Scorpion pop-up rule....

Astral Rogue

OK people, I have been searching for a friend who asked me where this rule came from, I remember seeing it as either an advance discussion or some such thing. I just can not find it anywhere... some one please help...

the rule is the one where the scorpion can rise up on it's legs to shoot over low terrain etc. then drop again,

Or am I just on drugs, and dreaming I saw this. He really wants to know as he loves the dang Scorpion CAVs...

Thanks..

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I originally brought it up on Mil-Net (or maybe the old BL forums we used to run) along time ago after the first tournament we ran back in Oct 2001. The Scorp was brand new at the time and players at our tourament asked about it hiding behind level 1 hills, so we came up with the rule that the controlling player could pick whether the Scorpion was using the hill as cover, or firing over it.

If it was ever discussed officially, it was probably either on the original BL forums at Mil-Net or on the one that used to be here. Too bad they're both toast. :down:

I'm opposed to it myself. If my Hawk VI can't see over level 2 why should anyone's Spider be able to see over level 1?

If it has some "ability" to do so then every CAV in the game is going to become a multi-legger because it would be so easy to hide.

I think allowing it sets a dangerous precedent.

LOS is LOS.

LOS is LOS

Agreed...

I suppose it comes down to how much "abstract" thinking you want in the game and how much you're willing to "accept" the fact that miniatures are just "static" representations of reality (perceived sci-fi reality that is). You just CAN'T get a complete and accurate transfer of reality.

Having said that... there is one great golden rule in CAV that would make the "pop-up rule" acceptable.

If I can see/shoot you, then you can see/shoot me

Just apply some defensive fire and call it good.

Personally I could go either way with it. The majority of players seemingly go with LOS is LOS. The more players can stick with the "core" rules, the better IMO.

Whenever you add a special ability you run the risk of unbalancing the game (look at MWDA for a good example)

You would either need to increase the point cost of the model or create a penality for using the special ability (see Hybred flight option)

Other then that I wouldn't have a problem with it... <_<

Actually I have never had a problem with it. It might not be official rules, but that's why the question.

No, not all mecha would become multi-leg they can't and keep their configs and battlefield use.

It made sense to me that the CAV could rise on it's multi part legs to see over level 1 terrain and then drop back into cover, yes you get the defensive fire back.

I am yet to see this "break" any balance the game has. And I've played every game, except official demos with this rule; it makes for some fun...

Spiders don't need to pop-up they seem to get used for other things than direct fire..

But just to make sure you all know, this is not an official rule so ignore this thread if you don't like it.. :B): sorry.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure the 3rd printing was going to have something in it about this, but I've always used the multi-leg popup attack as being you expose yourself for the minimum amount of time, so you suffer Defensive Fire but not your opponent's offensive fire unless they move to get a LoS/LoF.

Perhaps each and every CAV should have this ability, and I suppose for the missiles that's not such a bad idea. However, the Scorpion and Spider can do it simply because their weapons are on their backs which means they can simply go on tip-toes and unmask their weapon. Think of the Longbow and the regular Apache... the Longbow can unmask only the mast mounted sight and get a shot off, while the Apache has to unmask the whole aircraft - it's just where the sights are.

And one thing people should bear in mind, multi-leg CAV's already pay a premium for their ability, and I think they're also limited to one primary mount. Perhaps this is a way to give a little something back.

Perhaps each and every CAV should have this ability

Think of the Longbow and the regular Apache... the Longbow can unmask only the mast mounted sight and get a shot off, while the Apache has to unmask the whole aircraft - it's just where the sights are.

And one thing people should bear in mind, multi-leg CAV's already pay a premium for their ability, and I think they're also limited to one primary mount. Perhaps this is a way to give a little something back.

Good points all.

I'd be okay with some kind of a "snap-fire" rule for quick shots from behind cover.

Kind of a "lean out, fire, lean back" kinda thing.

The only problem I have with the whole issue is that CAV doesn't have a way to apply the damage correctly. If you only unmask the weapon and use the guncam for targetting, then all the defensive fire should apply only to the weapon...since its the only thing exposed. However, that would seriously change the damage system and, of course, slow down the game.