Dice Mechanics Question

Ii'm just getting back into CAV after being gone since the beginning of 2nd edition when it used the RAGE system.  I have supported the last 2 KS, even though I haven't been playing or painting with the expectation I would come back someday.  That day turned out to be last week.  I stumbled across the Facebook page, the twitch streams, and YouTube vids covering the expansion of 3E (strike operations) and the new models coming out along with the new dual cast miniatures.

Now for the question.  After reviewing the strike operations quick start rules and watching a few BatReps, I don't understand why strike operations uses 2d6 instead of a d12 or the old d10.  Does anyone know the reasoning?  While the 2d6 bell curve has interesting  probabilities, the extra time it takes to roll (especially with multiple attacks/weapons) slows the game down.  This mechanic is actually one of the things I really dislike about Battletech the most.  Is there the possibility that Talon could support optional rules in the future using a single d12 system, especially since the rules already require d12s for tracking damage.  Even though I would prefer a d12, I would even prefer going back to a d10 like 2E over 2D6.  Obviously you can house rule anything, but it's always nicer/easier when they are optional rules supported by the core rule book (such as the optional rules in Battletech Alpha Strike).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely unofficial answer here... but it's got to be the bell curve - the results of which are predictable. 

As a game designer you can assign values to weapons, systems, and hit rolls that produce fairly predictable results.

A d12 literally has a 1/12 chance of producing any result every time your roll the dice.

Need a 12 to headshot and kill a mech? With a d12 you should do so once every 12 rolls.

With 2d6 it happens once every 36 rolls.

(Note, rolling a 12 on 2d6 does head shot a CAV) :)

Just my 2 cents!

J--

• Like 5
  • Reaper User

Hi Octo,

Its like James mentioned, the bell curve for 2d6 makes it easier for a game designer to predict the usual results on an attack. While it can seem to take longer to roll multiple attacks with more dice, the bell curve actually speeds up the overall game as there are more "hits" for damage, knocking out a unit faster (as the 2d6 roll pushes the average roll higher). I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but with the 2d6 roll CAVSO gives an attack somewhere around 80% of the time to hit with around a 50% chance to damage. Absolute randomness can be fun, but I dont think (IMHO) that it makes a game "better." With that being said, I see no reason you couldn't use a d12 for your games, replacing the double 1 roll with a single d12 "1" roll and make the "2" just another number.

Edited by CAVBOSS
  • Like 1

There would be no easy way to switch from 2d6 to 1d12 without skewing game balance. The reason is that a +1 modifier (be it due to different model stats or conditional modifiers) offers a nonlinear benefit on 2d6, as opposed to an additional 10% chance on a d10 or 8.3% on a d12. Any system calibrated around one probability distribution will not translate smoothly to the other.

• Like 2
  • Reaper User
17 hours ago, Vil-hatarn said:

There would be no easy way to switch from 2d6 to 1d12 without skewing game balance. The reason is that a +1 modifier (be it due to different model stats or conditional modifiers) offers a nonlinear benefit on 2d6, as opposed to an additional 10% chance on a d10 or 8.3% on a d12. Any system calibrated around one probability distribution will not translate smoothly to the other.

I understand the "odds" change around due to the different probabilities, but as most mods are +1's or +2's it shouldn't throw it that far out oh whack (especially as a lot of them are based off the old d10 system anyway). You will see a more varied set of results due to the odds being more leveled. Try it out and if works go for it, if it doesn't then plan B.

• Like 1