Painting Silvergrey Hair???

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Prime white, thin layer of ash grey, vampire mist medium highlight, linon white high light, black wash for darkest shadow?

Looks good, I don't have those particular colours though.

I do have a lot of Scale 75 and Vallejo and Reaper paints.

I do have the Vampire Skin triad, the Stone Grey Triad.

Need to see what compares to these.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Looks good, I don't have those particular colours though.

I do have a lot of Scale 75 and Vallejo and Reaper paints.

I do have the Vampire Skin triad, the Stone Grey Triad.

Need to see what compares to these.

sorry, I have mostly out of production greys, I'm actually waiting for new ones to get delivered today or tomorrow.

but the big thing is your mid tones and shadows seem to be slightly blue greys, and your highlights are a little yellow. so as long as the colors you use are similar it should work

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just got done painting a mini with the more grey-white hair that could probably work rather well for the color with less highlighting. I was originally going for a more white hair, but ended up more of a grey that looked pretty good...it was last months free GW mini that I picked up, one of their dark elves that I wanted to try a drow type coloration for (actually managed an interesting skin tone as well).

Base coated with FolkArt Cottage White (a craft paint), one of the few cool grey/white colors that I have), washed with FW Black Acrylic Ink (watered down to about 1:7 ink to water), then worked my way back up with the Cottage white (first darkened slightly with some of the watered down ink) and worked up with highlights to a pure white (I used Army Painter...it's the older version of the Kings of War paint starter from when they first launched the game itself). I highlighted to the point it's a lot brighter, but for what you'd want, less of the brighter highlights ought to work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since you have Scale 75 you can use their series of more or less neutral greys that you would use for steel NMM. White/Nacar/Graphite/Anthracite Gray/Black. Alternatively you could use some other shades such as Petroleum Gray/Brown Gray/Rainy Gray/Mojave White, but these obviously have some color to them.  They would shift the shadows towards purple and add some yellow/brown to the highlights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Auberon said:

Since you have Scale 75 you can use their series of more or less neutral greys that you would use for steel NMM. White/Nacar/Graphite/Anthracite Gray/Black. Alternatively you could use some other shades such as Petroleum Gray/Brown Gray/Rainy Gray/Mojave White, but these obviously have some color to them.  They would shift the shadows towards purple and add some yellow/brown to the highlights.

Those I all have!

• Like 1

I use Reaper's Black Indigo for this kind of hair.  I basecoat with the black indigo.  I then add tiny amounts of a strong white like Vallejo Ivory to the indigo and make progressively brighter highlights.  at the end, I give the whole thing a wash with the same black indigo to tie it all together.  At that moment, you can glaze with a different colour, like Reaper Imperial Purple, to change the tint of the hair colour to be more purple than indigo.

1615139249_20200525_224615-Copy.jpg.a4cdb173835a17d59adfe580bf36136c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1