Bones USA Feedback Thread.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bones USA review, part 2:   Mould lines: behave more or less the same as on Bones Black. Specifically, some of them can be scraped off, but they do not want to, so it will be necessary to ca

Update #2: Super glue works fine, especially when combined with acrylic resin (vallejo plastic putty) which is a combo I use alot as it sets faster then just superglue and is rock hard. The resin acts

Once we are ready then yes! We plan to talk about it, but it is still to early and we dont want to give away our secrets! :) As this is a big deal, being one of the first companies to start producing

Posted Images

• Super Administrators
On 1/2/2021 at 2:44 PM, R2ED said:

It's not the end of the world.  I'm pretty sure they can be filled in.  I mean, if they want to send another i won't say no, but I'm already so impressed with how Reaper addresses their community.  This is a minor thing. 

Yeah you can send an email to [email protected] and they will send you a new one! that should address the cracking issues, I will bring this to the QC department and add a note to the model! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got my Bones USA Lysette today:-

zr3JMFd.jpg

First impressions are very positive. 

There's little plastic nubs on the tip of her sword, staff and underneath of her base that need removing but I can't see any mold-lines so far.

Detail-wise, this new stuff seems capable of holding much finer detail compared to the Bones Black minis I have (although that could just be down to differences in sculpting style).

She's a bit sparkly (I'm guessing that's the mold release), so she's getting a wash and then I'll see what prepping and priming are like.

• Like 11
On 12/31/2020 at 6:33 AM, Maledrakh said:

Educated guesstimate based on historical evidence: Both yes and no. at least for the forseeable future.

Even though they might move a lot of production inhouse to the USA with the Bones USA material, they will still be needing Chinese factories that make the classic and the Bones black, simply to be able to deal with the bulk of the production as long as they are running kickstarters with 10.000+ pledgers.

They still produce new Bones classic models through the kickstarters such as the still being produced Bones 5. Even though many or even most of the human-sized and smaller models are moving towards Bones Black, there will still be alot of larger minis made in "classic" Bones.

And when I say "Classic Bones" it is worth noting that there also has been a significant development of that material over the years. What is made in classic bones today is a far cry from the rubbery, detail-phobic material of most of the first(and second, even thought there was a marked improvement there as well) bones KS. Compare any of the stark white bones models with the models in the Bones 4 Core set for example, both are sold as "classic bones".

However, I can see them increasingly moving to in house Bones USA for restocks when the initial china-production runs out.

Mal, thanks for your comments above; fingers crossed the Classic Bones line continues into the foreseeable future.  Jon, can you hint at plans for long-term production?

I'm relatively new to Reaper, but the level of detail combined with the durability/degree of pliability the Classic Bones line has and the ability to do a quick hot water fix on the polymer are huge for me.  I'm teaching my kids to play some DnD, and the Bones figures I've collected have survived the gauntlet (however two figures met their doom in the jaws of the German Shepherd).

Edited by hydroman19
  • Like 6

First impression of Bones USA is that the detail is higher but it is starting to veer into Breakable Territory, which partially defeats the purpose of Bones figures: flingable and hard to break.

My Krampus arrived in an immaculate blister pack, but was broken at the ankles. That is not the hallmark of a resilient figure. I may expect it from a fragile resin with thin features but not this model in a non-squashed package. 

It will be an easy one to glue back together and I do not need Reaper to send a new one (already emailed about a missing familiar - the one I needed - from the order). 

The Bones USA detail seems to have bridged the metal-Bones resolution gap at first look. Minor flashing/mold lines but minimal and easy to deal with. Nothing concerning there. 

Only durability disappointment. I get metal/resin for Pretty Figures, Bones for Getting Abused Figures. So I won't want it for that purpose. 

20210105_224811.jpg

20210105_224809.jpg

20210105_224823.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 5
1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

First impression of Bones USA is that the detail is higher but it is starting to veer into Breakable Territory, which partially defeats the purpose of Bones figures: flingable and hard to break.

My Krampus arrived in an immaculate blister pack, but was broken at the ankles. That is not the hallmark of a resilient figure. I may expect it from a fragile resin with thin features but not this model in a non-squashed package. 

It will be an easy one to glue back together and I do not need Reaper to send a new one (already emailed about a missing familiar - the one I needed - from the order). 

The Bones USA detail seems to have bridged the metal-Bones resolution gap at first look. Minor flashing/mold lines but minimal and easy to deal with. Nothing concerning there. 

Only durability disappointment. I get metal/resin for Pretty Figures, Bones for Getting Abused Figures. So I won't want it for that purpose. 

20210105_224811.jpg

20210105_224809.jpg

20210105_224823.jpg

Yeah, I use a lot of mine for D&D. Bones Black are nice. I use flight stands and terrain and have 5 players plus me so things do get knocked over. Durable is high on my list.

