Coal Black question

In the Getting to Know You thread, some of you mentioned you like Coal Black.

18 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

December 11:

Are there any of the special paints that you use a lot of? (I mean the limited time ones with numbers starting with 09, like coal black ) alternatively have you ever gotten a really good sample bottle?

17 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I got my first bottle of your example, Coal Black, around this time last year and am getting awful low on it. Really love that color.

7 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I like coal black as well. I bought more bottles than I'm willing to admit to last year. I use it for like almost everything. My other black paint is getting jealous. :lol:

How do you use it?  As a base color, highlight, glaze, wash?  I've been wondering why the color is popular.  If I painted more with black, I could probably figure it out for myself.

• Like 2
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Serenity said:

How do you use it?  As a base color, highlight, glaze, wash?  I've been wondering why the color is popular.  If I painted more with black, I could probably figure it out for myself.

I use it mostly for base coating and details like pupils on eyes. It's a lovely but subtle green black. I'm sure it could be nice as a glaze, not sure about a wash though. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Serenity said:

In the Getting to Know You thread, some of you mentioned you like Coal Black.

I think it's just a good all around off-black color. Works good as a base, as a glaze, or even as highlights on top of other, more solid blacks.

• Like 1
On 12/12/2020 at 4:24 PM, Baugi said:

I haven't used the Reaper Coal Black.  Is it like the P3 one?  P3 Coal Black is basically a very dark teal.

It's similar, but Reaper's version is quite a bit darker and has a bit more green than blue. More of a super dark green/blue than P3's blue/green teal.

Reaper had a color called 61121 R.A.M. Black that was almost a dead match to P3's Coal Black, but it's out of production as it was for Heavy Gear. It isn't really needed if you have the P3 color. 

Secret Weapon has a color called Tire Black that is VERY close to Reaper's Coal Black. It seems to be a tiny bit less matte than Reaper's color, though. Secret Weapon paints are made by Reaper. Tire black comes in a nice triad along with Rubber & Rubber Highlight. That said, Rubber & Rubber Highlight are more blue/grey than any of the others (the only greyish tones among the 6 colors). Nice for painting dark leather & black dragons.

Basically, if you love Reaper's Coal Black and run out, SW Tire Black is a good alternative. If you prefer a lighter, more teal version, P3 has you covered. I have all of these paints and compared them on a well pallet while writing this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hmm... I may have to get the P3 Coal Black... Your run-down gave me an interesting idea...

Painting a black dragon, where you layer the two different coal blacks scattered around on different scales. Some scales would come off more green with their shine, while others would be more teal. 

I’ll definitely have to keep this in mind... guess I’d better go throw another Aganzarax into my cart in the Bones 5 PM...