Sign in to follow this  
CptSlowhand

CAV: SO Questions

Greetings All,

I had some great CAV2 games back in the day with a good friend of mine who passed away and haven't really found the heart to play in the last 7 years or so.  A lot has happened to CAV since I left!  I am looking for some honest, reasonable opinions from you all on some pretty big questions:

How does CAV: SO stack up to CAV2, specifically in terms of fluff (it is important to me), play style and ease of play?  In your opinions, is it worth getting back into CAV with Strike Operations, or just going with the old, known quantity?  Last big question, does SO play well as a multi-player game with small, allied forces 2-3 players per side? (I will probably only be getting games in as con/demo games at our local, monthly mini-conventions)

Thanks for the help in advance.

About the most generous way I can put it is...it's not the same. Not a fan of either the game, or the way it's been handled, personally. Most of the background was scrapped or heavily revised. Rules engine has changed from 1d10 to 2d6. The improved availability of models with the plastics is nice, though a fair number of them have been tweaked or rescaled from the metal originals so be aware of that.

When I play, I stick to CAV2, houseruled to include some balance changes that were in the pipeline.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CptSlowhand said:

Greetings All,

I had some great CAV2 games back in the day with a good friend of mine who passed away and haven't really found the heart to play in the last 7 years or so.  A lot has happened to CAV since I left!  I am looking for some honest, reasonable opinions from you all on some pretty big questions:

How does CAV: SO stack up to CAV2, specifically in terms of fluff (it is important to me), play style and ease of play?  In your opinions, is it worth getting back into CAV with Strike Operations, or just going with the old, known quantity?  Last big question, does SO play well as a multi-player game with small, allied forces 2-3 players per side? (I will probably only be getting games in as con/demo games at our local, monthly mini-conventions)

Thanks for the help in advance.

Its not CAV2, being more aligned with the first edition (instead of rolling vs opponent you roll vs a set target number). We have changed things to the universe and if you were a diehard CAV2 fan, chances are you wont like it. You can get a good feel of it from here... https://www.talon-games.com/downloads/qs2020.pdf

I will be glad to answer any questions you may have!

• Like 2

@CptSlowhand

I never got to play Cav2 so I can't comment on those questions. I can share my experience with CAV:SO as a multiplayer game. Our group here in Tulsa primarily played that way before Covid shut us down. 

Typically, we'd each run a squad and play the game the normal way otherwise. It really made for good games with up to 6 players (3 per side). It let us help the newer folks by pairing them with the vets.

I'd say give it a try... The quick start rules are free. The rulebook comes with a free squad.

The new minis are fantastic imo.

Hope to see you across the table some day!

Edited by jsalyers
  • Like 2

Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate the honest opinions.  I will probably pick up a SO rulebook.  If I am too offended it will have an honoured place on my shelf with the myriad of other rules sets that were good but didn't quite make it.  I think VOID is there, as are my beloved Warhammer Ancients rulebooks.  Good to see that some form of CAV is still plugging along these days.

• Like 3