• Like 6

Having some odd observations on mold line clean up. 

The legs were obviously brittle. The horns were bendy and had small mold lines - should be easy to get off with a Xacto. Wrong.

While the mold line on the leg came off as normal, the horn was gummy to the knife and kinda peeled the plastic in chunks making it worse. I think something must have gone wrong in the casting of this one. The top part my knife peeled up is more opaque than the stuff underneath - inside of the horn is more translucent. It is weird. 

20210106_004335.jpg

Definitely going to need to get material consistent across a figure. This is weird as heck. Tail is fine too. Something went wonky in the horns. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 4

S88Y8po.jpg

Cleaned her up.

There were a few minor mold-lines to clean up, which needed to be sliced and sanded off not scrapped, which I think is in line with previous Bones minis (it's been too long since I worked on any).

She also primed up well.

In regardless to durability, Lysette feels firm but flexible, I'm pretty sure she could stand up to being knocked off a table.

So far, so good and looking forward to seeing what next months mini is.

• Like 8
  • Super Administrators
On 1/2/2021 at 1:52 PM, Ratmaster2000 said:

@Reaper_JonSo, is lisette the only model available ATM? I know on the website it shows all the LTPK models (like mangu and the skeletons), but can you only get those in the kit? I have been trying to get more skeleton archers and no restock has come, any chance we can get the individual LTPK mini's? I'd love to see how the new archers in Bones USA are:) 

Yes we are waiting on Bones USA backer cards to arrive, they are ready to go. There will be a slow growing process as we are still figuring out the new process and will slowly add things to the line over time instead of a huge dump of stuff into it all at once.

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Reaper_Jon said:

Yes we are waiting on Bones USA backer cards to arrive, they are ready to go. There will be a slow growing process as we are still figuring out the new process and will slowly add things to the line over time instead of a huge dump of stuff into it all at once.

Awesome, I cannot wait to get some new archers!

• Like 2
  • Super Administrators
16 hours ago, hydroman19 said:

Jon, can you hint at plans for long-term production?

The pie in the sky, magical christmas land plan would be to have everything made here %100 in our factory. But, that will likely never be the case, but we can get close as possible. So i would expect some older bones models to transition over to Bones USA slowly over time as well as newer models in the future if they are permitted. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Reaper_Jon said:

The pie in the sky, magical christmas land plan would be to have everything made here %100 in our factory. But, that will likely never be the case, but we can get close as possible. So i would expect some older bones models to transition over to Bones USA slowly over time as well as newer models in the future if they are permitted. 

Don't you just love it when your guesstimates turn out to be correct? :winkthumbs:

• Like 6
On 1/5/2021 at 7:02 AM, aku-chan said:

Got my Bones USA Lysette today:-

zr3JMFd.jpg

First impressions are very positive. 

There's little plastic nubs on the tip of her sword, staff and underneath of her base that need removing but I can't see any mold-lines so far.

Detail-wise, this new stuff seems capable of holding much finer detail compared to the Bones Black minis I have (although that could just be down to differences in sculpting style).

She's a bit sparkly (I'm guessing that's the mold release), so she's getting a wash and then I'll see what prepping and priming are like.

Vampire perhaps?? :poke:

Is the sword nubs part of the "sprue" that didn't get snipped all the way or just flash?

I need to get a order in with her in it. Curious & hopeful this lineup will work just as well as previous Bones lines. Now I just need to decide to wait for the new releases (not many in there I really want) or just order her by herself.  Thou I will admit, I'm kinda partial to the Werner version (ie link to old school Reaper) but I do like this version by Mr Jackson as well.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:55 PM, Cyradis said:

20210105_224811.jpg

20210105_224809.jpg

20210105_224823.jpg

Flying version........

• Like 2
1 hour ago, haldir said:

Is the sword nubs part of the "sprue" that didn't get snipped all the way or just flash?

I need to get a order in with her in it. Curious & hopeful this lineup will work just as well as previous Bones lines. Now I just need to decide to wait for the new releases (not many in there I really want) or just order her by herself.  Thou I will admit, I'm kinda partial to the Werner version (ie link to old school Reaper) but I do like this version by Mr Jackson as well.

I think the nub underneath her base was from being snipped off the sprue, but the others are just flash.

Actually, I prefer this Lysette because I was never too keen on how Werner Klocke sculpts faces. 

• Like 4

@Reaper_Jon, sorry to bother you, but the UK site has already ran out of the Bones USA Lysette. I was going to order one last week, but I didn't trust paints in the -7°C temperature that we were experiencing ::(: 

I realize that a quick restock isn't possible in the current shipping climate, but could you tell me if she's going to be an ongoing stock item or an exclusive for this month only?

• Like 2