Bones USA Feedback Thread.

• Super Administrators
13 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

@Reaper_Jon, sorry to bother you, but the UK site has already ran out of the Bones USA Lysette. I was going to order one last week, but I didn't trust paints in the -7°C temperature that we were experiencing ::(: 

I realize that a quick restock isn't possible in the current shipping climate, but could you tell me if she's going to be an ongoing stock item or an exclusive for this month only?

She will be ongoing! 
I will message the team right now and let them know!! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bones USA review, part 2:   Mould lines: behave more or less the same as on Bones Black. Specifically, some of them can be scraped off, but they do not want to, so it will be necessary to ca

Update #2: Super glue works fine, especially when combined with acrylic resin (vallejo plastic putty) which is a combo I use alot as it sets faster then just superglue and is rock hard. The resin acts

So Christmas Eve 2020 brings gifts at the post office; a pack of Bones USA. I believe they are the LTPK models. Together with a breast cancer awareness pink. I won these in a lucky prize draw on twitc

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, right.  I bought one of these to review and then forgot about it.  Let's see...

The good:

• Overall the quality is a noticeable improvement from the original bones.
  • Nice rigidity in the body while still having some give in the sword.  It's not "bendy" but flexible enough to not be brittle.
  • Not covered in crazy mold lines.

The expected:

• Courser files tend to shred the material and leave little strands attached to the miniature.  Once I created them they were a bit of a pain to get rid of.
  • A sharp hobby knife removes mold lines fairly easily.
  • Because of the single piece nature of the figure a few areas are tricky to get at.
  • Details were a little soft in a few places, such as a couple of buckles.

The bad:

• A little piece was missing from her pouch.  We'll call it battle damage this time, and hopefully not a material issue with thin parts.
  • She comes with an oval base.
  • She is attached to the oval base.
  • Since the oval is 1" she can't just be dropped into the underside of a hollow Reaper 1" base.  If I want her based on anything other than cobblestone (likely) I have work to do.
  • She was noticeably larger than every other (metal) figure in my order.  It could have just been luck of the draw, but I'm not inclined to switch scales.
  • Like 2
  • Members
4 hours ago, Auberon said:

She was noticeably larger than every other (metal) figure in my order.  It could have just been luck of the draw, but I'm not inclined to switch scales.

From the Reaper Discord:

Lysette.jpg

USA is 38mm tall
Classic is 34
That counts the bases which is about 1mm thicker in usa

From my own testing:

I had a lot of flash in the interior gaps between the arm and hair and the inside edge of the staff. 

Bones USA paint tests..  light blue is Liquitex cerulean acrylic ink, dark purple is Monument transparent purple,  brown is Scale 75 inktensity chestnut and light purple is Daler-Rawney purple lake acrylic ink, no primer was used on the model beforehand and I don't remember if I washed it or not.

20210124_183403.jpg

Regular bones does not behave this well with inks applied without primer

• Like 7
14 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

From the Reaper Discord:

Lysette.jpg

USA is 38mm tall
Classic is 34
That counts the bases which is about 1mm thicker in usa

In general I would discourage including the base in a mini's height, but given that she is bolted on...

My preferred scale is feet to eyes, in which case she is 33mm.  The metal Warlord figures in my order were 28-30mm using the same metric.

• Like 1
  • Super Administrators
18 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

@Reaper_JonYou had mentioned a while back that the mini's in the LTPK's would be available soon. Will the skeleton archer's be available before the end of January? Just trying to plan an order:)

I know we were waiting on the new Bones USA card backing, i will double check on these to see where they are at. But we dont want to put them on generic cards or bones cards to avoid confusion.

• Like 4
On 1/6/2021 at 11:57 AM, Reaper_Jon said:

The pie in the sky, magical christmas land plan would be to have everything made here %100 in our factory. But, that will likely never be the case, but we can get close as possible. So i would expect some older bones models to transition over to Bones USA slowly over time as well as newer models in the future if they are permitted. 

I fully support this. I realize it's probably not going to be a reality, but I 100% support Reaper, and would love for 100% of the models to be American made. In the meantime thank you and the rest of the ReaperPeeps for being top notch and giving us so many options, if feasible please pass on my regards to the rest of the crew. I am eagerly awaiting more entries into this line. Cheers. 

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been cleaning the RVE bones usa minis, most of it looks really good so far, but the February monthly wizard has got some really rough mold lines, some of which are in areas that I just cannot reach without switching to sand paper. There also seem to be some voids and underfills happening with 30% of the minis, this is something you need to keep an eye on for the future. The roogtarki has one on his upper left thigh, and on the container he's holding, and a void on the top of the vest just below the surface. The arcos chopper had a void on the corner of his tool box. Also the dwarf had a fairly sizeable void on his elbow that was only visable when I started to scrape the mold line. 

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
  • Like 4

I got the Darius mini the other day. I would add to my Bones USA experience the following: 

The plastic is problematic when removing the broccoli base with clippers. The base broke and shattered like glass under the clippers, fracturing the material in more spots than where the clippers are cutting.

It does not behave similar to the other bones materials. This makes modding more difficult than with the other bones materials.

There were some rather prominent mould lines all over, and a piece of vent on the tip of the hat that was difficult to carve off without damaging the point of the hat. There was a wild blob of material(?) on the cape that needed carving and sanding.

• Like 6

Painted the assassin RVE mini. It went pretty well!

I clipped the tab off and glued it to a reaper 1 inch round rpg base. Tab came off with no trouble. Used a knife and a file to remove mold lines. Went much easier than previous bones releases which is a good thing. 

I used stynylerenz white primer applied with a brush. It went on with no issues. Then I painted mostly with the punk box fast pallet paints. I'll probably pick up another of her in the future to try with non metallic paints. 

PXL_20210214_152557381~2.jpg

• Like 11

Got multiple Lysette and Darius figs as part of my order today; I’m going to give 5 away to friends as promo for the Bones USA line and help nudge the painting hobby. I’m currently teaching two friends how to paint figs when we have free time together. 

Lysette is definitely scaled a bit large as compared to most of my other figures; she resembles more of a 35mm figure in terms of dimensions. Totally fine by me bc I don’t obsess over such things, and all my figs just play side by side on the table. 

Darius is sized right alongside the other older mags types I got in Bones 4. 

The Bones Black plastic is definitely more brittle/rigid as compared to traditional Bones but we had that intel a long time ago. Rather than remove bases I’ll either paint what’s there or, add it to another base and use moulding paste to blend it into the scene; I do this on the regular. 

• Like 6

Any word on the gumminess/brittle discrepancy that my Krampus had? And legs so brittle he broke in a perfect condition blister? Hopefully that's a rare flaw, but the gummy horns were unworkable even with a sharp Xacto. Gotta nip that sort of error so it isn't widespread. 

• Like 4
On 12/29/2020 at 12:02 PM, Maledrakh said:

Update #2: Super glue works fine, especially when combined with acrylic resin (vallejo plastic putty) which is a combo I use alot as it sets faster then just superglue and is rock hard. The resin acts also as a filler / gasket which makes the bonding surface greater.

@Maledrakh - Love me some Vallejo Plastic Putty, but I generally only use it as a filler - can you go into detail on how you use it in combination with glue? Is this a mix thing, or a apply putty to one side and glue to the other and instant adhesion type thing, or something else I'm not thinking of? Thanks in advance.

• Like 3