piece of cheese. Though you might need to throw in a "take a laxative" phrase, just in case.

• Haha 10

3 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

It can be grated and frozen for use later. Most cheese can be melted into soup, or used as a topping for something. 

I didn't make all that much food this year. We ate the leftovers.  Made the obligatory turkey stock (froze 3 qts), a batch of turkey noodle soup, and tonight the grand finale: pot pie.   

I attempted turkey toaster pastries once, but found them structurally unstable.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 3:

I know everyone is going to throw their leftovers at me, but I really don't like traditional Western turkey dinner with fixings. At all. In fact, I usually eat before I go to such dinners because I dislike the food so much. Being gluten intolerant doesn't help. 

I do like to use ham in soups and have a great corn chowder recipe that uses creamed corn. I make turkey tettrazzini and curried turkey croissants or use it in soup. When I make a duck I get a pile of soup, veggie rolls and fried rice out of it because it is too rich to just eat. I make muffins out of cranberry sauce and have made gnocchi out of the potatoes. I do like pumpkin pie and whipped cream. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I know everyone is going to throw their leftovers at me, but I really don't like traditional Western turkey dinner with fixings. At all. In fact, I usually eat before I go to such dinners because I dislike the food so much. Being gluten intolerant doesn't help.

For Christmas, my family varies it from year to year.

I know it's the one time of the year my mother always tries to make Beef Wellington and getting it evenly cooked. It's quite an expensive cut of meat. But it makes for extremely tasty leftovers.

Other years, it's either turkey or ham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

The carcass of the bird gets boiled down to make turkey soup.

I have the pots large enough to boil whole turkeys, so that’s what usually happens and the results end up as some sort of turkey barley vegetable soup.  This year the bones from the turkey breast weren’t worth boiling, so I’ll have to use the leftover meat I’ve reserved for soup with some commercial stock.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

December 4:

Wizards are a traditional subject to paint on the side of a panel van, but what fantasy topic would you paint on other vehicles? Tell us about why you think the vehicle and painting would go together.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 4:

Wizards are a traditional subject to paint on the side of a panel van, but what fantasy topic would you paint on other vehicles? Tell us about why you think the vehicle and painting would go together.

Dragons and werewolves come to mind right off the bat, but I'm kind of looking forward to trying my paw at an angry, vengeful goose in overalls wielding a massive wrench... Would look good on an A-10 I suspect. 

Nobody expects the vengeance of a goose. 

Kind of tempted to also try my paw at a Kitsune on an F-22 as well...  Or a Cougar, or the classic Nigh Hawk - the Canadian ones, not the US ones. 

Or a Rambo squirrel demanding your cookies... 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1